Go Back  

Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a Highway 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now
 
  #61  
Old 06-24-2014, 07:42 PM
Kanda444's Avatar
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Join Date: May 2010
Contributions: 23
 
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss49337
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desensitisation View Post
There were multiple stupidities in this case. The driver, for doing something illegal on the highway, and the biker, for not paying attention and riding with due care. If it had been a tree lying across the road, he would still be dead. His death cannot be 100% attributed and put on the driver.
not exactly... if i had put the tree in the road, i would be charged with a crime for creating a dangerous situation. that's what the woman did what she parked her car on a freeway... created a dangerous situation.

__________________
"High moral character is not a precondition for great moral accomplishments."
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kanda444 For This Useful Post:
Illusion, Zambini
  #62  
Old 06-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Kanda444's Avatar
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Join Date: May 2010
Contributions: 23
 
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss49337
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

i would also be willing to bet that, like some in this thread seem to feel, the motorcycle driver probably had the false sense of security that comes from convincing yourself that you're a better driver than the rest of the world. assuming that you can control a vehicle 100% of the time in every situation because of your own skills is a dangerous delusion to have, and it is a delusion. it is very much a case of Optimism bias, which is a proven issue for a lot of drivers. a study published by The National Center for Biotechnology Information called "The optimism bias and traffic accident risk perception" said:

Quote:
Research suggests that people are excessively and unrealistically optimistic when judging their driving competency and accident risk.
(source)

this is just one example of such studies.... the idea that the man on the motorcycle wasnt as competent of a driver as those that werent there is to be expected. it's classic optimism bias...

same study:

Quote:
In general, it appears that optimism arises because people persistently overestimate the degree of control that they have over events.

__________________
"High moral character is not a precondition for great moral accomplishments."
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Shadedwill's Avatar
Shadedwill
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:250
Male (evidently surprisingly)
Join Date: May 2010
 
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3421
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

I don't think Mike suffers from optimism bias, personally because I am more inclined to believe he suffers from depression or depression related symptoms, the one positive aspect of which is a more realistic impression of things like that.
Sorry Mike, <3 you gingie.

(Don't take this as diagnosis, ect ect ect not an e-psychologist ect ect not on the medical side)

Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shadedwill For This Useful Post:
Kanda444, Zambini
  #64  
Old 06-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Shadedwill's Avatar
Shadedwill
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:250
Male (evidently surprisingly)
Join Date: May 2010
 
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3421
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

The tree analogy is a good one, Kanda. I think this is a terrible and tragic situation. There is no winner here and it's cold justice, without comfort. But the law is law and she did create a hazard, much like cutting down a tree over a road. Her heart was probably in the right place, but she forgot about people, which you cannot do.

Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shadedwill For This Useful Post:
Kanda444, Zambini
  #65  
Old 06-24-2014, 07:56 PM
Kanda444's Avatar
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Join Date: May 2010
Contributions: 23
 
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss49337
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadedwill View Post
I don't think Mike suffers from optimism bias, personally because I am more inclined to believe he suffers from depression or depression related symptoms, the one positive aspect of which is a more realistic impression of things like that.
Sorry Mike, <3 you gingie.

(Don't take this as diagnosis, ect ect ect not an e-psychologist ect ect not on the medical side)
he made the claim that he personally doesnt give 2 seconds of space when driving but others should... he said he doesnt because he's more skilled than others. that is implying that he can either make his car stop quicker than physics allows or that he is assuming that he will always have an out and will always be able to avoid a collision.

this is the definition of optimism bias... when you claim your abilities will allow you to defy physics.

__________________
"High moral character is not a precondition for great moral accomplishments."
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kanda444 For This Useful Post:
Shadedwill
  #66  
Old 06-24-2014, 07:58 PM
Kanda444's Avatar
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Join Date: May 2010
Contributions: 23
 
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss49337
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadedwill View Post
The tree analogy is a good one, Kanda. I think this is a terrible and tragic situation. There is no winner here and it's cold justice, without comfort. But the law is law and she did create a hazard, much like cutting down a tree over a road. Her heart was probably in the right place, but she forgot about people, which you cannot do.
exactly! she wasnt being malicious... quite the opposite, she was being a sweetheart.... but her heart got in the way of her thinking, sadly, and this tragedy happened. horrible case for all.

__________________
"High moral character is not a precondition for great moral accomplishments."
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kanda444 For This Useful Post:
Shadedwill
  #67  
Old 06-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Shadedwill's Avatar
Shadedwill
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:250
Male (evidently surprisingly)
Join Date: May 2010
 
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3421
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanda444 View Post
he made the claim that he personally doesnt give 2 seconds of space when driving but others should... he said he doesnt because he's more skilled than others. that is implying that he can either make his car stop quicker than physics allows or that he is assuming that he will always have an out and will always be able to avoid a collision.

this is the definition of optimism bias... when you claim your abilities will allow you to defy physics.
And I believe I can punch you through the computer..

... Oh fuck.
Sent from my phone

PS. Yeah, I missed him saying that. I defer.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shadedwill For This Useful Post:
Kanda444
  #68  
Old 06-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Kanda444's Avatar
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Join Date: May 2010
Contributions: 23
 
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss49337
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

im also not trying to say that Mike isnt a skilled driver... he may very well be so... but experience doesnt always equal skill. my dad has 3 million miles + as a professional truck driver.... but that was years ago and he's now a horrific driver. so, experience doesnt mean skilled. certianly, you'd like to assume that it would on some degree but if that's the case, then i suppose im 'higher skilled' than the average driver since i too drove delivery professionally for years.

__________________
"High moral character is not a precondition for great moral accomplishments."
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Kanda444's Avatar
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Join Date: May 2010
Contributions: 23
 
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss49337
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadedwill View Post
And I believe I can punch you through the computer..

... Oh fuck.
Sent from my phone

PS. Yeah, I missed him saying that. I defer.
i wish you could... im sure a good thump in the mouth would do wonders for me

__________________
"High moral character is not a precondition for great moral accomplishments."
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kanda444 For This Useful Post:
Shadedwill
  #70  
Old 06-24-2014, 09:31 PM
biohazard's Avatar
biohazard
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:922
Join Date: Nov 2012
 
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss484
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

I'd say this is almost completely the fault of the woman with the ducks. People really don't think when they stop on the road or stand on the side. The other night I was driving on the highway with a friend at 3AM chasing a storm since he's into photography. Some idiot in an unlit portion of the highway walked into our lane trying to hitch a ride. He made it about a meter into it, with his arm extended in a thumbs up. We swerved violently and ALMOST hit him. The idiot's only saving grace were our good reflexes. He was wearing dark clothes and was 300 yards away from a lit portion where he could have easily walked but didn't think. We were driving under the limit because there was some light rain, speeding wasn't even an issue. Moral of the story is that people do STUPID things on the road and assume drivers can see before hand. Sometimes the conditions make it hard to see for drivers. No doubt the same problem happened here.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biohazard For This Useful Post:
Kanda444

Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2010 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO