Quoted: 4573 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 14/20
Today Posts
4/11 ssss11710
Re: Ukraine Crisis: Russia Demands Guarantees from Nato

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
Sanctions won't cripple Russia, but they will isolate them a little. Of course Russia can become self reliant. But it won't. Russia isn't interested in just becoming a self reliant nation, Russia wants to become a major world power. And becoming self reliant doesn't accomplish that. A nation that is forced into isolation will find it extremely difficult to expand its influence, which is what Russia wants.

If Russia wanted to become a rich vibrant nation it could do so. But Russia doesn't want to just be a rich nation, they want to be a Super power like they once were. Instead of spending it's wealth on infrastructure and investing in its people, Russia is spending billions on military. As well as supporting other nations military capabilities. As Russia did in the cold war, they are drawing lines and picking allies.
Exactly why the U.S's military budget cut is more damaging than good, in the long run.

niknik
Old 11-21-2014, 01:07 PM
commondenom
Offline:
puelling pueman
Poster Rank:128
m

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2544 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
8/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8008

lolol...you guys are living in the 60s still

The Following User Says Thank You to commondenom For This Useful Post:
rob666
Old 11-21-2014, 01:42 PM
niknik
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:68
Conservative OG

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Quoted: 6771 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss13673

I think Russia is living in the sixties.

The Following User Says Thank You to niknik For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001
The Following Users Disliked This Post By niknik:
commondenom
Old 11-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Oswald2001
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:99

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 15/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss10534

Russia, when your time is up...your time is up.

Try every trick in the book.

Nothing will help you.

You're going the way of the Czars.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:44 PM
ralucagymnast
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:289

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2812

To be honest, Russia is still very much a nation in a state of transition at the moment. Its trying to undo the chaos left behind by more than half a century of communism. After the collapse of the USSR in 1991, a lot of people got very rich very quickly as Russia opened up its door to free market and enterprise aka capitalism. Organised crime mushroomed, the oligarchs were able to infiltrate every single echelon of politics.Dont forget, before Stalin, Russia was very much a peasant feudal land with a draconian dictatorial monarchy in charge.After the Revolution, Russia made ENORMOUS progress, so much so that in 30 years they were able to achieve what would have taken 150-200 years in the West to achieve.But it came with a terrible toll, in terms of human lives lost to slave labour in the Gulags. But you cannot deny the fact that in just 30 years it became one of the major players on the world stage; a true superpower. In just 4 years it was able to develop an atomic bomb, something the West thought would be impossible to achieve. Russia was able to marshall all its resources into one project in a way that no other country could. After WW2 Russia was literally "on its knees"; its infrastructure had been damaged almost irreparably, but in 4 short years, it was able to build nuclear weapons. Quite an incredible achievement for a country which had been almost annihilated by war. Dont forget, I lived in Romania, under Ceausescu's rule; we had a state apartment, bread on the table, clothes on our backs. We had an education, excelled in sports. Of course "material goods" were very hard to come by, but what youve never had, you never miss it? Russia today is trying to undo the damage of more than half a century of chaos. To be honest, I dont see why NATO is still around? NATO was created after WW2 to counter the threat posed by the USSR and the armies of the Warsaw Pact. Once USSR fell, so did the Warsaw Pact, so why is NATO not redundant also?? I dont really think that Russia wants to attack anybody; they are trying to build up a strong economy, just like any other country. What is wrong with that?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ralucagymnast For This Useful Post:
commondenom, Mr Poo, rob666
Old 11-21-2014, 04:55 PM
commondenom
Offline:
puelling pueman
Poster Rank:128
m

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2544 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
8/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8008

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
I think Russia is living in the sixties.

i don't think so...russia is looking towards the future...whereas you guys seem to think the cold war situation is still current....no doubt a product of fear mongering media

The Following Users Disliked This Post By commondenom:
niknik
Old 11-21-2014, 05:24 PM
niknik
Offline:
Conservative OG

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss13673

Russia is spending billions on military, and modernizing it's nuclear weapons. They've greatly increased its air patrols and surveillance around American territories. As well as been very active running numerous large military exercises.

Russia is preparing for war. Not that I think they want to fight the United States, but they want to be strong enough it would be foolish for America to interfere in their plans.

Sure they want a strong economy. At whose expense? I think Russia has already shown why NATO is still very much needed. If Putin was only looking for peaceful prosperity then why did he point to his nuclear weapons recently?

Why does Putin invade Ukraine? How is that not attacking anybody?

Most importantly why does Russia have so many nuclear weapons? In a time that America has been bound by treaties and agreements to decommission nuclear stockpiles. Russia has it's nuclear program going full throttle. Which is why they are currently so bold, Putin either believes he can defeat the west, or the west will be intimidated.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:27 PM
niknik
Offline:
Conservative OG

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss13673

Quote:
Originally Posted by commondenom View Post
i don't think so...russia is looking towards the future...whereas you guys seem to think the cold war situation is still current....no doubt a product of fear mongering media
Of course they're looking towards the future. And obviously they think the future needs 5000 nuclear weapons in their possession.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:36 PM
TheVrist
Offline:
😉
Poster Rank:88
dude
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4573 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 14/20
Today Posts
4/11 ssss11710

Anyone that don't see Russia is building an future, with aggressive intent, are either blind and naive, or just wish bad things for the west.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:21 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Russia isn't doing anything that we are not, bottom line.

When your nation spends more on its military than the next 10 nations combined, has every form of WMD ever developed, and has its military spread around the World to protect and promote that nations interests........ Who are we to criticize Russia?

The Following User Says Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
commondenom