Go Back  

Shirley Chambers, Chicago Mother to Bury 4th Child Killed. 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 02-05-2013, 04:10 AM
xstunt1ngx
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:632

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss883
Shirley Chambers, Chicago Mother to Bury 4th Child Killed.

As she prepared to lay to rest her fourth of four children killed by gun violence in Chicago, mother Shirley Chambers was a special guest at a Sunday service at a church on the city's West Side.

Members of the Galewood Community Church UCC took up a special collection for Chambers on Sunday, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Chambers' fourth and youngest child, 33-year-old Ronnie, was one of seven people fatally shot on Jan. 26 in Chicago. Chambers previously lost all three of her other children in shootings, all of which also took place in Chicago.

"I feel stressed out. I can't eat, I can't sleep, it's killing me," Chambers told WBEZ during an appearance on "Afternoon Shift" last week, noting that no one from the city reached out to her following her family's latest tragedy but that several pastors have offered support.

On Monday, Ronnie was laid to rest. (Reuters was on the scene and took some heart-wrenching photographs from the service.)

Chambers' daughter LaToya was fatally shot in July 2000 at the age of 15, three months after her brother, 23-year-old Jerome, was also gunned down. In 1995, Shirley's oldest child, Carlos, was also fatally shot at the age of 18.

At the time of her death, LaToya was the same age as Hadiya Pendleton, the 15-year-old who performed at President Obama's inauguration just a week before she was shot in the back while waiting out a rainstorm in a park near her school.

No suspects have been apprehended in either Ronnie's or Hadiya's deaths, just two of the 40-plus homicides Chicago racked up in January, the bloodiest start to a year the city has seen since 2002. A $40,000 reward is being offered in exchange for information in Pendleton's death.

The gun violence has prompted many to urge President Barack Obama to return to his hometown and address the tragedies in Chicago.

"The president's voice is so urgently needed here," the Rev. Jesse Jackson said during a march in Pendleton's honor on Sunday.

On Sunday, Mothers in Charge, a Philadelphia-based national group that offers violence prevention education and helps the families of people killed by guns go through the grieving process, also announced at the Sunday service that they will be opening a Chicago chapter of their group, the Tribune reports.

"I don’t want another mother to go through what I went through. The Chambers, the Pendletons, the list goes on," Carolyn Champion, executive director of the new Chicago chapter, told WGN. "Something has got to change."

Source :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...usaolp00000003

Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 AM
fenek
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1230
Male

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss308
Re: Shirley Chambers, Chicago Mother to Bury 4th Child Killed.

My problem with the Huffington Post, and outlets like it, is that theres an agenda behind publishing this story, and them feigning grief over a this is as outrageous as it is tacky. Gun violence in the black community is nothing new, and yet of all the times now they're writing stories about it. They don't give a fuck about this woman's kids and they don't give a fuck about gun violence in the black community. If they did they'd be publishing these stories long before this recent uproar over guns. They're no different than Fox News as far as I'm concerned. They're a bunch of disingenuous asswipes that are exploiting this woman's grief to keep their faggot middle class white audience firmly grounded in emotional reasoning. And I'm sure the editors and the author of this piece are patting themselves on the back - not only are they crusading against guns, but they get to rescue black people from themselves in the process.

The Following User Says Thank You to fenek For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 AM
peema
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1485

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss233

everyone has agenda and there is nothing wrong with it. I did not read the article but I am sure there are plenty more siblings left in that family. :lightingoneup

Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 AM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat
Poster Rank:16
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 19389 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

I'll agree about Huffpo though, just about every single story they've posted lately has been "gun violence." They have a huge agenda.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to K9Grip For This Useful Post:
AmericanIllusions, daughterofthenight, Megamel29
Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Grip View Post
I'll agree about Huffpo though, just about every single story they've posted lately has been "gun violence." They have a huge agenda.
That's why I never use just one news source. Every paper has their own agenda.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
AmericanIllusions, icheerthebull, K9Grip
Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 AM
collaredgirl65
Offline:
Smartest Retard
Poster Rank:127
Female

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8016

The thing about the gun violence that they are reporting is that not a one of the persons who are using guns is a legal gun holder anyways. They think gun control will stop these acts of violence? How will making more laws to restrict gun ownership stop the criminals from illegally obtaining guns? It just doesn't make sense, well at least to those of us who actively use our brains.

diamondsmiles, Megamel29
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Megamel29
Offline:
Female

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Yup.

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
38600-gun-control-for-dummies_f.jpg  

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
5umguy24, AmericanIllusions, collaredgirl65, johnleeknoefler, Nasty Nuggets
Old 02-05-2013, 12:47 PM
xstunt1ngx
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:632

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss883

Yeah the titled included "Gun Violence" but I didn't want to add that because some people might think I'm against gun ownership...

The Following User Says Thank You to xstunt1ngx For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight
Old 02-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Megamel29
Offline:
Female

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstunt1ngx View Post
Yeah the titled included "Gun Violence" but I didn't want to add that because some people might think I'm against gun ownership...
I'm for gun ownership, as long as the gun owner has learned to properly use and store the weapon and hasn't committed a crime using a gun. If a law abiding citizen keeps a gun in his or her home for protection, that's fine by me. If someone breaks into a home, I hope the residents are either not home or able to defend themselves.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
collaredgirl65, daughterofthenight, diamondsmiles
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Poster Rank:276

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3029

This story is so marginalized its pathetic. I have strong roots in Detroit and I don't have any friends that have been murdered in all my 28 years but I've known of a few guys that were but it never came as a surprise given their dealings. I say all this to say that a woman that has had 2 children murdered is quite uncommon but to find one that has had four killed is 1 in 1,000,000!!!

Fuck the media. They never have an answer that is practical or outside what the govt wants (NO GUNS) so why listen to them

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmericanIllusions For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight, fenek