Poster Rank:1182

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss324
Stranger Rescues Baby; Family Rescues Mother; Family Shoots Abuser Dead

With her 2-year old son in the car, a mom is trying to escape a violent abusive man who was violating a protective order. In the midst of being chased, battered and kidnapped by her domestic abuser and father of the child, this mindful, protective mom continued trying to find safe haven for her child. That's when a stranger stepped in to help.

http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/...11/10/3490973/

_______

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article...WS01/311080025

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article...napper-s-death

Family-rescues-kidnapped-Duson-woman-kills-captor

The family of a Duson woman kidnapped earlier in the week tracked down and killed her alleged abductor Friday, authorities said.

Police said Bethany Arceneaux, 29, was kidnapped Wednesday by Scott Thomas, the father of her son. But it was family members who were tipped to an abandoned house near Anderson and Fieldspan roads.

Bethany Arceneaux was allegedly kidnapped by Scott Thomas Wednesday evening in Lafayette, La.
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...#ixzz2kJTTwhS1

Family said they didn’t know what to expect when they showed up to the home early Friday. A half dozen of them converged on the house, kicked down the door and found her inside, bloodied and repeatedly stabbed.

They also found Thomas, 29, of Leonville.

LAFAYETTE POLICE DEPARTMENT

Scott Thomas, 29, of Leonville, Louisiana, is accused of kidnapping Bethany Arceneaux, 29. Bethany’s family members are claiming that they shot and killed him.
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...#ixzz2kJSMsUH9

A confrontation ensued between Thomas and Arceneaux’s family. She was injured, and gunfire erupted, Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Capt. Kip Judice said. Thomas died from injuries he sustained during the confrontation, Judice said.

Arceneaux was driven by family members to Lafayette General Medical Center, where was listed in stable condition.

Marcus Arceneaux puts his niece Bethany Arceneaux in a car to transport to a hospital after search volunteers discovered Bethany and her alleged captor hiding in the house. / Leslie Westbrook, The Advertiser

“She’s shook up, she’s sliced up, but she’s alright,” said Ryan Arceneaux, the woman’s brother. He and another brother, Kaylyn Alfred, were among the family members who entered the house. “We found her. We went and got her in that house. We kicked doors down. It was like a movie unfolding.”

Ryan Arceneaux said he is just grateful that his sister is alive and proud of his family’s actions.

“If we would have waited, she would have been dead.”

Alfred said when the family entered the house, they heard cries for help.

Just screaming … ‘help, help,’” he said. “That’s about it.”

Judice said family members were acting in defense of Arceneaux.

“The man began harming her. He (Arceneaux’s family member) did what he needed to do to stop that aggressive behavior from Mr. Thomas,” Judice said. “We have to put all the information together before we can comment further on the extent of that confrontation.”

Police say Thomas showed up to a day care center on the 500 block of Madeline Avenue around 5:20 p.m. Wednesday and encountered Arceneaux. He allegedly forced her into his car, a white older model Buick LeSabre, and drove off with her.

Arceneaux’s 2-year-old child was left inside of her vehicle at the day care and was not harmed, police said.

Police, investigators and members of the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office Special Reaction Team surrounded the vacant house. With its low-slung roof, the house is barely visible from the road and is hidden by a large oak tree.

Arceneaux’s family expressed relief she survived the ordeal and is able to tell investigators what happened.

“I’m so happy. God is good,” said Monica Arceneaux-Henry, Arceneaux’s aunt.

“We followed our faith and believed she was alive. God answers prayers.”

Arceneaux’s cousin Dawnetta Roy said it was “upsetting” it took family to find Arceneaux and not law enforcement.

Cpl. Paul Mouton, a spokesman for the Lafayette Police Department, said law enforcement was looking for Arceneaux as well.

“While we were looking on one side, they were looking in another and they came upon her. It just so happens where they were looking was where she was found,” Mouton said.

“If we weren’t looking at all and they were searching, that would be different,” he added.

Harold Carter sat quietly in the hospital waiting anxiously for updates on his younger sister. Carter said he felt “relieved, good, (and) happy that … people came out and helped us.

“If it wasn’t for them and positive thinking, it could’ve turned out different.”

“We didn’t wait. We got up this morning, and we went and did what we had to do,” Carter said. “We did not wait on the authorities. We did it our own selves.”

“We were all going to go to Leonville and search over there since we hadn’t found her. We went to Leonville, and were getting our stuff together and were about to start the search,” he said.

“There were some guys who stayed back, which was good. They stayed back and kept searching. We were putting flyers out and we were on top of the game. And we got a call saying that they found her,” Carter added.

Coroner’s Office investigators on Friday could be seen at the house collecting evidence. Judice said family members were interviewed at the sheriff’s office as investigators tried to piece together what happened.

It was not immediately clear whether any of Arceneaux’s family members would face charges. Judice said an initial investigation indicated they had acted to protect Arceneaux.

Kidnap victim home from hospital; shooter not charged in kidnapper's death
Nov. 10, 2013

Today will be a much better day for the Arceneaux family than they had reason to believe it would be on Wednesday.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article...hany-Arceneaux

Bethany Arceneaux, 29, is home from the hospital. She is reunited with her 2-year-old son after being rescued following her kidnapping on Wednesday.

When the family gathers for Sunday dinner, they’ll say a prayer of thanks, but they’ll also know that the ordeal may not be completely over.

The father of Arceneaux’s child, Scott Thomas, is dead. He was killed when family members stormed a vacant house to rescue Arceneaux, whom they said they feared was in mortal danger.

No family members have been charged in the fatal shooting but a report on the case has been sent to the district attorney.

Even with the unresolved issues, the large family of sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles and cousins are celebrating their determination to find Arceneaux that culminated with having her home safely.

Leslie Westbrook, The Advertiser
Family and friends of Bethany Arceneaux talk to media Friday during their search for Arceneaux after she was allegedly kidnapped by Scott Thomas Wednesday evening in Lafayette. By Leslie Westbrook November 8, 2013

They’re applauding Arceneaux’s survivor spirit.

They also have a stranger to thank for stepping up to help keep Arceneaux’s son safe during the violent confrontation.

A pattern of violence
The most recent incident played out on Wednesday evening, but based on police documents and family members, it was one in a string of incidences of domestic violence by Thomas against Arceneaux.

Arceneaux filed a complaint with police on June 15, saying Thomas locked her in a house and threatened to kill both her and her son.

“He grabbed our son from me and shoved him into the car,” Arceneaux wrote in the report. “Since then, Scott has been riding around my mom’s house and my work looking for me. I am afraid for me and my son’s life.”

Arceneaux also said in the report Thomas had in the past choked her, dragged her by her hair and held her and her son hostage. “He keeps threatening to kill us. He put a knife to my neck countless times,” she said in the report.

A protective order against Thomas was issued June 17, court records show. Thomas was arrested Aug. 8 for violating the order. He also was charged with aggravated assault and aggravated flight from an officer.

Dawnetta Roy, Arceneaux’s cousin, said Arceneaux didn’t feel safe around Thomas.

“She was very afraid of him,” Roy said.

That fear led to a car chase Wednesday evening that could have ended much worse except for one Madeline Avenue woman.

Kindness of a stranger
Derrimetria Robinson said she was at her front door around 5:20 p.m. on Wednesday when she heard a car driving by her Madeline Avenue home.

The driver of a blue car was blowing her horn as she drove by. Robinson said she came out of the house to see what was going on.

She saw the driver, Bethany Arceneaux, pull into the parking lot between a daycare center and beauty salon across the street from Robinson’s house, get out of car and go to the back passenger door of the car.

That’s when Robinson noticed there was a baby in the back of the car.

