Male

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3577
Tourist Left Behind on the Great Barrier Reef

Sydney - Australian safety officials said on Wednesday that they were investigating a dive boat company that accidentally left a US tourist behind while he was snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef, forcing the panicked man to swim to another boat for help.

A spokesperson for the company denied Ian Cole was ever in danger. But the incident drew immediate comparisons to the infamous case of US citizens Tom and Eileen Lonergan, who died in 1998 after their tour boat left while they were scuba diving on the reef. Officials believe they drowned or were eaten by sharks.

Cole, aged 28, of Michigan, said he was snorkelling on Saturday when he lifted his head out of the water and realised his tour boat, the Passions of Paradise, was nowhere in sight.

"The adrenalin hit in and I had a moment of panic, which was the worst thing I could have done at that point," Cole told The Cairns Post. "I was able to calm myself just a little bit because there was another boat still out there and I made my way to that vessel. Lucky it was there because otherwise I may have drowned. I did not handle the situation well and I was tired."

A spokesperson for the Queensland state government work safety agency, Workplace Health and Safety Queensland, confirmed on Wednesday that the department was investigating the incident, but declined to comment further.

Passions of Paradise referred calls to Association of Marine Park Tourism Operators executive officer Col McKenzie, who did not immediately return messages from The Associated Press. But he told the Post that Cole was never in danger of drowning, since other boats were nearby.

Similar incidents

A staff member who conducted a headcount aboard the boat broke the rules by failing to get Cole's signature to confirm he was on board before it left, McKenzie said. The staffer was fired.

Safety standards for recreational dive boat operators on the reef were strengthened after the Lonergans were abandoned in 1998. Their case served as an inspiration for the 2003 movie Open Water.

Still, a handful of reef tourists have found themselves adrift since then. In 2008, a British diver and his American girlfriend became lost when they resurfaced from a dive on the reef and found themselves far away from their dive boat. They were rescued from the ocean by helicopter after spending 19 hours in the water.

i wouldnt be scared of sharks, i know they wouldnt come near me becasue of all the shit that would be in my wet suit, a fish or seal would taste much better

Old 06-29-2011, 10:14 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 20/20
Today Posts
4/11 ssss61189
Re: Tourist Left Behind on the Great Barrier Reef

Quote:
A staff member who conducted a headcount aboard the boat broke the rules by failing to get Cole's signature to confirm he was on board before it left, McKenzie said.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Black Knight
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:211
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4193

Fortunately he was rescued and they identified the person responsible. Lets hope there isn't a lawsuit coming.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:26 PM
souris
Offline:
SpanMan!
Poster Rank:105
guy

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss9507

Old 06-30-2011, 03:39 AM
docfr8
Offline:
Trauma Junkie
Poster Rank:93
Male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss11441

that would suck balls... Better know your hydronavigation

Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Poster Rank:28
Arse fucker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730

Strange it still happens because of that high profile case a while ago. They are supposed to do headcounts, and the tourists are not supposed to wander too far from the ship either. I hope the company gets taken to the cleaners over this.