Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25942
"This Space is Not for White People"

OLYMPIA, Wash. -- An attempt to fight racism at a community college may have backfired.

A group of employees at South Puget Sound Community College sent out an invitation to all 300 staffers.

The "Staff, Faculty and Administrators of Color" encouraged employees to reply to the invitation to find out the confidential date and time of what was being called a "happy hour" to "build support and community" for people of color.

The invite made it clear white people were not invited.

The email read: "If you want to create space for white folks to meet and work on racism, white supremacy, and white privilege to better our campus community and yourselves, please feel free to do just that."

"It was obviously a mistake," said SPSCC's Dean of College Relations, Kellie Purce Braseth.
Braseth said the group that put out the email last week apologized the next day and canceled the event.

She said the college believes the best way to celebrate and discuss diversity is to include everyone.

"If you want to come you should be able to come, that just makes a richer conversation," said Braseth.

Karama Blackhorn, program coordinator for the school's Diversity and Equity Center, helped write the invitation.

She said it could have been worded differently, but she maintains the staff members of color would have a more honest discussion about race without white employees.

"When trying to explicitly talk about race it can be a really difficult conversation for a lot of people," said Blackhorn.

http://www.king5.com/news/cities/oly...249652471.html

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Illusion For This Useful Post:
BBKF, Clubhouse, gatagato, Megamel29, Ntwadumela, Oswald2001, Pyramid_Head, TwistedSisterr
Old 03-13-2014, 09:13 PM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913
Re: "This Space is Not for White People"

How do you improve relations between races without more than one race involved? Also, I would say there is a huge connotative difference between the terms "black pride" and "white supremacy". Why did they include white supremacy on the email? It sounds more like they are implying that if white people want to form a group for white people to protest the meetings for only 'people of color', then the white people would be prejudiced for doing so.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
BBKF, Clubhouse, Illusion, Ntwadumela, Paupercool1, Pyramid_Head, sideshowfreak
The Following Users Disliked This Post By Megamel29:
Wage
Old 03-13-2014, 09:37 PM
Ntwadumela
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT MAJOR
Poster Rank:206
Male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamel29 View Post
How do you improve relations between races without more than one race involved? Also, I would say there is a huge connotative difference between the terms "black pride" and "white supremacy". Why did they include white supremacy on the email? It sounds more like they are implying that if white people want to form a group for white people to protest the meetings for only 'people of color', then the white people would be prejudiced for doing so.
What goes around comes around...

Old 03-13-2014, 09:38 PM
azdesertsnake01
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:640
Male

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss871

For many years there has been a need for more light to be put on racism from so-called minorities. I am from the south. Most people think white southerners are racist and are the problem.

However anyone that lives there could tell you there is far more racism from blacks toward whites than the other way around.

If you are white you don't go into the black neighborhoods there especially at night. However there are no cases where blacks should stay out of white neighborhoods out of fear for their lives. So who are the racists?

One thing I also always noticed is that black comedians can say anything about whites and even the whites themselves will sit there and laugh like jackasses. But if A white comedian such as Michael Richards makes one racist remark toward hecklers, it's an international new story.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to azdesertsnake01 For This Useful Post:
Arkoquisa, BigFoot, Blewvane, Darkest Angel, dcaccount22, KellBell0793, Ntwadumela, Paupercool1, PTSD Is My Life, Pyramid_Head, rapeWhistle, TwistedSisterr
The Following Users Disliked This Post By azdesertsnake01:
Wage
Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Ntwadumela
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT MAJOR
Poster Rank:206
Male

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4233

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdesertsnake01 View Post
For many years there has been a need for more light to be put on racism from so-called minorities. I am from the south. Most people think white southerners are racist and are the problem.

However anyone that lives there could tell you there is far more racism from blacks toward whites than the other way around.

If you are white you don't go into the black neighborhoods there especially at night. However there are no cases where blacks should stay out of white neighborhoods out of fear for their lives. So who are the racists?

One thing I also always noticed is that black comedians can say anything about whites and even the whites themselves will sit there and laugh like jackasses. But if A white comedian such as Michael Richards makes one racist remark toward hecklers, it's an international new story.
Hopefully white people wake up someday and say enough is enough. White kids are being brainwashed to hate their own kind so don't hold your breath. They are being told to love the black race more than their own (Rather than being taught true equality) because black people were slaves when none of us existed. Sad but true.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ntwadumela For This Useful Post:
azdesertsnake01, BLT, commondenom, PlinyTheYounger, Pyramid_Head, sideshowfreak, TwistedSisterr, winvens
The Following Users Disliked This Post By Ntwadumela:
Wage
Old 03-13-2014, 10:12 PM
TwistedSisterr
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:427
Tenacious Bigmouth
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1601

wtf is everyones problem?? ITS SKIN, we ALL have it. who fucking cares what color it is, jesus christ almighty

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TwistedSisterr For This Useful Post:
Megamel29, Pyramid_Head, tbone79, winvens
Old 03-13-2014, 10:54 PM
CrunchyCripple
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:364
Female

Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedSisterr View Post
ITS SKIN, we ALL have it. who fucking cares what color it is, jesus christ almighty
Apparently quite a few people. . . .

The Following User Says Thank You to CrunchyCripple For This Useful Post:
Wage
Old 03-13-2014, 11:01 PM
azdesertsnake01
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:640
Male

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss871

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntwadumela View Post
Hopefully white people wake up someday and say enough is enough. White kids are being brainwashed to hate their own kind so don't hold your breath. They are being told to love the black race more than their own (Rather than being taught true equality) because black people were slaves when none of us existed. Sad but true.
Yeah. You have to love how younger white people (and Hispanics too, such as the 4 teenage Mexicans that live close to me) emulate the worst traits of SOME black people. Such as the pants down around their asses, attitude, and ebonics.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to azdesertsnake01 For This Useful Post:
Ntwadumela, Paupercool1, Pyramid_Head, TwistedSisterr, winvens
The Following Users Disliked This Post By azdesertsnake01:
Wage
Old 03-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdesertsnake01 View Post
Yeah. You have to love how younger white people (and Hispanics too, such as the 4 teenage Mexicans that live close to me) emulate the worst traits of SOME black people. Such as the pants down around their asses, attitude, and ebonics.
I'd rather hear ebonics than someone say "I seen". Makes me want to punch something.

But yeah, there are shmucks in every group.

The Following User Says Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
winvens
Old 03-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Darkest Angel
Offline:
Born in the USA
Poster Rank:74
100% female

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12899

So much hatred. Some people want it to live on. So counter-productive. Hopefully if we do enter WWIII we will all band together as a country instead of tearing each other down.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Darkest Angel For This Useful Post:
BoBar, fenek, Megamel29, Pyramid_Head