Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4233
Soulumination: Non-profit Photographs Terminally Ill Children For Families

Quote:
In 1996, Lynette Johnson, a professional photographer, was approached by her sister-in-law Sally Elliot with a difficult request. Elliot’s daughter and Johnson’s niece, Lanie, had been stillborn and Elliot wanted Johnson to take a picture of her before her funeral. “It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life,” Johnson, 59, based out of Seattle, Wash., told FoxNews.com. “But I’m so glad I did it.”

The memory of the experience stuck with Johnson, and a few years later, while shooting pictures for a wedding, the bride mentioned to Johnson that she worked for the palliative care unit at Seattle Children’s Hospital. Johnson immediately thought back to her niece and offered to come by the hospital to take pictures for the patients’ families.
“I just blurted out I would do this free of charge,” Johnson said. “It seemed like the least I could do to give back to the community.”

What started as a small favor quickly blossomed into a thriving non-profit photography initiative called Soulumination. Through the enterprise, Johnson and other volunteer photographers take professional photographs of children under the age of 18 who are facing life-threatening conditions, providing families with lasting keepsakes and “an enduring, positive record of the child’s life.”

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/0...ntcmp=features

This is the type of story that brings me a sense of assurance that Humanity is on the track towards universal decency, we are just moving at an incredibly slow pace.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ntwadumela For This Useful Post:
Kanda444, Paupercool1
Old 05-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Angelahh
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:84
meow
Contributions: 41

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12278
Re: Soulumination: Non-profit Photographs Terminally Ill Children For Families

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntwadumela View Post
This is the type of story that brings me a sense of assurance that Humanity is on the track towards universal decency, we are just moving at an incredibly slow pace.
Not to be a Debbie-downer but I am often leary of non-profits in general. All non-profits get paid - except the board of directors. All their expenses and equipment are paid.

People who truly volunteer their time with nothing in return are the ones that should be commended.

This to me seems like their own plug for their "thriving" non-profit that "through the enterprise" they volunteer.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Ntwadumela
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT MAJOR
Poster Rank:206
Male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4233
Re: Soulumination: Non-profit Photographs Terminally Ill Children For Families

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelahh View Post
Not to be a Debbie-downer but I am often leary of non-profits in general. All non-profits get paid - except the board of directors. All their expenses and equipment are paid.

People who truly volunteer their time with nothing in return are the ones that should be commended.

This to me seems like their own plug for their "thriving" non-profit that "through the enterprise" they volunteer.
I'll like to donate you some pretty decent pecker, and I'll want nothing in return, especially not a phone call or any mentions of any future encounters.