Today Posts
1/11 ssssss485
Polish Doctors Implant World's Smallest Artificial Cardiac Pacemaker

Click image for larger version

Name:	MTA4MHg0NjMhY3JvcHwweDU4N3gzMDAweDEyODY%2Crozr.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	665133
The world's smallest pacemaker was implanted by Polish doctors from Poznan (central-west Poland) on Thursday.
The device is 24 mm long, 6 mm in diameter, it weighs 1 gram and is 90 percent smaller and lighter than other pacemakers used traditionally, said Przemyslaw Mitkowski from the Cardiology Clinic of the University Hospital of Lord's Transfiguration in Poznan.

"The fundamental difference, apart from the size, is the lack of an electrode which is always the weakest element of electrotherapy systems. It bends 100,000 times a day during a patient's life. It always involves risk: it can break, the insulation may be damaged or an infection may develop", said Mitkowski.

The new device is far more expensive than traditional single-chamber pacemakers. However, in some cases it may be indispensable, stressed Mitkowski. It will be implanted into patients who cannot use traditional devices.

The new pacemaker was implanted into an over 70-year-old Pole from Poznan using local anaesthesia.

On Friday, the doctors plan to implant the new device into another patient – an 80-year-old woman for whom the new pacemaker is the only option.

source: http://www.pap.pl/en/news-/news,4598...pacemaker.html

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lobo221 For This Useful Post:
a175, BryanXavier, facing_reality, kellyhound, Oswald2001
Old 01-22-2016, 03:05 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 412

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 20/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss61159
Re: Polish Doctors Implant World's Smallest Artificial Cardiac Pacemaker

It's tested well so a real outcome for some and way more easy to implant.

Quote:
July 2014
It’s about the size of a large vitamin pill and, for the first time in Ohio, the smallest heart pacemaker available is being tested at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus, Ohio.

Doctors at Ohio State’s Richard M. Ross Heart Hospital recently implanted the tiny device in a Columbus woman as part of a global clinical trial to test its safety and effectiveness. Unlike conventional pacemakers, which require a chest incision and electrical leads that run through a vein to the heart, this device is wireless and is threaded through a catheter, then attached directly to the heart muscle.

“With this investigational device, the battery, the pacing electrodes, everything is in a little piece of metal sitting inside the heart. We believe that will eliminate a lot of risk for infection and complications,” said Dr. John Hummel, a cardiologist and principal investigator of the trial at Ohio State.

If this transcatheter, leadless pacemaker technology works the way doctors hope, they say it could not only benefit patients, but the minimally invasive approach would be more efficient.

“I think this could be a significant development in pacing procedures. This could cut our procedure time by more than half,” said Dr. Ralph Augostini, a cardiologist at Ohio State.

For now, the tiny pacemaker is being tested in people with bradycardia who need single chamber ventricular pacing.

A former librarian, 77-year-old Mary Lou Trejo of Columbus, had been suffering from atrial fibrillation for years. Her heart had slowed, despite medication and other treatments to restore rhythm, so she was eager to be among the first in the United States to participate in this clinical trial.

“The new pacemaker sounded so simple, and I have always thought research is important, so I thought this is a way I could contribute,” Trejo said.

The trial will enroll 780 patients in 50 centers worldwide. Investigators are expected to report initial results later this year, once the first 60 patients have been followed for three months.

The Micra Transcatheter Pacing System (TPS) is made by Medtronic, which is funding the clinical trial. Hummel is a consultant for Medtronic. Augostini serves on a Medtronic advisory board.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:04 PM
a175
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:434

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1534

I'm assuming this is it here as well:
http://www.sjm.com/leadlesspacing/in...eadless-pacing

I don't have a device that can use flash, but there is a video available on the linked site above.

This is pretty cool if it works out.

Something went wrong, try refreshing the page...

Picture and Video Clip Stats.
File Type: pdf 4811_Nanostim_Patient_Brochure_Print_Final_Single_pages.pdf(856.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: mp4 nanostim-patient-final10112013.mp4(4.29 MB, 28 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to a175 For This Useful Post:
kellyhound
Old 01-22-2016, 07:42 PM
a175
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:434

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1534

Thanks, kellyhound!

Old 01-23-2016, 01:42 AM
facing_reality
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1028

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss406

Quote:
From the AP Wire:

"A recent story that made news worldwide regarding a pacemaker the size of vitamin pill has come to a tragic end. Recently, doctors from Poznan attempted to implant the pace-maker into an 80 year female patient. Unfortunately, due to its size and appearance, they inserted the device into the patient's rectum, apparently convinced it would help 'make' her 'pace' more 'regular.' The problem seems to have occurred because they were Polish."

Yep, it's a "Pollock Joke!" Sorry, lobo221. I just couldn't resist.

I'm just kidding around though. You know I got nothin'-but-love for you & the Polish people!

The Following User Says Thank You to facing_reality For This Useful Post:
lobo221
Old 01-24-2016, 10:50 PM
Spiffyfable
Offline:
★ PSYCHOPOMP ★
Poster Rank:86
Man

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss11935

I don't know what to think...

I like the idea of improving medical science and all but...

I manage a crematory and pacemakers HAVE to be REMOVED before the cremation else they can explode and damage in fragile interior of the retort. The pacemakers that I'm familiar with can be easily removed with a scalpel and wire cutters. If that tiny device is planted right into the heart... well that would make Detecting and Removing it rather troublesome

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiffyfable For This Useful Post:
facing_reality, Oswald2001
Old 01-31-2016, 12:08 PM
facing_reality
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1028

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffyfable View Post
I don't know what to think...

I like the idea of improving medical science and all but...

I manage a crematory and pacemakers HAVE to be REMOVED before the cremation else they can explode and damage in fragile interior of the retort. The pacemakers that I'm familiar with can be easily removed with a scalpel and wire cutters. If that tiny device is planted right into the heart... well that would make Detecting and Removing it rather troublesome
Maybe this one will be small enough it will explode within the body tissue before being able to damage the ceramics???

Old 01-31-2016, 01:35 PM
Oswald2001
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:99

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2759 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 15/20
Today Posts
6/11 ssss10527

I would like to have one of these newly developed Cadillac pacemakers installed as an upgrade.

She's a classic beauty!

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
1%20a%20a%20A%20A%20A%20A%20%20Cadillac%2001.JPG  

The Following User Says Thank You to Oswald2001 For This Useful Post:
facing_reality