female

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 11/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss284
Slavery in London, UK!!

Three women aged between 30 and 69 are rescued from a house in Lambeth, south London.

Two people have been released on bail as part of an investigation into slavery and domestic servitude at a house in London sparked by a report on Sky News.
The inquiry was launched after one of three alleged victims told a charity she had been held against her will for more than 30 years in a house in Lambeth, south London.
She contacted the Freedom Charity after seeing its founder Aneeta Prem in a report last summer about forced marriages.
Scotland Yard said the charity, which advises and supports victims of forced marriages or honour-based violence, got in touch and helped with sensitive negotiations, which revealed the location of the house and led to the rescue of the three women.
Police said two people detained in connection with the investigation - a 67-year-old man and a 67-year-old woman - have been bailed until a date in January, pending further inquiries.
Police believe the youngest of the alleged victims may have spent her entire life as a domestic slave.
Detective Inspector Kevin Hyland from the Metropolitan Police's human trafficking unit told a news conference at Scotland Yard that the force had "never seen anything of this magnitude".
Home Secretary Theresa May is "shocked by this appalling case," her department said in a statement.
Officers said the two suspects, who are not British, were arrested at 7.30am on Thursday and taken to a south London police station for questioning.

One of the three alleged victims is a 69-year-old Malaysian woman, the other a 57-year-old Irish woman and the third a 30-year-old Briton.
All three, described by police as "highly traumatised", were taken to a place of safety where they remain.
Sky's Crime Correspondent Martin Brunt said police do not believe the women were sexually assaulted, but they may have been physically and mentally abused.
Ms Prem told Sky News it was the Irish woman who phoned the Freedom Charity after watching her on television.
"I think all of them saw me on the news and made a decision because of the name of the charity and because they had seen me on TV - that gave them the courage to make that phone call," she said.
"I can't go in to too many details but they managed to get to a phone and make a call to us.
"We started to talk to them in depth when we could. It had to be pre-arranged when they were able to make calls to us and it had to be done very secretly because they felt they were in massive danger.
"It was planned that they would be able to walk out of the property. The police were on standby."

Police said the British and Irish women left the house and met police at an agreed location on October 25. They helped police find the address, where the third woman was rescued on the same day.
DI Hyland said the suspects were not immediately arrested as officers had to "establish the facts" from "extremely traumatised" victims.
He said it appeared the three alleged victims had been given "limited freedom" during the three decades they claim to have been held as slaves.
He said he was unable to confirm any relationship between the suspects and the three women who were freed.
"I don't know any relationships between the women in respect of the suspects," he said.
"Clearly, because of the nationalities of the women that have been held victims, it's very unlikely they are related in any way."
He added: "We applaud the actions of Freedom Charity and are working in partnership to support these victims who appear to have been held for over 30 years."
A neighbour said the arrested couple were "very nice".
The neighbour added: "They just kept themselves to themselves and I keep myself to myself. So it was just a case of we'd pass and say hello to each other.
"They just seemed a very normal couple. I just know it's very unfortunate."
A Home Office spokesman said: "The Home Secretary is shocked by this appalling case and while the police need to get to the bottom of exactly what happened here, she's made clear her determination to tackle the scourge of modern slavery."

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to caroliner For This Useful Post:
BBKF, gatagato, icheerthebull, kellyhound, luciddrmr, Megamel29, Pyramid_Head
Old 11-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Shakey
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:18
MAN

Mentioned: 449 Post(s)
Quoted: 21526 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss37839
Re: Slavery in London, UK!!

Were they locked in or could they walk away

Old 11-22-2013, 09:17 AM
caroliner
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1289
female

Activity Longevity
3/20 11/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss284

Met Police say they are trying to understand the "invisible handcuffs" which kept the women in the house.

A 69-year-old Malaysian woman, 57-year-old Irish woman and 30-year-old British woman rescued by Met Police after being held captive for 30 years

Old 11-22-2013, 09:19 AM
caroliner
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1289
female

Activity Longevity
3/20 11/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss284

The three ‘slaves’ kept captive in a London house were denied medical treatment, despite one telling her alleged captors she had had a stroke, it is believed. One of the women is a 30-year-old who was born into captivity and allowed no contact with the outside world, it is alleged.
The woman, who police said had no normal contact with the outside world, was rescued alongside a 57-year-old Irish woman and a 69-year-old from Malaysia.
Their alleged captors are not British, the police confirmed, but provided no further details about their nationality.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Pigeon
Offline:
I POOP ON U
Poster Rank:77
Female
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12675

WTF! That's so awful. Reminds me of Josef Fritzl.
Quote:
One of the women is a 30-year-old who was born into captivity and allowed no contact with the outside world, it is alleged.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigeon For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 11-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Hobbslefthand
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:617
Malevolent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss914

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroliner View Post
Their alleged captors are not British, the police confirmed, but provided no further details about their nationality.
Not altogether a completely shocking revelation here.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12567

That's insane how long they were able to keep them.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:47 PM
icheerthebull
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:290
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbslefthand View Post
Not altogether a completely shocking revelation here.
yes it is if it goes back 30 years. This case has no relevance to any modern day debates about immigration or clashed clultures. This was a time when my hard working parents (who were white) experienced racism in london. The notion that some foreigners could somehow create a culture where this is acceptable is laughable. 30 fucking years ago!!!

I live in london and people really keep to themselves. do you not think the stagnation of society may be a issue? people dont even know the names of people that sleep a few hundred feet away from them day in day out for years. maybe thats how it was missed? because how this was missed and happened are the only things up for debate now not the role of immigration or nationality

America is just the country that shows how all the written guarantees in the world for freedom are no protection against tyranny and oppression of the worst kind. There the politician has come to be looked upon as the very scum of society - Peter Kropotkin
The Following User Says Thank You to icheerthebull For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity