Poster Rank:25140

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Re: Suicide Growing Amongst Baby Boomers

Lost my job when the current government fixed the economy, gave up trying to find employment due to my age. It's really something, I never really considered being too old to be hired but age is a handicap in a country where youth is worshipped. I live on my savings and whatever I can sell of what's left of my estate.

The Following User Says Thank You to ficksme For This Useful Post:
collaredgirl65
Old 02-26-2012, 08:59 PM
ices
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3655

One big reason?

Old in the western world is to be shoved aside and not to be admired. Hollywood has a huge claim to sidelining older people.

Look on every magazine on the shelf, ecspecially womens mags. Glam mags, showbiz mags and the movies. Picture perfect old people? Errrrm..nope!

You throw airbrushing into the mix and what do you have? Several generations believing in unobtainable beauty and that old is scary and a "would never happen to me!" type of mentality.

Nurses in general are a great source for learning how the elderly are treated.

Most of them wish they didnt have to even look at older people, let alone listen to them or help them. The UK is extremely poor when it comes to helping the elderly in need of care.

"Their times almost up so why waste resources?" This is the mentality of a lot of young people, in the health service as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to ices For This Useful Post:
collaredgirl65
Old 02-26-2012, 10:01 PM
collaredgirl65
Offline:
Smartest Retard
Poster Rank:127
Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficksme View Post
Lost my job when the current government fixed the economy, gave up trying to find employment due to my age. It's really something, I never really considered being too old to be hired but age is a handicap in a country where youth is worshipped. I live on my savings and whatever I can sell of what's left of my estate.
I applied for countless jobs that never came out and told me I was too old, but used the old, ' over qualified'. I may be over qualified, but I was willing to do any job just to earn a living. I got lucky that my boyfriend ran a recording studio and needed someone who knew how to run the business side of it. Otherwise, I don't know what I would be doing now.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 AM
ices
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3655

The thing is, we're making the same mistakes as this older generation made but we're not listening and there are very few reality checks in the form of these old people to get the point across.

Look @ China, the Middle East and how Islamic militancy is spreading. Earth has had these cycles since man first saw another tribe/country.

It always leads to a big fight and to say another world war couldn't happen is ignorance. There will be new problems facing us in the future regarding resources and old problems will make it worse.

I dont see how the US, America and China will like sharing a pie and they will have their own alliances set up.

EU+Uk+US etc..