“She (Arceneaux) went to the passenger side to get her baby out and when she was doing that a white Buick pulled up behind her. She started running and he (the driver of the car) ran behind her and he attacked her, you know, while she was holding her baby,” Robinson said.

By that time, Robinson, who was wearing her house slippers, had gone to the parking lot.

Robinson said the attacker, who was later identified as Scott Thomas, continued to pursue Arceneaux and put her into his car.

Robinson, who has no children of her own, said she was worried about the baby and stepped in to help.

“She (Arceneaux) was hollering and screaming for help,” Robinson said. “When I seen she had a baby and I knew they were in trouble, it was like I knew I had to save that little baby.”

Robinson said she somehow managed to get the baby as the two continued to struggle. Then, Robinson said, Thomas pulled away with Arceneaux in his car.

Robinson took the 2-year-old child who had been left behind and cared for him until family members came later that evening.

As Robinson shared her story Saturday afternoon, she said she was happy to hear that Arceneaux was recovering after being rescued from a vacant house by family members.

She said she hopes to meet Arceneaux after she gets out of the hospital.

She added that if something like what happened Wednesday ever happens again, her response would be the same.

“I’m just glad I was able to help and that God chose me to do such a wonderful mission ... if I had to do it again, I would do it again.”

The child was safe with Robinson, but no one knew where Thomas had taken Arceneaux.

Lafayette police later issued an arrest warrant for Thomas, 29, charging him with kidnapping.

Then around 7:30 p.m., Thomas’ white Buick was found near a field at South Fieldspan and Anderson roads.

Searching with hope
By Thursday morning, the Lafayette Police Department had little new information about the kidnapping.

“Based off the information officers received at the day care about the way the victim was confronted by Thomas, we believe she may be in a situation where she could be harmed,” spokesman Cpl. Paul Mouton said at that time.

Lafayette police deployed bloodhounds from Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola. Dozens of family members and friends began the search for Arceneaux. They were determined to find the young mother.

Family members, some clutching cellphones, huddled close to one another as they searched a field at South Fieldspan and Anderson roads, where the abandoned car had been found.

Arceneaux’s aunt, Monica Arceneaux-Henry, was among those who held out hope Thursday that she’d be returned safely.

Arceneaux-Henry pleaded with Thomas not to harm Arceneaux.

“Bring her home safe, so she can be with her baby, please, Scott,” she said.

Arceneaux was not found by the end of a long day Thursday. The search was called off at dark.

A vacant house, gunshots, the rescue
On Friday, the search for Arceneaux started again.

Some resumed the search near Anderson Road where Thomas’ car had been found.

Others headed to Leonville, Thomas’ hometown. Police and residents helped with the search.

The break came when the family got a tip about a vacant house in a nearby field, according to Daily Advertiser photographer Leslie Westbrook, who spent much of the day with the family as they searched.

Westbrook said a neighborhood resident and another man said they were going to search the home and asked Arceneaux’s family members if they'd like to come along. He said everyone took off on four-wheelers toward the house.

Westbrook said he walked up to the house and heard someone shouting, “They’re in there!”

A half dozen people converged on the house, kicked down the door and found Arceneaux inside. She was bloody and had been stabbed repeatedly.

They also found Thomas in the abandoned house.

A confrontation ensued between Thomas and Arceneaux’s family. Gunfire erupted, Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Capt. Kip Judice said. Thomas died from injuries he sustained during the confrontation, Judice said.

One uncle scooped up Arceneaux and carried her to safety. She was taken to Lafayette General Medical Center.

“She’s shook up, she’s sliced up, but she’s all right,” said Ryan Arceneaux, her brother. He and another brother, Kaylyn Alfred, were among the family members who entered the house. “We found her. We went and got her in that house. We kicked doors down. “

Ryan Arceneaux said he is just grateful that his sister is alive and he is proud of his family’s actions.

“If we would have waited, she would have been dead.”

Alfred said when the family entered the house, they heard cries for help.

