Poster Rank:124

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss8123
Psychic Claims Up to 30 Bodies in Texas Mass Grave

HULL — A pair of phone calls from a self-professed psychic about a mass grave in the middle of Liberty County led authorities on a wild goose chase Tuesday that ultimately netted nothing but frustration and a lot of needlessly burned gasoline.

After a cursory search of the residential property outside of Hardin piqued officers' interest with signs of blood and an awful smell, other Texas and federal agencies were brought in to assist what had the potential to be a horrendous mass killing. The tipster claimed there was a grave there with two dozen or more dismembered bodies, including those of children, but an exhaustive search later Tuesday proved pointless: The blood came from a weeks-old incident and the odor was a pile of rotting meat in a non-functioning deep freezer.

"There is no indication that there are in fact any bodies located at this residence or in the shed here," or anywhere on the property, said Liberty County sheriff's Captain Rex Evans, adding that there was no indication that any illegal activity had taken place on the property.

One well-placed law enforcement source called it a wild scene, complete with more than two dozen news reporters and two television helicopters circling overhead. After hours of waiting, authorities finally obtained a search warrant and descended on the home, which sits on a quarter-acre lot in an unincorporated area.
'Overwhelming' odor

"The smell of decomposition was overwhelming," the source said. "And so the rodeo began. This could very well have been a big deal. But it was ridiculous, as it turned out."

Satisfied there was nothing to the caller's tip, authorities were turning their attention to the caller, a woman who telephoned Monday night and again Tuesday. Officials have a name and a phone number, Evans said, but it was not immediately known whether either was valid. One law enforcement source said the so-called psychic lives in the Texas Panhandle and was using an Austin telephone number.

The tipster's knowledge of the premises and a precise description of the home led authorities to give her more credibility than they otherwise would have, Evans said.

She knew things about the layout of the house and the property, the contents of the house, how the walls were configured, Evans said.

She led authorities to believe she had been in the residence or knew someone who had been there, Evans said.

Evans said local authorities will consider pursuing charges against the caller, depending on the outcome of further investigations. Specifically, they will want to know whether the caller knew the family and may have had some grudge.

"There's no validity to the report,“ another law enforcement source confirmed. "There's nothing that matches what the psychic said."

Col. Steve McCraw, head of the Texas Department of Public Safety, echoed that statement and said that his agency had responded because it feels obliged to help out local authorities when called upon. The DPS, Texas Rangers and other state investigators as well as officials with the Beaumont FBI office rushed to the scene to assist.

The resident of the house, Joe Bankson, was stunned when he began getting calls about a mass grave and said that he had no idea what the tipster was referring to.

"It's very serious," said Bankson, a 44-year-old long-haul trucker reached on the road in Dallas. "Finding out that the police are in my yard for dead bodies? That's kinda panicking me. I ain't killed nobody. We've had the cops out at our house, but never for nothing like that. Somebody called the police on my dogs one time."

Bankson said he and his family have lived at the house for three years. He and his wife left Sunday for a haul to Georgia.

"I haven't killed anybody," he said. "And I have a lot of friends, but I haven't helped anybody bury any bodies."

Bankson said the blood that officers noticed on the porch of his home came from his daughter's former boyfriend, whom Bankson said cut himself intentionally a couple of weeks ago.

"He got drunk and cut his wrist," Bankson told KHOU-TV. "It took me all day to clean the inside of the house. I'm not sure I got it all."

He said the boyfriend was AWOL from the Army and is now in a military psychiatric ward in Killeen, according to Bankson.

Liberty County Judge Craig McNair apologized for the fuss but said nothing could be done to stop it once word leaked of the possible crime.

"This is Liberty County," McNair said. "We are not used to these kinds of stories."

Chronicle reporters Lindsay Wise, Jim Pinkerton, Brian Rogers, Dane Schiller and Zain Shauk contributed to this story.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...#ixzz1OgvNUWDw

I have family out that way that were freaking out yesterday.

The Following User Says Thank You to candymosh For This Useful Post:
Amy
Old 06-08-2011, 12:06 PM
souris
Offline:
SpanMan!
Poster Rank:105
guy

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss9506
Re: Psychic Claims Up to 30 Bodies in Texas Mass Grave

psychic?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585

Why do psychic's feel the need to con people into believing they can see into the future or can tap into past events, why scratch a living holding silly seances and such why not just predict the lottery outcome.......MMMMMMMM because they can't maybe?, just a thought.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:43 PM
souris
Offline:
SpanMan!
Poster Rank:105
guy

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss9506

course they can't. no such thing as psychics.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:36 PM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss8123

yeah...the police are looking for that chick. I'd be pissed too if someone made me look a fool

Old 06-08-2011, 05:34 PM
talleys
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1283

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss288

What's hilarious is that I saw a "Breaking News" notice at the top of CNN.com last night before I went to bed reporting "Mass Grave Discovered in Texas town" lol

The Following User Says Thank You to talleys For This Useful Post:
candymosh
Old 06-08-2011, 06:06 PM
candymosh
Offline:

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss8123

That psychic made a lot of people into fools then. I wonder how many other stations had this as breaking news.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:07 PM
candymosh
Offline:

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss8123

Self proclaimed psychic fears attention

Hunkered down in her trailer in the Texas Panhandle, a grandmother who had a vision that sparked a media circus and police search for alleged mass graves in Liberty County said she is being wronged and fears for children who may never be found.

