Go Back  

Tolerance Game in Memory of Killed Goth Sophie Lancaster (8 July 2011) 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now
Old 07-08-2011, 07:19 AM
güttsfükk
Offline:
Super *********
Poster Rank:34

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22942
Tolerance Game in Memory of Killed Goth Sophie Lancaster (8 July 2011)

Name:  _53932419_53932418.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  16.2 KB
The Sophie Lancaster game aims to challenge prejudices

Name:  _53932483_53932424.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  14.6 KB
Sophie Lancaster, 20, was kicked and stamped upon by two chav cunts

Quote:
The mother of a girl who was murdered because she was a Goth is launching an educational game in London to encourage children to be more tolerant of others.

Sylvia Lancaster, whose daughter Sophie was murdered in a Bacup park in Lancashire in 2007, has been working on the idea for the past four years.

She wants schools around the country to allow their pupils to play the game.

The children are given images of people from different cultural backgrounds and have to say who would be their friends.

The game is officially launched at Kidbrooke Secondary school in Greenwich on Friday afternoon.

After Sophie's death, her mother along with family and friends set up the Sophie Lancaster Foundation charity. The charity campaigns to change attitudes in society towards people who may have a different lifestyle or appearance.

The charity says its aim is to Stamp Out Prejudice, Hatred and Intolerance, Everywhere (S.O.P.H.I.E).

"To teach young people to be tolerant of others is giving them a crucial skill that will enable them to get on in life," Sylvia Lancaster said.

"Working many years as a youth worker has taught me that one of the biggest stumbling blocks for young people with aspirations is their inability to understand or relate to people from different walks of life to them.

"Our game should show them simple techniques that help them break through this barrier."

She said the game had been tried in a couple of Lancashire schools and the response from pupils had been positive.

"There are no ultimate winners in this game, no right or wrong answers," she added.

The game is designed for year seven students, consists of 30 cards, which represent many common ethnic and religious and social groups.

Players are set a series of tasks which challenge any preconceptions and encourage development in problem solving and team working skills.

The charity hopes teachers will use it in their PSE (personal and social education) classes.

Sophie Lancaster, 20, was kicked and stamped upon by two youths in a Bacup park on 24 August 2007 for being dressed as a Goth.

Ryan Herbert and Brendan Harris, both from Bacup, were jailed for life in 2008 for Miss Lancaster's murder, and for causing grievous bodily harm to her boyfriend Robert Maltby.

Sentencing them in 2008 Judge Anthony Russell QC said: "This was a hate crime against these completely harmless people targeted because their appearance was different to yours."

Goths emerged as a youth subculture in the early 1980s.

Although initially used to describe a form of music, it has evolved to encompass literature, art and fashion, with its exponents typically dressing in dark clothing.

Source : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-14076201

Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 PM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:124

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123
Re: Tolerance Game in Memory of Killed Goth Sophie Lancaster (8 July 2011)

hope the game catches on like the parents hope....otherwise there is going to be some pretty big disappointment going around.

hell of a way to get her memory out there.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:59 PM
shinsgirl
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:708
Female

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss745

That's really sad but hopefully the game gets out there and helps some kids to understand tolerance of people different than yourself.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:20 PM
DollHead
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:613
Female

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss916

That is very sad. When I was in high school I was always mocked about being "goth" and "emo". Though I never labeled myself, I just liked what I liked with no intention of being goth or emo. Just so happens a lot of what I enjoy falls under the cliched goth category.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:41 AM
jokerlad19
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2487

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss105

COWARDS , lets hope they meet some1 there own size in jail , but i guess they will be shitting there pants the cowardly little boys , and i hope some big guy is stretching there rings !

Old 07-10-2011, 12:21 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Some people just suck!

Old 07-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Australia Mate!
Poster Rank:238
I have a map of Tasmania

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3686

poor cute goth chicky

sorry to be a bit blonde but what is a "chav"

Old 07-10-2011, 12:11 PM
icheerthebull
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:290
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2802

Quote:
Originally Posted by **BUTTERFLYLOVE** View Post
poor cute goth chicky

sorry to be a bit blonde but what is a "chav"
britney spears would be a chav if she was from england. Chav's tend to be the ones who jump people 10 on 1 outside take aways, the seem to follow a strict uniform involving tracksuits, burbury hats and huge fake guawdy chains twice the weight of the individual wearing it. They also will never fail to try and race you at the lights even if they are only driving a beat up ford. Teen pregnancy is also common.

Well thats the stereotype. Im sure the parents of this girl consider that just as bad as the 'goth' stereotype. I remember this case very well. They killed her while she lay on her unconscience boyfrend to protect him. Chavs or not the kids who did this are scum and would look good hanging from a tree. Hope this game catches on.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:29 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss61206

Quote:
A police detective tld: I am very critical of some of the parents involved. I really don't think they have taken completely seriously how repulsive this incident was."

He said that when Harris was initially interviewed about the assaults he was "laughing and joking" with his mother."

Old 07-11-2011, 12:12 PM
arcane^
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:8083
male

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

this attack makes me sick, I really hope people like the narrow minded shit heads responsible for this girls death suffer at the hands of their own stupidity and die in some painful drug related overdose.