Go Back  

Soviet Doomsday Machine is Still Active. 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 12-01-2012, 10:09 PM
FakeDad
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:6492

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20
Re: Soviet Doomsday Machine is Still Active.

Don't let him take pictures of the big board!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:42 AM
johnleeknoefler
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:229
Male
Contributions: 26

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3866

I'm beginning to wonder if the Russians aren't a better people than Americans. When I visited Russia I was treated decently and respectfully by almost all people. Only one fat lady pushed me while I was on a public bus. When I boarded a Russian plane the security was thoughtful and nonintrusive. No one searched my bags or asked me silly questions or harrassed me. I was able to enter Russia with a huge bag of canned delicacies for my friends. No one even looked to see what I was bringing in.
When I returned to USA I was questioned for an hour and they inspected every single item in my luggage. They finally singled out a half pound package of cheese to scold me about. I had not seen the section in the questionare about cheese. So I did not check it. They finally let me keep the cheese when I got angry and asked them since when did cheese become a national security issue. Then they had another whispered consultation about a jar of honey I brought with me and finally decided to let it go since there was not a place on the questionaire about honey so I wasn't in trouble for not checking that space.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnleeknoefler For This Useful Post:
fenek
Old 01-23-2013, 02:44 AM
mengala
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:382

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleeknoefler View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if the Russians aren't a better people than Americans. When I visited Russia I was treated decently and respectfully by almost all people. Only one fat lady pushed me while I was on a public bus. When I boarded a Russian plane the security was thoughtful and nonintrusive. No one searched my bags or asked me silly questions or harrassed me. I was able to enter Russia with a huge bag of canned delicacies for my friends. No one even looked to see what I was bringing in.
When I returned to USA I was questioned for an hour and they inspected every single item in my luggage. They finally singled out a half pound package of cheese to scold me about. I had not seen the section in the questionare about cheese. So I did not check it. They finally let me keep the cheese when I got angry and asked them since when did cheese become a national security issue. Then they had another whispered consultation about a jar of honey I brought with me and finally decided to let it go since there was not a place on the questionaire about honey so I wasn't in trouble for not checking that space.
do you have family in russia?

Old 01-23-2013, 04:37 AM
johnleeknoefler
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:229
Male
Contributions: 26

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3866

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengala View Post
do you have family in russia?
No. I went there at the suggestion of a Russian friend. Met some nice people and was invited to several homes to enjoy Russian meals and drink. It was awesome. The food was really wonderful. Russian potatoes served in a cream sauce in special silver dishes with hinged lids. Preserved whole green walnuts in syrup. Excellent beet soup. Borsht I think? Great smoked salmon. Kvas which tastes a bit like root beer but is home made. Some sort of sea food in sweet cream sauce. One lady served three different types of potatoe salad with one being American style with a little American flag. Of course no meal is complete without fish eggs on crackers. The highlight of one meal was a potatoe soup. I should of known I was being pranked when the room went silent as I took my first spoonful. It was cold as ice and smelled a bit sour. Turns out they serve this stuff usually in middle of hot summer but it was March when I was there. I protested "Eta holedna!" and everyone busted up laughing. Seems they understand perfectly well that Americans only eat hot potatoe soup and they couldn't resist playing a little joke on me.
The worst thing I ever ate was some huge rat. And this was also kept secret from me for over a year and a half. They covered by saying it was rabbit. It tasted just like very old stale chicken which I thought it was. When I was asked if I was okay (I must of made a face of disgust when I tasted it) I quickly said it was good chicken. To which the response was that it was rabbit. It was much later that it was admitted to have been rat.
The highlight of my visit was going to Theatre. The play was put on especially for me I found out. I was puzzled when it made a good deal of fun of American fascination with the almighty dollar and had a section with people praying to a huge dollar bill. That was how the play ended and it was only then that I realized that the director was having me on with a prank of his own. That explained why he insisted I call ahead if I planned to come to a show. Of course I gave the lead actor a rose at the conclusion.
I would suggest if going to Russia go to Russian travel agency in Sacramento. You will get the lowest price tickets and visa. They will advise you on how to conduct yourself so as to not get in problems with locals. I got my ticket round trip for $667.00. I paid a dollar extra just to be safe.
Aeroflot is a good service but don't expect everything to be just right. It's a 24 hour trip so bring some books and music. Buy a translator machine and learn some Russian before leaving. Basic Russian phrases are fairly easy to learn and speak. Don't trust anyone you meet by chance in Moscow. Most especially around the airport, trains and subway. Even the help at Mcdonalds near Red Square tried to scam me for a few dollars. And they charge higher price for tourists at the Cathedral in Red Square.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnleeknoefler For This Useful Post:
mengala, pbaj12