Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3937 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6399
School Bus Crash Kills Teens on Texas Highway

Two female high school students are dead and three injured after their bus overturned on a Texas highway.

Two girls have died while two students and the driver are seriously injured after the bus*fell from an overpass*The vehicle, heading to Furr High School, was only carrying four students when it crashed at around 7am**One girl, an African-American, died at the scene and the other in hospital, school officials said.

They show the wrecked bus on its side at the bottom of an overpass at the 610 Loop in southeast Houston Officials said bus driver, who has been with Houston schools district*for three years, has a clean driving record Records show that the bus last underwent a maintenance inspection in June, school officials added Driver of a Buick LeSabre has been detained for questioning after incident, but has not been charged, police said The driver reportedly swerved into the school bus, causing it to hit the guard rail and fall off the overpass

Two female students are dead and three others are seriously injured after a school bus overturned on a highway in Texas this morning.

The bus hit the guard rail before falling from an overpass after being hit by another vehicle at the 610 Loop near Telephone Road in southeast Houston at around 7am, according to authorities.

The vehicle, which was bound for Furr High School, was only carrying four students - the two girls who died and two male students.

One student died at the scene and the other in hospital later, a Houston Independent Schools District spokesman said. Their names and ages have not been released, but HISD said both were African-American.

In a statement, HISD said the injured students, as well as the driver of the bus, were taken to hospitals in the area.*

Officials said that Furr High School is also home to REACH Charter High School and it is unclear which school the students attend.*

HISD Superintendent Terry Grier said: 'We are deeply saddened by this tragedy. I ask all of the HISD community to join me in praying for all of those involved.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...way-Texas.html http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...2329049977.jpg http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...2330779530.jpg http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...2332387946.jpg http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...way-Texas.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	2C59052500000578-3235428-Police_said_a_driver_is_being_questioned_after_reportedly_swervi-m-26_1.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	642711

Click image for larger version

Name:	2C58337F00000578-3235428-Houston_Independent_Schools_District_said_the_injured_students_a-a-22_1.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	642708

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vipersna For This Useful Post:
kellyhound, Oswald2001, winvens
Old 09-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
Poster Rank:8
female

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 9043 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63927
Re: Schoolbus Crash

What bothers me about schoolbusses, at least here in the US is that they do not have any safety features.

It seems that new busses should be built with some.

We have to restrain our children in private vehicles.

I understand the feasability of retro fitting, testing features for new buses, and finally implementing any features, but they just seem dangerous to me.

vipersna, winvens
Old 09-15-2015, 03:00 PM
chris
Offline:
★ ★ GENERAL ★ ★
Poster Rank:50
male
Contributions: 20

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 20/20
Today Posts
9/11 ssss17482

Ah, this sucks. Two kids killed, wtf.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chris For This Useful Post:
Arkoquisa, kellyhound, Pink., vipersna
Old 09-15-2015, 03:01 PM
rien713
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:26375

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink. View Post
What bothers me about schoolbusses, at least here in the US is that they do not have any safety features.

It seems that new busses should be built with some.

We have to restrain our children in private vehicles.

I understand the feasability of retro fitting, testing features for new buses, and finally implementing any features, but they just seem dangerous to me.
Agreed.

This bus, however, did have lap belts. Guess the security cameras will determine whether any of the passengers were using them. Dunno if it would have made a difference in this particular accident.

"According to HISD, the bus driver has been with HISD for about three years and has a clean driving record. Records show that the bus, purchased new in 2008, last underwent a maintenance inspection in June.
"HISD said the bus is equipped with lap belts for students, as well as seven security cameras. Footage from the cameras will be reviewed during the investigation."
Local news: http://www.click2houston.com/news/br...-road/35279158

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rien713 For This Useful Post:
Arkoquisa, kellyhound, Pink., Sybil, vipersna
Old 09-16-2015, 02:25 PM
Arkoquisa
King of East Texas
Poster Rank:273
XY

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 12/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss3066

Hmmmm. I wonder about the driver of that buick. People drive with their head rammed far up their ass around here. That is a really... really shitty area too.

I remember we had a bus in high school with restraints, but for really young kids. HISD is always getting new vehicles, but also a huge lack of bus drivers in the district, and surrounding districts.

Driving in Houston is little different than driving in Thailand or Mexico.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arkoquisa For This Useful Post:
gwkatthdammned, Pink.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:53 PM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
female

Activity Longevity
3/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkoquisa View Post
Hmmmm. I wonder about the driver of that buick. People drive with their head rammed far up their ass around here. That is a really... really shitty area too.

I remember we had a bus in high school with restraints, but for really young kids. HISD is always getting new vehicles, but also a huge lack of bus drivers in the district, and surrounding districts.

Driving in Houston is little different than driving in Thailand or Mexico.
we have to go to Houston every few weeks from south LA and when I get in that damned south loop, I want to SCREAM!!!

Arkoquisa
Old 09-16-2015, 02:55 PM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
female

Activity Longevity
3/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63927

You know.....the one that goes past the old Astrodome??? That patch of highway sucks ass.

Arkoquisa
Old 09-17-2015, 05:27 PM
Arkoquisa
King of East Texas
Poster Rank:273
XY

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 12/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss3066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink. View Post
You know.....the one that goes past the old Astrodome??? That patch of highway sucks ass.
Every patch of highway blows donkey balls. Best just to learn the side roads and cut through the ghetto pits. South Houston is not a nice place to get lost in though.

I saw I-10 blocked off with one lane running, in the middle of a storm about a month ago. Something like 30 roadside assistance trucks... all for one 55 gallon drum that was on the side of the road. With about 20 people watching a guy on a bobcat load it into a pickup bed. Traffic was backed up from central Houston to the west loop. It was mind numbing to see such stupidity.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:45 PM
spudigitti
Offline:
His Royal Highness
Poster Rank:70
male

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4724 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
19/20 5/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss13367