Go Back  

Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a Highway 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now
 
  #41  
Old 06-22-2014, 02:45 PM
Metal Mike's Avatar
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable
Join Date: Jun 2013
 
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanda444 View Post
I rest my case.
Oh, whatthefuckever. Do you even lift, bro?

1.5 seconds is still comfortable distance for an alert driver.

And really, it's a 3-second rule; not a 2-second rule. The fact remains that I haven't had a rear-end collision since I was 17 and licensed for less than 3 months at the time, and even that collision occurred at less than 35 with no injuries.

So it's quite possible that I know what I'm talking about.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Metal Mike For This Useful Post:
Kanda444
  #42  
Old 06-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Illusion's Avatar
Illusion
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:27
Join Date: Oct 2009
Contributions: 23
 
Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 10866 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 ssss25780
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mike View Post
Bull. Fucking. Shit.

Rear-end collisions are ALWAYS the fault of the motorist who rear-ends the vehicle in front of them.

This woman's conviction needs to be overturned on appeal. The motorcyclist's negligence is what caused his own deatg and the death of his daughter.

I'm glad you are changing your tune about the whole situation because it sure sounded like your argument at first was that it's safe to park in the middle of a busy highway with traffic going over 100 kph with no warning flashers oso you can bring ducks off a road, take them with you, and have other drivers reasonably avoid you!!!!!



Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Kanda444's Avatar
Kanda444
Online
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Join Date: May 2010
Contributions: 23
 
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20101 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 13/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss49337
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mike View Post
Oh, whatthefuckever. Do you even lift, bro?

1.5 seconds is still comfortable distance for an alert driver.

And really, it's a 3-second rule; not a 2-second rule. The fact remains that I haven't had a rear-end collision since I was 17 and licensed for less than 3 months at the time, and even that collision occurred at less than 35 with no injuries.

So it's quite possible that I know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
hy·poc·ri·sy/hiˈpäkrisē/


noun
the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.
just keepin it real. Its not reasonable to expect others to do what you yourself won't or don't. Its like me saying nobody should ever take any drugs and consider that reasonable given my behavior with drugs.

__________________
"High moral character is not a precondition for great moral accomplishments."
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kanda444 For This Useful Post:
Metal Mike
  #44  
Old 06-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Shadedwill's Avatar
Shadedwill
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:250
Male (evidently surprisingly)
Join Date: May 2010
 
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3421
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

So... were the ducks okay?

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shadedwill For This Useful Post:
Metal Mike
  #45  
Old 06-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Illusion's Avatar
Illusion
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:27
Join Date: Oct 2009
Contributions: 23
 
Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 10866 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 ssss25780
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadedwill View Post
So... were the ducks okay?

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Illusion For This Useful Post:
Metal Mike
  #46  
Old 06-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Metal Mike's Avatar
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable
Join Date: Jun 2013
 
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
I'm glad you are changing your tune about the whole situation because it sure sounded like your argument at first was that it's safe to park in the middle of a busy highway with traffic going over 100 kph with no warning flashers oso you can bring ducks off a road, take them with you, and have other drivers reasonably avoid you!!!!!


Oh, no, I was never advocating that. I was just saying that it's quite possible that a greater degree of situational awareness and vigilance on the part of all involved would have saved lives despite the duck lady's complete and utter lack of intelligent decision-making.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Metal Mike For This Useful Post:
Illusion
  #47  
Old 06-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Metal Mike's Avatar
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable
Join Date: Jun 2013
 
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanda444 View Post
just keepin it real. Its not reasonable to expect others to do what you yourself won't or don't. Its like me saying nobody should ever take any drugs and consider that reasonable given my behavior with drugs.
No, it's still reasonable to expect it. Just because someone engages in unsafe, improper, or illegal activities doesn't mean that people shouldn't not do it. I smoke cigarettes, but I would have no problem whupping my hypothetical kid's ass if I ever caught them smoking. Some things are just objectively unwise and dangerous, and no degree of hypocrisy will ever change that. "But you do it too" has always sounded like a flimsy and cynical justification to me.

I will admit the application of a double-standard to myself, though, because I drive for a living and can legitimately say that I'm a better driver than most. I've had close calls because of other people driving too slow or being stopped in a lane of travel, but all they wound up being were close calls instead of reportable incidents by virtue of the fact that I always make it a point to stay a comfortable distance back based on my own personal skill level and reaction time; and I remain vigilant, attentive, and always assuming of the fact that no set of circumstances would get me off the hook for being the rear vehicle in a rear-end collision.

All motorists -- professional or otherwise -- should do the same, as it would make the duck ladies of the world much less of a public menace.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Metal Mike For This Useful Post:
Kanda444
  #48  
Old 06-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Illusion's Avatar
Illusion
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:27
Join Date: Oct 2009
Contributions: 23
 
Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 10866 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 ssss25780
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mike View Post
Oh, no, I was never advocating that. I was just saying that it's quite possible that a greater degree of situational awareness and vigilance on the part of all involved would have saved lives despite the duck lady's complete and utter lack of intelligent decision-making.
Have you ever operated a motorcycle at highway speeds with a passenger riding in a staggered formation?

Fact remains that 1. You were not at the crime scene. 2. You were not at the trial, so don't know all the information 3. You are not an expert on motorcycles.

Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Pie's Avatar
Pie
Offline:
العضو التناسلي النسوي
Poster Rank:261
Too cool for Genetalia
Join Date: Jun 2010
 
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3177
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

Serves her right, hope so fucking rots in prison.

__________________
sig distorting page layout, too big. -chris
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Kanda444's Avatar
Kanda444
Online
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Join Date: May 2010
Contributions: 23
 
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20101 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 13/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss49337
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mike View Post
No, it's still reasonable to expect it. Just because someone engages in unsafe, improper, or illegal activities doesn't mean that people shouldn't not do it. I smoke cigarettes, but I would have no problem whupping my hypothetical kid's ass if I ever caught them smoking. Some things are just objectively unwise and dangerous, and no degree of hypocrisy will ever change that. "But you do it too" has always sounded like a flimsy and cynical justification to me.

I will admit the application of a double-standard to myself, though, because I drive for a living and can legitimately say that I'm a better driver than most. I've had close calls because of other people driving too slow or being stopped in a lane of travel, but all they wound up being were close calls instead of reportable incidents by virtue of the fact that I always make it a point to stay a comfortable distance back based on my own personal skill level and reaction time; and I remain vigilant, attentive, and always assuming of the fact that no set of circumstances would get me off the hook for being the rear vehicle in a rear-end collision.

All motorists -- professional or otherwise -- should do the same, as it would make the duck ladies of the world much less of a public menace.
I feel like you may be experiencing optimism bias

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimism_bias

I do agree that you can know and expect others to behavior morally while still lapsing in that morality at times yourself.....i do that too, we all do.....its still hypocrisy.

__________________
"High moral character is not a precondition for great moral accomplishments."
Reply With Quote

Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2010 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO