Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss244
UK Music Site Shut Down by SOCA

Quote:
Users of RnBXclusive.com were greeted with this message after the site was taken down on Tuesday morning.

Music site RnBXclusive.com has been shut down by the UK's Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca).

A takedown notice warned visitors who have used the site to download music they could face up to 10 years imprisonment and an unlimited fine.

Soca said music posted on the site was "stolen from the artists" and may have "damaged careers".

A man has been arrested for fraud and bailed pending further enquiries, police told the BBC.

"Soca targets organised criminal enterprises profiting from the exploitation of the UK public and legitimate businesses," the agency said in a statement.

" Members of the public can become facilitators of organised crime by obtaining property or services from its perpetrators. Much of the music offered for download by the RnBXclusive.com website was illegally obtained from artists, leading the industry to attribute losses of approximately £15m per year to the site's activity."

Soca added that the action was part of a wider operation combating illegal uploading of copyrighted material online, with several sites being targeted using "varied techniques".

Some industry observers believe the action is a fresh sign that British authorities are stepping up efforts to stamp out online piracy.

However, Loz Kaye, leader of the Pirate Party UK, said he disagreed with the nature of the closure.

"The explicit threat to visitors of the site and take down notice is alarming.

"The claim that the information gathered can be used to identify visitors and their location, followed by a statement that Soca has the capability to monitor, investigate and inform visitors internet service providers of apparent 'infringements', making visitors liable for prosecution seems extreme and unduly threatening."

RnBXclusive.com also ran Twitter and Facebook accounts which remain accessible - although links posted on both services are now inactive as a result of the main site's takedown.

'Monitor and investigate'

On Facebook, fans of the website reacted angrily to the closure.

"Screw Soca!" one user wrote. Another added: "Am I the only one scared of this 10 year jail and fine?"

Police told the BBC they would not comment on whether any of the site's users were currently being pursued.
RnBXclusive logo The site offered latest news and tracks from the UK's rhythm and blues music scene

The website, which is registered to an address in Leicester, was unreachable on Wednesday.

The Soca message, which is now displayed to all visitors of RnBXclusive, displays the user's internet protocol (IP) address, which can be used to identify people online.

The notice warns that Soca has "the capability to monitor and investigate you".

"Members of the public can become facilitators of organised crime by obtaining property or services from its perpetrators," a Soca spokesman said.

"Soca is committed to raising awareness of this threat, its potential consequences, and the steps people can take to avoid involvement."

Last month, officials shut down MegaUpload - one of the world's biggest file-sharing sites. Its owner, Kim Dotcom is being held in New Zealand having been denied bail.
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17039722

Old 02-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss51378
Re: UK Music Site Shut Down by SOCA

Well I didn't know the content was stolen

RealPlayer makes it nice and easy for me to download, convert and share....*say no more!*

The internet and modern tech makes it easy for anything to happen these days.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharon For This Useful Post:
EPIC_FAIL, slash4321
Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 PM
slash4321
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1446
Male

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon. View Post

RealPlayer makes it nice and easy for me to download, convert and share....*say no more!*

Exactly!

It's also such an insignificant site in relation to pirating music! I've never even heard of it!?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:20 AM
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:395
Male

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1836

what a fucking joke , 10 years for stealing music, your not really stealing from the artist, your stealing from the record label that owns the artist's music lol, because these guppies are so powerful and have lobbyist pushing for all these laws thats why you get totally ass backwards law enforcement punishments that DONT fit the crime and dishonour anyone who's lost a loved one to murder and wonder why the murderer only gets three/four years.

These greedy cunts are the only people who wear extra cuffs on the bottom of their pants to catch the little bit of change that might fall out of their pockets.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Parannoyed
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:239
Male ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3678

Yeah i never heard of that site before, i was a bit worried when megaupload got taken down cos i did download a few software programs from it, but meh...fuck it i dont care, if they have the cheek to do me then there is nothing i can do

Old 02-17-2012, 11:59 AM
tannersmith
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3235

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss68

http://megaupload.com

Old 02-17-2012, 02:36 PM
ices
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3655

TIN FOIL HATS LADS!

Old 02-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Xfactor
Offline:
Avoiding Limelight
Poster Rank:98
Male
Contributions: 4

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss10961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon. View Post

Does Realplayer download music ?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Mr-Tape
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1641
Male

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss201

They lost £15 mill. cause every download would have been bought if the site did not exist? If that site never existed, less than 1% of the downloads would be bought anyways, also if no other download sites exist. I have downloaded and watched a lot of movies, which I would (and could) never have paid for if I couldn't watch them for free.

Actually, Hollywood(and far most of todays tv-channels) should pay me to watch, since their main purpose obviously is to fill me with disinformation, propaganda, hate and fear while forming my opinions on stuff(eg. weed KILLS).