Go Back  

Student Abandoned in Windowless DEA Cell For 4 Days to Get $4 Million From Feds 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 07-31-2013, 05:40 AM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss5484
Student Abandoned in Windowless DEA Cell For 4 Days to Get $4 Million From Feds

SAN DIEGO – A 25-year old college student has reached a $4.1 million settlement with the federal government after he was abandoned in a windowless Drug Enforcement Administration cell for more than four days without food or water, his attorneys said Tuesday.

Quote:

The DEA introduced national detention standards as a result of the ordeal involving Daniel Chong, including daily inspections and a requirement for cameras in cells, said Julia Yoo, one of his lawyers.

Chong said he drank his own urine to stay alive, hallucinated that agents were trying to poison him with gases through the vents, and tried to carve a farewell message to his mother in his arm.

It remained unclear how the situation occurred, and no one has been disciplined, said Eugene Iredale, another attorney for Chong. The Justice Department's inspector general is investigating.

"It sounded like it was an accident -- a really, really bad, horrible accident," Chong said.

Chong was taken into custody during a drug raid and placed in the cell in April 2012 by a San Diego police officer authorized to perform DEA work on a task force. The officer told Chong he would not be charged and said, "Hang tight, we'll come get you in a minute," Iredale said.

The door to the 5-by-10-foot cell did not reopen for 4 1/2 days.

Justice Department spokeswoman Allison Price confirmed the settlement was reached for $4.1 million but declined to answer other questions. The DEA didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Detective Gary Hassen, a San Diego police spokesman, referred questions to the DEA.

Since attorney fees are capped at 20 percent of damages and the settlement payment is tax-free, Chong will collect at least $3.2 million, Iredale said. Chong, now an economics student at the University of California, San Diego, said he planned to buy his parents a house.

Chong was a 23-year-old engineering student when he was at a friend's house where the DEA found 18,000 ecstasy pills, other drugs and weapons. Iredale acknowledged Chong was there to consume marijuana.

Chong and eight other people were taken into custody, but authorities decided against pursing charges against him after questioning.

Chong said he began to hallucinate on the third day in the cell. He urinated on a metal bench so he could have something to drink. He also stacked a blanket, his pants and shoes on a bench and tried to reach an overhead fire sprinkler, futilely swatting at it with his cuffed hands to set it off.

Chong said he accepted the possibility of death. He bit into his eyeglasses to break them and used a shard of glass to try to carve "Sorry Mom" onto his arm so he could leave something for her. He only managed to finish an "S."

Chong said he slid a shoelace under the door and screamed to get attention before five or six people found him covered in his feces in the cell at the DEA's San Diego headquarters.

"All I wanted was my sanity," Chong said. "I wasn't making any sense."

Chong was hospitalized for five days for dehydration, kidney failure, cramps and a perforated esophagus. He lost 15 pounds.

The DEA issued a rare public apology at the time.

U.S. Sen. Charles Grassley, the Judiciary Committee's ranking Republican, on Tuesday renewed his call for the DEA to explain the incident.

"How did this incident happen? Has there been any disciplinary action against the responsible employees? And has the agency taken major steps to prevent an incident like this from happening again?" he said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/30/ju...ent/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarce...f_Daniel_Chong
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/31...#ixzz2abuTf49w

FILE: May 1 ,2012: This photo shows Daniel Chong at a news conference where he discussed his detention by the DEA in San Diego.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
bdjackass318, Darkest Angel, Iliketurtles, kellyhound, Megamel29, Sharon, TwistedSisterr
Old 07-31-2013, 07:16 AM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss51364
Re: Student Abandoned in Windowless DEA Cell For 4 Days to Get $4 Million From

How awful being forgotten like that. Least he got a great payout to aid him in his recovery, has to be said!

The Following User Says Thank You to Sharon For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 07-31-2013, 08:57 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 401

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 20/20
Today Posts
9/11 ssss61137

stupid cops. of course this fuck up gets paid by the taxpayers

Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 AM
bigjoe
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1242
male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss303

It should be paid out of each departments pension fund.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigjoe For This Useful Post:
bdjackass318, gatagato, HairyGrape
Old 07-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Gaydolf Shitler
Offline:
DETECTIVE JOHN KIMBAL!
Poster Rank:143
cocksack

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss6911

Whatever, he had something to do with those drugs and now instead of getting the mandatory minimum sentence(for each pill), he's getting millions. Something wrong with this country I say

Old 07-31-2013, 04:38 PM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

Old 07-31-2013, 06:33 PM
Darkest Angel
Offline:
Born in the USA
Poster Rank:74
100% female
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12873

Man, a 4 day vacation PLUS a fat payday!

The Following User Says Thank You to Darkest Angel For This Useful Post:
bigjoe
Old 08-01-2013, 02:11 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaydolf Shitler View Post
Whatever, he had something to do with those drugs and now instead of getting the mandatory minimum sentence(for each pill), he's getting millions. Something wrong with this country I say
Maybe, maybe not. It is possible that he went there to buy pot and his dealer just happened to also sell ecstasy. There may be information in other articles that says otherwise. I'm not sure. But even if he was guilty of the ecstasy pills, prisoners are supposed to be fed daily.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
gatagato, TwistedSisterr
Old 08-01-2013, 02:54 AM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss5484

He was never charged with any crime, and there was NO reason to keep him under custody,
(he was told he could go home and one agent even offered him a ride) much less to lock him into a 5 by 10 feet with no water, no food and no windows. Without even knowing when and IF that nightmare will end. At some point he thought that he was going to die that way (which was what actually was happening, as he was eventually treated for dehydration, near-failure of his kidneys, and a perforated lung from eating broken glass in a desperate suicide attempt), three days in intensive care.
WTF, a federal law enforcement agency that arrests nine people, then sends seven of them to the jail, one at home and FORGETS about the ninth? For 4/5 days? Perhaps they should review their procedures

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, invertigo, Lana-Banana, Megamel29, rob666, TwistedSisterr
Old 08-01-2013, 06:36 AM
Iliketurtles
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:641

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss864

At first i was like..lock me up for 4 days for 4 million..until i seen that he had no food or water..fuck that