Mentioned: 628 Post(s)
Quoted: 33972 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sss115708
Scott Weiland, Singer of STP, Dead at 48

Quote:
Scott Weiland, the singer of Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver who spent much of his life battling substance abuse, is dead at 48.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7209be034dca215ad70c3803ef26547874e7cec5.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	654943

Weiland, on tour with his group Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts, was found dead on his tour bus in Minnesota, as TMZ first reported and the Los Angeles Times confirmed with his wife. The cause of his death was not immediately known.

Much of the world learned of Weiland’s demise from Dave Navarro, famed guitar player of Jane’s Addiction, who tweeted the news. A message confirming his death also appeared on his Instagram account.

Just learned our friend Scott Weiland has died. So gutted, I am thinking of his family tonight.

— Dave Navarro (@DaveNavarro) December 4, 2015

Weiland was to play a show in Rochester, Minn., Friday evening. His show outside of Minneapolis on Thursday was canceled “due to slow ticket sales,” as Jon Bream of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.

Weiland came at fame sideways: His most renowned group, Stone Temple Pilots, was at first a Pearl Jam soundalike that many thought eventually transcended tribute-band status. But once the singer found fame on his own terms, his personal demons always made it seem he could squander it at any time. As, indeed, he sometimes did.

“We were written off as the band of disastrous dysfunction with too many personal problems to survive,” Weiland wrote in his 2011 memoir, “Not Dead & Not For Sale.” “Or rather, I was written off as the guy whose hopeless addictions had – and would always – ruin everything for everyone.”

Weiland was born in Santa Cruz, Calif., in 1967. His name at birth was Scott Kline; when his parents divorced when he was 2 and his mother remarried, he took his stepfather’s surname. Weiland wrote that his “new dad was a good guy whose middle name was discipline” while his biological one was “a cool dude who drove a Pepsi truck for a living but smoked dope at night and listened to the Doors.”

The singer chose to emulate the latter. Living with his dad during the summer, he chugged his first beers in the sixth grade.

“I liked the feeling of entering an alternate energy field,” he wrote. “I liked the psychological and chemical rearrangement brought on by the alcohol.” By seventh grade, he was drinking alone.

Childhood and adolescence brought further troubles. Weiland was diagnosed with ADD. His mother turned out to be an alcoholic. And at 12, he was raped by a high-school senior.

“This was a memory I suppressed until only a few years ago when, in rehab, it came flooding back,” he wrote in 2011. “… The dude raped me. It was quick, not pleasant. I was too scared to tell anyone.”

Weiland’s mother and stepfather also checked him into a mental hospital for a three-month stay at 16 — without telling him ahead of time. Two policemen and two paramedics showed up at his high school, and whisked him away without explanation.

“Just say what they want you to say, I thought to myself, and get the hell out of here,” he wrote. “‘I am a substance abuser,’ I said. I got out.”

All was not despair, however. A promising quarterback, Weiland was sidelined by an injury when he discovered rock-and-roll. Inspired by the Sex Pistols, the Clash, Echo and the Bunnymen and Queen, he started his own postpunk band that made waves in Orange County before he relocated to Los Angeles.

There and in San Diego, Stone Temple Pilots — or STP, as they came to be known — coalesced. And, as grunge swept the nation — and A&R men swept the nation looking for more of it — the band signed to Atlantic Records in 1992.

“We were ecstatic, but we were also dead serious about crafting and playing the kind of self-reflective rock that we respected,” Weiland wrote. “We weren’t going to do crap; and we weren’t going to be imitators.”

Yet “Core,” STP’s debut, was widely viewed as nothing but imitation. Weiland, with a growl that came very close to that of Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam, was the biggest target.

“Yet another ’70s-revival grunge-rock act, the Stone Temple Pilots sound like such Seattleites as Nirvana and Soundgarden, but like Pearl Jam they throw in a little R.E.M. just to be safe,” Mark Jenkins wrote in The Washington Post in 1992. “… Vaguely angry, the Pilots denounce religion, authority and apathy in their lyrics; in the album’s liner notes, the band also attacks mass-media entertainment (hmmm . . .) and the ‘dead and bloated nation of sleepwalkers.’ Their own worldview isn’t much of an alternative, though, and as a musical platform ‘Core’ could hardly be called progressive.”
MORE HERE

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
Scott_weiland_with_mic.jpg  

scott_weiland_53099.jpg  

Azimuth, BBKF, dolbored, downunder, FunkPumpkin, gatagato, kellyhound, Kinky_John, morbid75, mrm1109, Oswald2001, Pyramid_Head, Rille, sancatz22, Sharon, shoelessjojackson, smmrblake, UrnAsh, wintersleep0
Old 12-04-2015, 07:39 AM
Azimuth
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:33
Woman

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 3618 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss23376
Re: Scott Weiland, Singer of STP, Dead at 48

What a troubled soul, I hope he's at peace.

Kinky_John, morbid75, mrm1109, okidoll, Oswald2001, Rille
Old 12-04-2015, 07:52 AM
Amy
Offline:
Mother Superior
Poster Rank:1
Keeper of the Cocks
Contributions: 8

Mentioned: 628 Post(s)
Quoted: 33972 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sss115708

I loved STP! He was struggling the last time we saw them in concert. Rough lifestyle.

BBKF, morbid75, mrm1109, Oswald2001, Sharon
Old 12-04-2015, 07:58 AM
Oswald2001
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:99

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2766 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss10543

A tortured soul and notorious druggie.

RIP, brother.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oswald2001 For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, mrm1109
Old 12-04-2015, 08:02 AM
Wildrice
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1058
girl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss386

RIP BRO

still rocked stp on my ipod even in 2015

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wildrice For This Useful Post:
Amy, mrm1109, Oswald2001
Old 12-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12567

This is just devastating...R.I.P Scott.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
Amy, mrm1109
Old 12-04-2015, 01:10 PM
morbid75
Offline:
★Athena★
Poster Rank:139
Contributions: 17

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss7043

That is a shame. It is a very rough lifestyle.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to morbid75 For This Useful Post:
Amy, mrm1109, Oswald2001
Old 12-04-2015, 02:55 PM
cloud9
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:6367
Female

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss21

STP has been one of my favorite bands since the early 90's. I always hoped Scott would eventually overcome his demons and not end up like so many other talented musicians of that era. Very sad. RIP Scott, you'll rock on forever.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cloud9 For This Useful Post:
Amy, mrm1109, Oswald2001
Old 12-04-2015, 03:42 PM
hell_bent
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:2865
girly

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20