“Just screaming … ‘help, help,’ ” he said.

Help had arrived.

Spirit of survival
Arceneaux told investigators the abandoned house was the only place Thomas took her, according to Judice. She said she hadn’t had anything to eat or drink since Wednesday.

When Thomas heard family members enter the house, she said, he began stabbing her.

That information will be key, Judice said, when prosecutors consider whether the family member was justified in shooting Thomas.

Judice said only one person fired a weapon inside the house, and Thomas had at least three gunshot wounds.

“The man began harming her. He (Arceneaux’s family member) did what he needed to do to stop that aggressive behavior from Mr. Thomas,” Judice said. “We have to put all the information together before we can comment further on the extent of that confrontation.”

Law enforcement officials have questioned the family members who stormed the house. However, legal experts said the “defense of others” law could apply in this case.

“Private individuals as well as law enforcement officers can rely on the concept of ‘defense of others’ when the other is facing a threat of death or great bodily harm,” Cheney Joseph Jr., law professor and vice chancellor for Academic Affairs at LSU Law Center, wrote Friday in an email response to The Daily Advertiser’s questions.

Joseph referred to two state statutes, La. R.S. 14:20 and 22.

La. R.S. 14:22, the defense of others, states, “It is justifiable to use force or violence or to kill in the defense of another person when it is reasonably apparent that the person attacked could have justifiably used such means himself, and when it is reasonably believed that such intervention is necessary to protect the other person.”

The district attorney will review the case.

While Arcenaeux recovers, the family must deal with what comes next regarding the fatal shooting of Thomas.

Arceneaux’s brother Harold Carter said she was up Saturday “talking, laughing and joking” when he visited her in the hospital.

“My girl should be getting discharged today. She’s going home. It’s amazing,” he told The Daily Advertiser.

Carter also talked of his sister’s spirit of survival. He said it could be an inspiration to other women in similar abusive situations.

He said that women, especially younger women, need to know that “getting back together” with abusive men will lead to serious detriment.

Over the next few months, both families will deal with the the fallout from domestic violence and the death of a family member.

Right now, Arceneaux’s family seems content to focus on the positive elements of the situation.

Carter said he felt “relieved, good, (and) happy that people came out and helped us.

“If it wasn’t for them and positive thinking, it could’ve turned out different.”

Daily Advertiser reporters Amanda McElfresh, Jessica Goff and Claire Taylor contributed to this report.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IC10021 For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight, diamondsmiles, kellyhound, Megamel29, Pyramid_Head, Raevynn
Old 11-11-2013, 06:02 AM
nat906
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:883
male

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 16/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss524
Re: Stranger Rescues Baby; Family Rescues Mother; Family Shoots Abuser Dead

Old 11-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

You beat me to it. I didn't see this when I posted my thread.

I'm glad her family found her but I'm surprised the police didn't check the house. They were so close. At least the woman is ok.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight, diamondsmiles
Old 11-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Raevynn
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2477
Female

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss106

I like this story.

This is one of those warm fuzzy moments with a happy ending, even if someone died!

The Following User Says Thank You to Raevynn For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 11-11-2013, 04:22 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
7/11 ssss61186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamel29 View Post
You beat me to it. I didn't see this when I posted my thread.
i moved it here as it was posted in death vids forum.

The bastard is dead so good riddance

Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Shakey
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:18
MAN

Mentioned: 448 Post(s)
Quoted: 21495 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 14/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss37795

They didn't take him to court.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Flaka
Offline:
Tuya
Poster Rank:19

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss37570

Now that's what i call real justice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flaka For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12566

That's a strong family, good for them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 01:28 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss21528

Good for her!

This is what a mother does for her children

Old 11-16-2013, 01:30 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raevynn View Post
I like this story.

This is one of those warm fuzzy moments with a happy ending, even if someone died!

Just a piece of shit! No great loss

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight
The Following Users Disliked This Post By diamondsmiles:
subhuman