Poster Rank:470
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1351
Pro Life Republican Congressman Demands Mistress to Get an Abortion

I don't know if ya'll have heard about this yet but Scott DesJarlais, a freshman Republican congressman is in hot water after transcripts of phone conversations he had with a woman he briefly had an affair with while he was still married have revealed that this strict pro life politician demanded the woman get an abortion after he impregnated her.

As featured on the Colbert Report

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. — Next week's election can't come soon enough for Scott DesJarlais, the freshman Republican congressman whose campaign has been rocked by revelations he dated patients and once urged one of them to seek an abortion.

The congressman has been largely absent from the campaign trail in the three weeks since news reports surfaced about a recorded phone conversation between DesJarlais and a woman with whom he said he had a brief relationship as his first marriage was nearing its end in 2001.

The DesJarlais campaign staff this week has been publicly disputing a Chattanooga Times Free Press report that quoted a woman not identified by name as saying she had been a patient of the Jasper physician and had a six-month relationship with him before his divorce.

While the campaign has said some of the story was wrong, it won't specify what it called inaccuracies.

The congressman has refused repeated requests for an interview from The Associated Press.

Mike Cowger, an engineering consultant and Democratic activist in Rutherford County, said DesJarlais is trying to run out the clock in hopes that the Republican advantage in the 4th Congressional District will come through for him.

"He gets 49 percent in this county without saying a word, he knows that," said Cowger, 64, an engineering consultant from Smyna. "So he doesn't have to do anything. He knows if he opens his mouth, he loses votes."

The DesJarlais camp will have to endure more attention on his personal life Monday, when a judge in Chattanooga will take up a motion filed by the state Democratic Party to open all the records in his divorce. Many documents in the large file have been sealed and the party also has questioned if other documents were improperly removed from the official records.

DesJarlais has verified the contents of the transcript in which he offers to travel to Atlanta with a woman to terminate the pregnancy. But he has said that he was only using harsh language to try to get her to admit she wasn't pregnant. He has said there was no pregnancy and no abortion.

At the early voting location on Murfreesboro's courthouse square, several voters said they voted the entire GOP ticket despite heavy rotation of TV ads attacking DesJarlais.

"I voted Republican, just because that's what I always vote," said Brad Jenkins, 45, who works in information technology.

FILE - In this Oct. 28, 2010, file photo, then-gubernatorial candidate Bill Haslam, right, campaigns alongside congressional candidate Scott DesJarlais at rally in Winchester, Tenn. Haslam's office on Oct. 31, 2012, released a text message sent from the congressman, in which DesJarlais thanks Haslam for withholding judgment on revelations he once urged a mistress who had also been under his care as a doctor to seek an abortion. The two Republicans had still not spoken three weeks after the text message. (AP Photo/Erik Schelzig, file)
DesJarlais' call for voters to focus on his time in Congress and his second marriage appeared to resonate with other voters. His positive TV ads have hammered both points.

"From what I understand from his voting record the last couple years, he's done pretty good," said construction worker Keith Sears, 48, after casting his early ballot.

At a campaign event with veterans in Murfreesboro earlier this week, Democratic candidate Eric Stewart rejected his opponent's charge that he has been running a smear campaign. But the House Majority PAC, a national group linked to Democratic congressional leaders, has spent $280,000 on ads hitting the congressman about the abortion chat and the relationship with a patient.

"When the congressman puts 'Dr.' on every one of his signs and all of his ads, I think he brought into play his practice of medicine," said Stewart, a state senator from Winchester. "It certainly it is something the voters are interested in."

Stewart also noted that DesJarlais refused to debate him even before the details of the divorce became a major issue in the race.

Spencer Dixon, 65, a retired therapist who attended the veterans roundtable with Stewart, said he considers himself a Democratic-leaning independent. He said he could not imagine voting for DesJarlais .

"I'd feel like a hypocrite voting for DesJarlais, with his pro-life stance and 'don't do as I do, do as I say' type thing," he said. "It would just be silly for me to vote for him in light of what he's done."

Retired probation officer Carl Berning, 67, said he was most disappointed not to hear the congressman explain himself more directly. He said it's probably too late for DesJarlais to persuade some voters.

"Certainly anybody that believes anything that's been written has a certain amount of mistrust for him now," he said. "I'm a Democrat, but if he was a Democrat I couldn't vote for him."

The state's eight other incumbent members of Congress have had easy campaigns.

Democratic Rep. Steve Cohen of Memphis is predicting a landslide victory despite Republican opponent George Flinn spending more than $850,000 since the primary. The state's other Democratic congressman, Jim Cooper of Nashville, faces Brad Staats, who had spent just $23,500 since joining the race.

Freshman Rep. Diane Black of Gallatin faces no opposition after trouncing Lou Ann Zelenik in the Republican primary. Among the remaining Republicans, Rep. Phil Roe of Johnson City faces Democrat Alan Woodruff of Gray; Rep. Jimmy Duncan faces Troy Goodale, both of Knoxville; Rep. Chuck Fleischmann of Chattanooga is opposed by Mary Headrick of Maynardville; Rep. Marsha Blackburn of Brentwood faces Credo Amouzouvik of Clarksville; and Stephen Fincher of Halls is challenged by Timothy Dixon of Germantown.

Politicians have no fucking problem telling others how to live, but when it comes to their own lives they have no problem going against their views and beliefs so long as they benefit. Cock suckers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sturrminator For This Useful Post:
260RS, kellyhound, Megamel29, Rudebwoy
Old 11-03-2012, 04:58 AM
Poster Rank:1434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss245
Re: Pro Life Republican Congressman Demands Mistress to Get an Abortion

Originally Posted by Sturrminator View Post
Politicians have no fucking problem telling others how to live, but when it comes to their own lives they have no problem going against their views and beliefs so long as they benefit. Cock suckers.
Well, look at the bright side. At least now it's clear where he stands.
Is it a naive thought that after this incident he wont support the pro-life line (doing so would be evidently bullshitting on his part)?

Old 11-03-2012, 10:04 AM
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 401
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1729 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 20/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss60925
Re: Pro Life Republican Congressman Demands Mistress to Get an Abortion

just a perv like many politicians