Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 10866 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25780
Re: Tommy Morrison Dead at 44

Magic Johnson accepted that he was HIV positive and used every medical option available.

Tommy refused to accept he had it, which is a shame. From everything I've read on him, he could have got another decade+ out of life if he had gone the same route as Johnson.

Great boxer, as a fringe fan there aren't many guys I went out of my way to watch but he was one of them. RIP.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Illusion For This Useful Post:
downunder, icheerthebull
Old 09-02-2013, 08:49 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

He was one of the most exciting guys to watch there ever was. He has to many epic fights to count, his best in my opinion was his war against Razor Ruddock...... Ruddock had him almost out, until that big left hook changed everything.
If he was fighting today, he'd have a much much easier time..... back when he was fighting boxing was THE combat sport, guys like Lewis, Ruddock, Tyson, Foreman etc etc.... Now its soft compared to that era.

There's a really good documentary on youtube about the man, he talks a lot and you get his background. He was claiming that his HIV test was a false positive brought on by his steroid use ( something else he talks about ). If anyone here is a fan they should check it out.

It will be interesting as to what the cause of death is ruled, either he fooled the athletic commissions or he didn't. He lived hard outside the ring too, so I won't be surprised if its some kind of overdose.

RIP, thanks for the great fights!

The Following User Says Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
downunder
Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 PM
statics
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3288
i have lady parts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss66

The family would not disclose the cause of death.

He was in such severe denial it follows him even after death. He could have died from a heart-attack but because of the amount of media attention he brought on himself by refusing to accept his diagnosis, I'm convinced HIV caused his death and I'm sure everyone else is, too.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:15 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by statics View Post
The family would not disclose the cause of death.

He was in such severe denial it follows him even after death. He could have died from a heart-attack but because of the amount of media attention he brought on himself by refusing to accept his diagnosis, I'm convinced HIV caused his death and I'm sure everyone else is, too.
I would be totally convinced if he was denied clearance to fight, but Arizona approved him.
There's huge liability issues involved in that, if he infected another fighter the shitstorm that would come down would probably kill the sport entirely.
I don't know what to think

I read that his wife says he had epstien-barr syndrome? I dunno wtf that is?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Illusion
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:27
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 10866 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25780

Holy fuck that was a sad read... Very interesting story. Well written as well.

Quote:
In a house on the edge of a dead-end road, an old woman waits for her son to die. The call will come any day now, she says, and when it does, she wants her youngest boy to be buried in Sulphur Springs, Ark., with the rest of the family. She dreads and hopes for this call, if that makes any sense. Only none of it makes sense.

Diana Morrison crushes a Pall Mall, lights another and dissects her son's fate. She's matter-of-fact about it, barely emotional, perhaps because Tommy Morrison, former World Boxing Organization champion, former HIV cautionary tale, has stared at death before. But this time it's different.

She says he has full-blown AIDS. She believes he's in his final days. His skin is jaundiced; his liver is failing. "He's too far gone," she says, flashing an incredulous look when asked whether he could recover. "He's in the end stages. That's it." She says Morrison has been bedridden for a year, can't speak and is being kept alive with the help of a feeding tube and a ventilator.

"I talk to him on the phone," she says. "I tell him that the family loves him, he's always in our prayers. What can you say to him? I don't tell him to keep fighting or nothing, because I want him to go."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...test-big-fight

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Illusion For This Useful Post:
BBKF, rob666
Old 09-03-2013, 04:41 AM
downunder
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:85
Male

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
12/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss12062

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
He was one of the most exciting guys to watch there ever was. He has to many epic fights to count, his best in my opinion was his war against Razor Ruddock...... Ruddock had him almost out, until that big left hook changed everything.
If he was fighting today, he'd have a much much easier time..... back when he was fighting boxing was THE combat sport, guys like Lewis, Ruddock, Tyson, Foreman etc etc.... Now its soft compared to that era.

There's a really good documentary on youtube about the man, he talks a lot and you get his background. He was claiming that his HIV test was a false positive brought on by his steroid use ( something else he talks about ). If anyone here is a fan they should check it out.

It will be interesting as to what the cause of death is ruled, either he fooled the athletic commissions or he didn't. He lived hard outside the ring too, so I won't be surprised if its some kind of overdose.

RIP, thanks for the great fights!
He was definately a star in the heavyweight division, I remember watching the Ruddock fight live and Tommy going down on one knee early, what a comeback!

The Following User Says Thank You to downunder For This Useful Post:
rob666
Old 09-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Johnny Wadd
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:380
Male

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1903

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
I would be totally convinced if he was denied clearance to fight, but Arizona approved him.
There's huge liability issues involved in that, if he infected another fighter the shitstorm that would come down would probably kill the sport entirely.
I don't know what to think

I read that his wife says he had epstien-barr syndrome? I dunno wtf that is?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epstein%E2%80%93Barr_virus

Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
I had it wrong it was something similar sounding but it wasn't this

What a fucked up situation this is, his wife is still denying he had HIV but his Mother is saying he did..... Tommy seemed to think HIV doesn't even exist