Activity Longevity
2/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss524
Re: Regulators Discover a Hidden Viral Gene in Commercial GMO Crops

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapn View Post

Watch it
8:30 - Alex Avery. His organization has received funding from Monsanto, DowElanco and the Ag-Chem Equipment Company. Biased?

9:45 - In the past 10 years, ten review studies of the scientific literature comparing the nutrition of organic and conventional foods have been published. Eight of these review studies [9], [10], [11], [12], [13], [14], [15], [16] found some evidence of organic food being more nutritious, whereas two review articles [17], [18] concluded that there were no consistent nutritional differences between organic and conventional foods. Comparisons of foods from organic and conventional systems are often complicated by the interactive effects of farming practices, soil quality, plant varieties, and the time of harvest on nutritional quality. Hence, many of the comparative studies cited in some of the earlier reviews were not experimentally well designed to draw valid conclusions [13], [17]

10:00 - A problem with rBST is what it does to the cows not so much humans. While there is a slight increase in milk there are increases in food consumption. rBST also causes cows to be more prone to sickness and require antibiotics which can increase antibiotic resistance in bacteria.
Organic milk is from cows that are rBST and antibiotic free. There are also requirements that cows are eating organic feed and have access to a pasture. If you were a cow what would you rather have?

11:30 - This really doesn't prove anything. You can have organic apples and one apple can taste better than another. You can have non-organic oranges and one can taste better than another. I doubt very few people would be able to tell by taste which thing is healthier or its composition.

13:00 - "The ACS said there's no scientific evidence that pesticide residues are a cause of cancer."
Hm. Laboratory studies show that pesticides can cause health problems, such as birth defects, nerve damage, cancer. But it's a small risk (not zero) because you're still consuming pesticides.

14:00 - Organic farmers using pesticides. Yes, concentrated vinegar, corn meal gluten (used in animal feed) and essential oils (the ones used in perfumes, cosmetics, soap and even food and drinks). Scary stuff right?

17:40 - "If everything was organic billions would starve." I had no idea there weren't starving people in the world. Or over population.

18:20 - When you use poo as fertilizer you're supposed to let it compost long/hot enough so those bad things get killed off. They fail to state that though.

18:30 - They basically say cows are causing a lot greenhouse gas. Hm do we only use cows for their shit? And only organic farming uses shit right? I fail to see their point here.

19:20 - Organic isn't all from small farms. Neither is conventional. I'm sure there's a lot of people that think pesticide laced fruits and vegetables are from their backyard. Proves nothing.

20:00 - Fruits from China. Yeah because only the United States has farmers. Where did apples originally come from? China. What about oranges? Obviously since some bad stuff came from China, everything is bad right? There's never been any bad things that came from U.S. suppliers? Scare tactics.

And I'm sick of them showing the two dumbest people they could find for this show. You're really proving a point when you get idiots on there.

21:00 - "No law that produce has to be labeled for where they're are grown and it's almost never done." I've looked at all my fruit and it says where it's from. Problem?

21:45 - Media isn't telling consumers everything. What's new?

22:00 - Proves nothing like I said above. Same banana tastes different? Perception. And placebos have never shown to do anything?

24:30 - So you just proved that everyone you had, chose the wrong ones regardless.

25:00 - Boobs. Need to get ratings up somehow.

25:45 - I guess we should just say fuck it, I'm just one person and I can't make a difference.

Not biased at all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pbaj12 For This Useful Post:
InfoWarrior, Seven Of Nine
Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 PM
InfoWarrior
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:779

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss648
Re: Regulators Discover a Hidden Viral Gene in Commercial GMO Crops

Just wanted to add that you have to take into account that most animals are being fed GMO corn or other GMO food in factory farms. The only way to avoid this is pretty much to go to a farmers market or farmer and ask to purchase half a cow or a full cow. The best way to do this is go in half and half with a buddy or two as it is quite expensive. This will provide you with meat for a half a year to a year though so it's more of an investment then anything. Hunting of course is a good option to attain healthy meat as well

Even if you don't believe in avoiding GMO or think it's all fine and dandy you actually save a lot of money in the long run if you just buy half a cow and get it butchered anyways. If you can get grass-fed beef then you will also be eating a much healthier animal! As cows are not really meant to be ingesting and processing grains. You will get a much leaner and healthier meat.

Keep on rocking in the not so free world.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InfoWarrior For This Useful Post:
pbaj12, Seven Of Nine