Contributions: 2

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8385
Re: Shooting at Portland Mall

In order to get a firearm license here you have to take a safety course, and that's just for a .22 rifle.

If you want to get a handgun you have to get a background check, do a safety course, and register the gun with the police, as well as keep it locked in a safe with a trigger lock at all times except for use at the firing range.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:46 PM
pbaj12
Offline:
Captain of a Sinking Ship
Poster Rank:887
Contributions: 14

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvergelmir View Post
There is more gun violence per capita in the states than there is in Canada.

We have more guns per person than you guys do.

I guess the difference is, we don't run around with assault rifles and handguns.

It's really hard to get a handgun permit here, and you can't get anything that's fully automatic, as well as clips being limited to 10 shots or something.

One of my friends has a semi-auto AK, with a 10 shot clip.
He said you can remove a part of the clip to make it a full 30 rounds.
The problem isn't the guns, it's the people.
It's pretty much impossible for your average person to legally get fully automatic here; however, it's pretty easy to make some rifles full auto inexpensively.

Magazines that are limited usually have a roll pin in the bottom holding a limiter in place that prevents the follower from going down passed a certain distance. At least the magazines I've modified I've done that way. Some people glue them but it seems like more work to me with more chances to mess things up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pbaj12 For This Useful Post:
CuriousOne, Kanda444
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss49337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvergelmir View Post
In order to get a firearm license here you have to take a safety course, and that's just for a .22 rifle.

If you want to get a handgun you have to get a background check, do a safety course, and register the gun with the police, as well as keep it locked in a safe with a trigger lock at all times except for use at the firing range.
you have to get a background check here for any gun purchase from a retail store....obviously, you dont if you buy from a private party. there is no course requirements in my state for any of the gun permits though.

here are my states laws (if you're interested... not very interesting really unless you live here, i suppose)

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/firchart.html

and, to be fair, most semi-auto rifles can be made to fire in a way similar to a full auto if you bump fire it... you can legally buy gun stocks that allow you to bump fire an AR just by pulling the trigger. i've only seen that done in vids though...

Old 12-14-2012, 05:12 AM
CuriousOne
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:1033
Female
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss402

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaj12 View Post
I wasn't there so I don't know exactly how it went down but..
why didn't anyone try to stop him? He would be very vulnerable from behind, I can't imagine every single person was more than 15ft away and in front of him.

He must have been too nervous or a horrible shot. Thousands of targets, in large groups in confined spaces and 3 were hit out of up to 10,000 with "as many as 60 shots".
Most people duck, hide or run when they hear screaming and gunshots. The first instinct generally is to run away to safety, especially if you have little ones with you (which many did).

His gun jammed, that's why more people were not hit. 2 died, he killed himself. But several more people were badly injured and are still in critical condition. It wasn't just the two that were killed that got hit by those rounds.

I am thankful his gun did jam, because he had enough ammo to do a lot more damage.

And again, if someone sees a dude brandishing a fucking AR-15, they will probably try to get the fuck out, not try to apprehend him. At least, that's what I would do. I would get the fuck out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CuriousOne For This Useful Post:
Brometheus, Kanda444
Old 12-14-2012, 01:29 PM
pbaj12
Offline:
Captain of a Sinking Ship
Poster Rank:887
Contributions: 14

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss523

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousOne View Post
Most people duck, hide or run when they hear screaming and gunshots. The first instinct generally is to run away to safety, especially if you have little ones with you (which many did).

His gun jammed, that's why more people were not hit. 2 died, he killed himself. But several more people were badly injured and are still in critical condition. It wasn't just the two that were killed that got hit by those rounds.

I am thankful his gun did jam, because he had enough ammo to do a lot more damage.

And again, if someone sees a dude brandishing a fucking AR-15, they will probably try to get the fuck out, not try to apprehend him. At least, that's what I would do. I would get the fuck out.
I would get cover as first instinct but if I saw the shooter and I had an opportunity to tackle him, I would take it. If I was in front of him then no, I wouldn't go all Braveheart on him.

His gun jammed but he got it working again, probably a double feed which only takes a few seconds to clear. He shot 4 people including himself. Steven Forsyth, 45, and Cindy Yuille, 54, were both killed and Kristina Shevchenko, 15, is in serious but stable condition with a shot to her chest.

The Following User Says Thank You to pbaj12 For This Useful Post:
CuriousOne
Old 12-15-2012, 02:59 AM
invertigo
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:258
I need a nap =|
Contributions: 43

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3275

That was the mall I got my tongue pierced at

Glad it was only a needle and not a bullet that did the piercing.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 AM
CuriousOne
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:1033
Female

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss402

I know who he killed, and I know Kristina is fighting for her life right now. It's terrible.

And, well, the world needs more people like you who would still take that chance to tackle him. I'm only 5'2" so I wouldn't do much. So I would run.

The Following User Says Thank You to CuriousOne For This Useful Post:
pbaj12
Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 AM
Mr-Tape
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1641
Male

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss201

Quote:
Originally Posted by batlungs View Post
only 2 people, fuck if ur gonna do it, do it big. find a crowd and use a sawed off. like common only 2 outta the whole mall.
Not so funny anymore after December 14th at 9:45, huh?
I wonder how many more killing sprees will unfold in beautiful America before Christmas.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:31 PM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat
Poster Rank:16

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 19389 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post
You gotta admit though those conceal/open carry permits Americans love so much dont work when mass murderers rear their heads.

Yet it is the #1 reason why they want them.

How many mass shootings were stopped by somebody with a legal firearm whilst out and about?

I read yesterday, I'll have to find the article, but someone with a conceal carry license, did have their weapon with them, while the shooting was happening. Apparently the person pulled their weapon, pointed at the shooter and the shooter shot killed himself right after that. From what I understand the citizen didn't want to make a mistake and miss, so he didn't fire.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to K9Grip For This Useful Post:
gatagato, Kanda444, pbaj12
Old 12-18-2012, 02:55 PM
gatagato
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss5486

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Grip View Post
I read yesterday, I'll have to find the article, but someone with a conceal carry license, did have their weapon with them, while the shooting was happening. Apparently the person pulled their weapon, pointed at the shooter and the shooter shot killed himself right after that. From what I understand the citizen didn't want to make a mistake and miss, so he didn't fire.
I guess this is the man

Clackamas mall shooter faced man with concealed weapon
Quote:
PORTLAND -- Nick Meli is emotionally drained. The 22-year-old was at Clackamas Town Center with a friend and her baby when a masked man opened fire.

"I heard three shots and turned and looked at Casey and said, 'are you serious?,'" he said.

The friend and baby hit the floor. Meli, who has a concealed carry permit, positioned himself behind a pillar.

"He was working on his rifle," said Meli. "He kept pulling the charging handle and hitting the side."

The break in gunfire allowed Meli to pull out his own gun, but he never took his eyes off the shooter.

"As I was going down to pull, I saw someone in the back of the Charlotte move, and I knew if I fired and missed, I could hit them," he said.

Meli took cover inside a nearby store. He never pulled the trigger. He stands by that decision.

"I'm not beating myself up cause I didn't shoot him," said Meli. "I know after he saw me, I think the last shot he fired was the one he used on himself."

The gunman was dead, but not before taking two innocent lives with him and taking the innocence of everyone else.

"I don't ever want to see anyone that way ever," said Meli. "It just bothers me."
Story + video / kgw.com

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
K9Grip, Kanda444, pbaj12