Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388
Re: Quebec Woman Sentenced to Jail After Helping a Family of Ducks Cross a High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
I am a professional driver who is approaching 3,000,000 miles at the wheel and I have probably hit virtually every animal that exists.
This made me laugh.

The Following User Says Thank You to Metal Mike For This Useful Post:
winvens
Old 06-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Poster Rank:28
Arse fucker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730

So she parked her car in the lane, not on the shoulder? What a fucking idiot!! COMMUNITY CHEST - Go to jail, go directly to jail, DO NOT pass Go, DO NOT collect $200.

I've run a few things over in my years on the road but i BRAKE FOR PUSSY.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blewvane For This Useful Post:
Illusion, rapeWhistle
Old 06-22-2014, 01:17 PM
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewvane View Post
So she parked her car in the lane, not on the shoulder? What a fucking idiot!! COMMUNITY CHEST - Go to jail, go directly to jail, DO NOT pass Go, DO NOT collect $200.

I've run a few things over in my years on the road but i BRAKE FOR PUSSY.
Too bad pussy doesn't brake for you.

Hell, it probably even floors the accelerator the minute it sees you coming.

Noooooooooodge!

Old 06-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Illusion
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:27
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 10905 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
9/11 ssss25840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mike View Post
It's incredibly realistic to expect drivers to follow the 2-second rule, because it takes a minimal amount of effort to do so. That's part of why there are traffic laws against tailgating. But even at closer distances, proper vigilance allows one make the most out of even milliseconds.

Here in Louisiana, I drive I-12 between Baton Rouge and Hammond around 3 times a day; and I've been along that route countless times since 2005. If something stupidly catastrophic is going to happen on a Louisiana interstate highway, it's going to happen on that stretch. I've seen every type of accident, and I've had to deal with every type of stupid driver. Just last week, I was 3 or 4 cars behind a rear-end accident in the passing lane while it was raining, and I was certainly following closer than 2 seconds when traffic came to a very sudden halt. But I don't take my eyes off the road, I don't speed in shitty weather, I don't tailgate, and I don't run on bald or flat tires; so I didn't hit the vehicle in front of me. It doesn't take much effort to predict what other drivers are going to do, and any one who gives the road their undivided attention at those speeds will 9 times out of 10 have a choice in whether or not they and their vehicle make it to their destination in one piece.

Based on everything I've read in this thread, the incident in question was in all likelihood very avoidable despite the retarded duck lady's stupidity. Defensive driving assumes that all other drivers are complete morons who will at any given moment and without the slightest hint of warning choose the stupidest course of action available when in close proximity to your vehicle.

First off there should not be a stationary object in a passing lane on a busy highway, two she did not have her blinkers as some emergency stops are allowed, thirdly the highway traffic acts of all of Canada clearly state do not swerve nor stop suddenly for an animal. That's it! If you pass your license exam then the onus is on you to drive with complete knowledge of all highway traffic rules and regulations.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Shakey
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:18
MAN

Mentioned: 447 Post(s)
Quoted: 21483 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 14/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss37775

Another story: Several years ago I was riding in my girlfriends car and she saw a turtle on the side of the road facing the other side. Suddenly she slams on the brakes and pulls off the side. I say what the fuck are you doing? She says that turtle is going to get ran over and gets out and puts him on the other side of the road. As we're pulling away I look back and he is crossing back. I start laughing and she started crying.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Metal Mike
Offline:
The Untrollable

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
Another story: Several years ago I was riding in my girlfriends car and she saw a turtle on the side of the road facing the other side. Suddenly she slams on the brakes and pulls off the side. I say what the fuck are you doing? She says that turtle is going to get ran over and gets out and puts him on the other side of the road. As we're pulling away I look back and he is crossing back. I start laughing and she started crying.

That's why you gotta walk 'em into the grass a little ways.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Metal Mike
Offline:
The Untrollable

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
First off there should not be a stationary object in a passing lane on a busy highway, two she did not have her blinkers as some emergency stops are allowed, thirdly the highway traffic acts of all of Canada clearly state do not swerve nor stop suddenly for an animal. That's it! If you pass your license exam then the onus is on you to drive with complete knowledge of all highway traffic rules and regulations.
Yes, I understand all that. She shouldn't have stopped in the lane. We are agreed on that point. She was a daffy cunt who did something incredibly stupid.

But people on the road still need to be prepared for sudden and unexpected obstacles and hazards, and the articles and statements cited in this thread tell me that the other parties involved were not.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Illusion
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:27

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 10905 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
9/11 ssss25840

Quote:
Yes, I understand all that. She shouldn't have stopped in the lane. We are agreed on that point. She was a daffy cunt who did something incredibly stupid.

But people on the road still need to be prepared for sudden and unexpected obstacles and hazards, and the articles and statements cited in this thread tell me that the other parties involved were not.
The fact that 12 jurors couldn't find any criminal negligence on bikers part and you have is surprisingly impressive , Mike. Congrats buddy!

On a serious note, one could argue that her being charged with two counts of criminal negligence causing death is a bit harsh considering there was no ill will at all - no alcohol, no speeding, no racing. The fact remains that we have a situation where the act was considered dangerous by the jury.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss49337

Quote:
It's incredibly realistic to expect drivers to follow the 2-second rule, because it takes a minimal amount of effort to do so. That's part of why there are traffic laws against tailgating. But even at closer distances, proper vigilance allows one make the most out of even milliseconds.

Here in Louisiana, I drive I-12 between Baton Rouge and Hammond around 3 times a day; and I've been along that route countless times since 2005. If something stupidly catastrophic is going to happen on a Louisiana interstate highway, it's going to happen on that stretch. I've seen every type of accident, and I've had to deal with every type of stupid driver. Just last week, I was 3 or 4 cars behind a rear-end accident in the passing lane while it was raining, and I was certainly following closer than 2 seconds when traffic came to a very sudden halt. But I don't take my eyes off the road, I don't speed in shitty weather, I don't tailgate, and I don't run on bald or flat tires; so I didn't hit the vehicle in front of me. It doesn't take much effort to predict what other drivers are going to do, and any one who gives the road their undivided attention at those speeds will 9 times out of 10 have a choice in whether or not they and their vehicle make it to their destination in one piece.

Based on everything I've read in this thread, the incident in question was in all likelihood very avoidable despite the retarded duck lady's stupidity. Defensive driving assumes that all other drivers are complete morons who will at any given moment and without the slightest hint of warning choose the stupidest course of action available when in close proximity to your vehicle.
I rest my case.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:40 PM
Metal Mike
Offline:
The Untrollable

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
The fact that 12 jurors couldn't find any criminal negligence on bikers part and you have is surprisingly impressive , Mike. Congrats buddy!

On a serious note, one could argue that her being charged with two counts of criminal negligence causing death is a bit harsh considering there was no ill will at all - no alcohol, no speeding, no racing. The fact remains that we have a situation where the act was considered dangerous by the jury.
And juries are notoriously stupid.

I'm not saying she shouldn't have been found guilty, and the lack of ill will on her part coupled with what you said about licensed motorists being assumed to be knowledgeable of traffic laws and regulations does indeed qualify her as being negligent; but I don't think she should receive the maximum sentence of over a decade in prison.

Probation, community service, hefty fines, restitution paid to the victim's family, and a lengthy revocation of her license, sure; but not prison time.

I'll even admit that I would want to beat someone severely for doing something as stupid as what she did; but accidents are just that, and most of the time they are indeed avoidable regardless of someone else's gross negligence and stupidity.