Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4821 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
12/20 14/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss13000
Prisoners Tell Guards "We Know Where You Live" - Gun Map

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/04...#ixzz2H779tV2i

Law enforcement officials from a New York region where a local paper published a map identifying gun owners say prisoners are using the information to intimidate guards.

Rockland County Sheriff Louis Falco, who spoke at a news conference flanked by other county officials, said the Journal News' decision to post an online map of names and addresses of handgun owners Dec. 23 has put law enforcement officers in danger.

"They have inmates coming up to them and telling them exactly where they live. That's not acceptable to me," Falco said, according to Newsday.

Robert Riley, an officer with the White Plains Police Department and president of its Patrolman’s Benevolent Association, agreed.

"You have guys who work in New York City who live up here. Now their names and addresses are out there, too," he said adding that there are 8,000 active and retired NYPD officers currently living in Rockland County.

Local lawmakers also say that they intend to introduce legislation that prevents information about legal gun owners from being released to the public.

The newspaper published the online map last month alongside an article titled, "The gun owner next door: What you don't know about the weapons in your neighborhood." The map included the names and addresses of pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request.

While the paper ostensibly sought to make a point about gun proliferation in the wake of the school shooting in Newtown, Conn., the effort may have backfired. A blogger reacted with a map showing where key editorial staffers live, and some outraged groups have called for a boycott of parent company Gannett’s national advertisers.

Ironically, the newspaper has now stationed armed guards outside at least one of its offices.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/04...#ixzz2H7CO8ahE

Old 01-05-2013, 01:24 PM
ices
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss3660
Re: Prisoners Tell Guards "We Know Where You Live" - Gun Map

Gotta love stupidity on all sides.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM
GregK
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:313
male

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2473

Opps

Old 01-05-2013, 03:48 PM
RedneckR0nin
Offline:
goinggoingGONE
Poster Rank:14
I am a man yes I am and tell ya so

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 5369 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss44935

Yeah one thing my dad never had listed was where he lived!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Seven Of Nine
Offline:
de-assimilated
Poster Rank:214
Female
Contributions: 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4126

Whoops, yes, that's a foreseeable blunder that someone is likely going to be held accountable for. I would not have wanted to be the man in charge when that light bulb went on.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss51379

That is unbelievable

Old 01-05-2013, 05:36 PM
icheerthebull
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:290
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2802

I would like to have more info on what details were contained in this map. I'm not sure of the laws in the states and as they are a local paper I doubt they have that much money to spend, is it that easy to get hold of this kind of information? I doubt their lives are in any more danger then usual. In theory a inmate already has his/her name. Place of work. With the right questions im sure they could get other info like, the area the grew up or live and their age. From that they could probably find their address through electoral registers, school records or something.

Again we dont really know much about the layout of this map and while it would appear to make the task a tad easy, if someone really wanted to find out where a SO lives they could do so with ease without the map.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Kanda444
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 20139 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss49383

Quote:
Originally Posted by icheerthebull View Post
I would like to have more info on what details were contained in this map. I'm not sure of the laws in the states and as they are a local paper I doubt they have that much money to spend, is it that easy to get hold of this kind of information? I doubt their lives are in any more danger then usual. In theory a inmate already has his/her name. Place of work. With the right questions im sure they could get other info like, the area the grew up or live and their age. From that they could probably find their address through electoral registers, school records or something.

Again we dont really know much about the layout of this map and while it would appear to make the task a tad easy, if someone really wanted to find out where a SO lives they could do so with ease without the map.
it's very easy to get a list like that....that's the point of having people register to be in a program (like owning a gun in some states)...a similar situation happened around here a few years back. the city decided to release the names and addresses of every medical marijuana user and grower in town .... you could look it up online or get a copy from the police station. then, criminals would find the houses people were growing at and break into them. it resulted in numerous break ins and people getting killed while trying to break in to steal weed and property, so they stopped releasing that info to the public. know you have to call a 800 number and enter a person's permit ID number to get confirmation of whether they are in the program or not.

icheerthebull