Contributions: 401

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 20/20
Today Posts
8/11 ssss61129
Re: Police Unable to Tell a Rapist Apart from His Twin Brother

charging a mill to do an extended dna test is a crime.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Johnny Wadd
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:380
Male

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamel29 View Post
I remember a case in the U.S. had a similar problem with twin brothers. One was in prison or on trial for homicide and both brothers blamed the other. I'll try to find an article about it and post it.
I remember that case,can't think of their identity's though

diamondsmiles, Megamel29
Old 02-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Johnny Wadd
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:380
Male

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1903

Neither will be banged up unless the advanced DNA test points the finger at 1 specific twin.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:31 PM
petedeamon
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:377
yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1919

Castrate them both....end of problem,,,,sigh

The Following User Says Thank You to petedeamon For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamel29 View Post
I remember a case in the U.S. had a similar problem with twin brothers. One was in prison or on trial for homicide and both brothers blamed the other. I'll try to find an article about it and post it.

If it is the one I think it is, they were two young black men. I believe there was a sexual assault involved.

One had a lisp; the other didn't. Case solved! I believe only one had a tattoo, as well.

I thought identical twins did not have the same fingerprints, only the same DNA.

Found it! Don't know if this is the one you were thinking of, Meg.

**Discrepancy With DNA Evidence**
By Divya Prakash

Published: Thursday, March 25, 2010

Updated: Wednesday, January 9, 2013

David Deakin, assistant district attorney for Suffolk County, Kristi Holden, a sexual assault nurse examiner, and Fred Rothenberg, NBC's Dateline producer, spoke about the limitations of DNA evidence at Robsham Theater Wednesday night.

In the spring of 2006, the case of Massachusetts vs. Darrin Fernandez was reviewed in Boston. The victim, "Kate," had been raped in her Dorchester home.

DNA evidence could have proven Darrin Fernandez' guilt in the case, but instead of being conclusive, it confused the jury even more, as Fernandez has an identical twin, Damien, who shares his DNA sequence. Either Darrin or Damien could be the rapist, but which brother was it? The dilemma pitted brother against brother, and Rothenberg was given the job of making the story into a Dateline episode.

The episode, termed "Blood Brothers," was shown at the event.

"If this story were just two rapes in Dorchester, then it wouldn't be a Dateline story," Rothenberg said. "What makes a good story is mystery, intrigue, or infidelity."

That identical twins were both suspects in the case was intriguing, Rothenberg said. Even more fascinating to him was the betrayal factor. Darrin Fernandez' lawyer worked to plant doubt in the minds of the jurors, which he did by portraying how his brother, Damien, could also have been responsible for Kate's rape.

"The brothers were the only two that knew with certainty who was telling the truth, who did it, and the jury was going to have to figure it out," Rothenberg said.

Darrin Fernandez had been tried twice before for this particular case, but each trial ended in a, "hung jury," or a mistrial. The 2006 re-trial and DNA evidence proved to be the end of the dilemma. Police were able to use alternate investigation methods, and a jury sentenced Darrin to 25-35 years in prison for the rapes.

Fernandez was already serving a 10 to 15-year sentence for the rape of Jennifer Hogrell, but the evidence presented in that case was withheld during the original trials of Kate's rape. Kate suffered through two mistrials before Deakin was assigned to her case. Deakin took a risk and called Hogrell to testify in Kate's case.

Usually, DNA evidence is considered conclusive in the courtroom. "In the normal case it's game over if a rapist's DNA is matched," Deakin said. DNA could not be used to identify the guilty party in this case, though, which is why the testimony of the two victims, Kate and Hogrell, was key evidence.

In the end, Darrin Fernandez was convicted based on traditional evidence. Both women remember their attacker speaking clearly, and Darrin's twin had a lisp. Kate remembers a shorthaired rapist, and Darrin's twin had an afro at the time of her rape. Jennifer remembers an armband tattoo on her rapist, and Darrin's twin has no tattoo on his arm, while Darrin had a tribal pattern on his left bicep.

Holden's role in the case was to perform a, "rape kit," or a series of tests to collect evidence from the victim, whose body, Holden says, "is an important part of the crime scene."

Holden, who has been a nurse for over 20 years, said that until the time of the trial, she did not know that identical twins had matching DNA.

Kaitlin Vigars, BC '08, organized this event through the Forensics Nursing Department. Vigars said she thinks that popular crime shows, like CSI, have misled people. DNA evidence is, "really not the end-all-be-all," of a case, and DNA evidence will not erase older forms of detective work, she said. "DNA isn't always the ultimate source, and it doesn't hold all the answers."

*This is why I only watch the real crime shows, except for SVU. For some reason, that holds my interest.*

Old 02-13-2013, 12:33 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21520

I found this while searching for the other case:

Man Pretends to Be His Identical Twin Brother Then Rapes His Girlfriend

Are you a twin and secretly fantasized about sleeping with your twin brother's girlfriend?

Um, well, a Connecticut man did just that and now he's facing rape charges.

According to police, 25-year-old Jared Rohrig, pictured, posed as Joe Rohrig, his identical twin brother, to engage in a sexual encounter with his brother's girlfriend on July 19.

The woman has been dating Joe since March, and on July 19, she spoke on the phone with someone she believed was him and agreed to meet at his house, according to a search warrant.

When she arrived, she got into the hot tub with the Jared -- whom she believed was Joe -- began kissing him and agreed to go to an upstairs bedroom with him.

But as they were having sex she noticed something missing: the cowboy tattoo on Joe's left ass cheek was not there.

The woman, "immediately began to cry and asked him where his tattoo went. The male replied that he had never had a tattoo and told her that she must have hooked up with his brother who had a tattoo. She realized at this point that this was not the person that she had previously had sexual relations with," said the warrant.

She told police that she got out of bed and tried to leave, but the Jared, "grabbed her arms and threw her on the bed, where she continued to cry," and he continued to rape her, the warrant states.

Jared eventually drove the woman home, but could not find the way, even though Joe had previously visited there several times, she told police.

He told her Joe who had a steady girlfriend, did not want to meet her that day, but, "he told me to go for it."

She told police she later received a text message from Joe's cell phone, the same one Jared had allegedly used to speak with her earlier, and the message read, "I want to apologize for what my brother did last night. I had no idea what was going on until this morning."

Jared surrendered to police Friday and posted $50,000 bond. He is to be arraigned on charges of first-degree sexual assault and criminal impersonation Sept. 8.

Oops, did we forget to mention? Jared is a police officer!

He has been on paid administrative leave from the force since July 23, pending the outcome of an internal investigation.

*He looks like a prick!*

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Megamel29
Old 02-13-2013, 12:51 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21520

Quote:
Originally Posted by icheerthebull View Post
Ok then I will look into setting up a FB page or something. If anyone knows how to set up a donation type page thing please send me a pm, I am clueless in this regards. I cant help but wonder how much the french state put up for the IMF rapists defence
You can link a paypal account to the page.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21520

Quote:
Originally Posted by icheerthebull View Post
you would think the guilty one would own up to spare his brother the jail time

Criminals, apprarently, don't watch the real crime shows.

They also think they are smarter than everyone else!

Old 02-13-2013, 12:58 AM
mengala
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:382

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1893