Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss168
Unintended/Unexpected Consequences Of Police Bodycams

Right now, there's a push both by the Feds and activists alike to get cops wearing bodycams. Seems like a good idea for accountability at the present.

However, rewind back to the late 80's and early 90's when VCR based dashcams came up and there was a lot of misgivings by LEO's and the public like the idea. Now it's the other way around. It's turned out to be a boon for cops especially in DUI and post hoc abuse charges, but has really turned juries in favor of police officers or got guilty pleas where before people would have opted for a trial.

This is 2014, not 1989. These aren't going to be simple gopros or bike cams, or at least they will be initially. Flir technology is getting cheap. Bluetooth linking to a smart phone or car computer for facial recognition like they're doing for license plates with dash cams. The unthought of implications are enormous that border on thought crimes and profiling. The cameras with FLIR technology can alert an officer to facial and bodily temperature differences that might belie deception along with voice stress analysis.

You're now possibly a suspect days,weeks,months, even years later as facial recognition gets better. Sure, they will keep cops accountable and maybe to the point that they're not going to want to do their job for fear of the slightest impropriety will get them in trouble.

Equally troubling is they are going to start reviewing the vids to write their reports rather then recall of the incident. GPS, sensors in holsters and batons will be able to feed a stream of info that can create an airproof timeline.

I'm just musing off the top of my head, but what we may be wishing for may just become the orwellian nightmare. I have no opinion one way or another yet on this. I figured I'd throw this one out and see what you guys might come up with. Implications are far reaching and interesting.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:58 PM
zin0
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:423

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 10/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss1649
Re: Unintended/Unexpected Consequences Of Police Bodycams

If they aren't doing anything wrong they shouldn't be scared to wear them. End of story.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zin0 For This Useful Post:
AmericanIllusions, GODISNOTGREAT, hal0mega, rapeWhistle, thckoitin, winvens
Old 12-06-2014, 12:32 AM
commondenom
Offline:
puelling pueman
Poster Rank:128
m

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2544 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
8/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8008

i agree with zin0...and because cops like to lie/are too stupid to remember things properly i think it's a good thing that they will have video to review when creating reports...

facial recognition could be a positive too....if it helps clear dangerous criminals off the streets i'm all for it...... though i can just see the system getting abused...i imagine cops scanning crowds looking for peopl;e who have outstanding parking tickets etc...no doubt this will result in many more deaths of basically innocent people...but then we will have footage of it....

as long as cops stop being such goddamn robots it could work....

Old 12-06-2014, 12:37 AM
Mr Poo
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:122

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4489 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8173

The only problem is the officer gets to CHOOSE when he turns it on.. He could still do whatever he wants with it off.

The reason is the volume of data to record every full shift would be massive.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:16 AM
sunairco
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1853
Male

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Poo View Post
The only problem is the officer gets to CHOOSE when he turns it on.. He could still do whatever he wants with it off.

The reason is the volume of data to record every full shift would be massive.
This is getting to be non-issue with processor speed, server reduncency, and AI. Rendering engines that are used in legal discovery cases that churn incessently throug OCR legal documents and depositions unattendended are making jr partners and paralegals redundant because of the precision and high rate of accuracy with vastly superior results over man hours of review. That's moving into law enforcement at an unprecendented, record rate for text documents. It's just a matter of time when audio and video rendering catches up.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:57 AM
Mr Poo
Offline:

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8173

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunairco View Post
This is getting to be non-issue with processor speed, server reduncency, and AI. Rendering engines that are used in legal discovery cases that churn incessently throug OCR legal documents and depositions unattendended are making jr partners and paralegals redundant because of the precision and high rate of accuracy with vastly superior results over man hours of review. That's moving into law enforcement at an unprecendented, record rate for text documents. It's just a matter of time when audio and video rendering catches up.
I know it's possible, but I'm talking about data storage issues. To be able to retain all that data with the size of current drives would take a massive infrastructure databases. Were talking hundreds of millions to billions. In the future, about 5 years down the line this issue will be resolved. That's the reason why they only turn them on when they want. It would be more logical to have them on whenever someone is on a shift for liability but they don't because they can't as of yet.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:48 AM
deanmine
Offline:
They Lied. There ALL LIES
Poster Rank:221
<--We did it. So Can You
Contributions: 48

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 8/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss3968

i have unlimited storage in the "cloud" for like $15

GODISNOTGREAT, rapeWhistle
Old 12-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Mr Poo
Offline:

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8173

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmine View Post
i have unlimited storage in the "cloud" for like $15
However you're not every officer in the US recording 40 hours of video every week, needing to keep those videos secure on their own servers in their own data center.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr Poo For This Useful Post:
Biishya, deanmine, K9Grip, winvens
Old 12-06-2014, 07:49 PM
deanmine
Offline:
They Lied. There ALL LIES
Poster Rank:221
<--We did it. So Can You
Contributions: 48

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 8/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss3968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Poo View Post
US recording 40 hours of video every week,
i hear ya, the logistics and implementation is always harder, longer and more expensive. but many store owners have been storing many cameras 24-7 along with data backups etc etc.. theres plenty of examples to scale this from

Old 12-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Mr Poo
Offline:

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8173

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmine View Post
i hear ya, the logistics and implementation is always harder, longer and more expensive. but many store owners have been storing many cameras 24-7 along with data backups etc etc.. theres plenty of examples to scale this from
5-10 years it won't be a problem anymore. Current technology would bottleneck at the hdds. Once Petabyte size drives are available it's game on.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Poo For This Useful Post:
deanmine