"This is bad for people who call in a tip for something," she told the Houston Chronicle by phone Wednesday evening. "They think they have done a good deed, and it turns around on them."

The 48-year-old woman, who asked to only be identified by her nickname of Angel, said she never wanted any attention and fears the worldwide interest in the case will destroy her life if her identity is known publicly.

"I also have children and grandchildren," said the woman who agreed to be interviewed only on the condition she remain anonymous. "I'll be bombarded with media and all that. I do not like the spotlight."

Angel described herself as a reverend for a ministry that helps the poor and the homeless, and said that while she is based in Texas, she spends much of her time traveling to do God's work.

Sources close to an ongoing investigation confirmed Angel was truthful about her identity as well as that she'd previously shared information with law enforcement agencies in Texas.

Angel said she has had visions her entire life and after confiding with two friends who were having similar visions that three children could be in trouble, she contacted the Liberty County Sheriff's Office Monday.
Children were 'alive'

She strongly denied telling officers that they needed to search for bodies or that anyone was dead.

"They did not act on what I told them," she said. "My biggest concern is definitely the children," she added. "I think they are hungry and thirsty. They are still alive."

The Liberty County Sheriff's Office declined to comment on Angel's accusations late Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the sheriff's office said earlier in the day that it has not been able to verify any of the details provided by the tipster, including her name, location, or occupation, spokesman Rex Evans said.

And the tip she provided was false, he said.

Still, Evans said, "everything went by the book," even though officials did not know how the tipster had come to learn about the allegedly buried bodies.

"She did not specifically go into that," Evans said. "Not to my knowledge. I do not recall any specific details that she said she saw this or she felt this or she heard this."

Officials were searching for the tipster, but had made no progress, he said. The woman could face a minimum charge of filing a false report or making false statements, a misdemeanor, Evans said.

The tip that led to the media frenzy, which drew attention from around the globe amid rumors that a mass grave containing up to 30 dismembered bodies had been discovered, initially came on Monday, when the tipster called the Liberty County Sheriff's Office and reported that there were several bodies of children buried on a property in Hardin.

Deputies went to the property and found nothing, but in a subsequent call Tuesday the tipster redirected officials and offered more details that led them to a home with blood on the porch and the foul odor of rotting flesh in the air.

It was not clear how many times officials had spoken with the woman in total, but they did not know after their first conversation with her that she claimed to be a psychic, Evans said.

The blood was from an injury at the residence a few weeks earlier when an AWOL soldier tried to kill himself, and the odor was from a malfunctioning deep freeze full of pork products and maggots, officials have said.
'Got to look into it'

Officials did not discount her information when she told them she was a psychic, he said, and they followed the tip like they would any other.

Upon discovering the blood and odor at the property, deputies coordinated with the Liberty County District Attorney's office to request a search warrant for the home. They did not inform prosecutors that their information came from a woman who claimed to be a psychic, but did note the tip and the suspicious environment at the home, Liberty County District Attorney Michael Little said.

Although Liberty County officials have drawn criticism for their response to the tip, they said the factors at the home warranted a search.

"The question is when you have information of a serious nature like that people just can't sit on it," Little said. You've got to look into it. You've got to try to see if a crime had been committed or not."

Despite the tip's source, it had to be followed up on like any other that the county receives, Evans said. The search would likely have passed unnoticed had initial media reports not erroneously reported that dozens of bodies had been discovered at the site, sparking intense interest in the investigation, he said.

"I just wish that people would understand that, as a law enforcement agency, we're obligated to investigate things, and yesterday was simply us conducting an investigation to find out factual information," Evans said. "There was nothing more."

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...#ixzz1Ond91C8H

Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Xfactor
Offline:
Avoiding Limelight
Poster Rank:98
Male
Contributions: 4

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss10961

psychic investigators have a very bad track record

candymosh
The Following Users Disliked This Post By Xfactor:
hal0mega
Old 06-10-2011, 08:13 PM
candymosh
Offline:

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss8123

The lady is claiming that angels told her about the bodies. I wonder if she suffers from any mental illness.