Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12873
Re: Police Officer Shoots Puppy After ‘Fearing For His Safety’

Quote:
Originally Posted by souris View Post
I'm always on the side of the professional who is in the front lines in keeping me safe. If he says he felt threatened then that's good enough for me. I won't judge his actions.
U won't say that after they shoot your poodle

Old 05-15-2014, 11:01 PM
peema
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1485

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkest Angel View Post
U won't say that after they shoot your poodle
If I ever get a poodle, somebody please shoot ME!

The Following User Says Thank You to peema For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001
Old 05-16-2014, 02:37 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

That's scary because my dogs are scaredy-cats but Gretel will bark at strangers. And sometimes they will put their front paws on someone to get attention. They are small dogs but someone could see that as aggressive behavior. Not that I anticipate my dogs encountering police. But I guess in this case they didn't anticipate that either because the police were looking for someone else. Does this cop just go through yards shooting what gets in the way?

The Following User Says Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
winvens
Old 05-16-2014, 03:13 PM
commondenom
Offline:
puelling pueman
Poster Rank:128
m

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2539 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
8/20 13/20
Today Posts
4/11 sssss8001

fucking pigs....i fucking hate them

Old 05-16-2014, 03:20 PM
CrunchyCripple
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:363
Female

Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 7/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamel29 View Post
Does this cop just go through yards shooting what gets in the way?
They all go through yards and many of them will shoot a dog that is in their way. On more than one occasion, they've shot a dog that was on a chain and couldn't get to them, nor was it blocking their path.

Many people are afraid of dogs. Cops are not excluded from that. Many cops are scared of dogs and have an instant solution to that problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to CrunchyCripple For This Useful Post:
winvens
Old 05-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Nasty Nuggets
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1030

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 9/20
Today Posts
2/11 ssssss406

i witnessed someone stealing my neighbors fridge in their garage( didnt realize they were stealing it) and the cops wanted to talk to me for info. my 4 month old pit was sitting on the porch next to me when the cop showed up and this asshole put his hand on his gun and yelled at me to get the dog inside. I put my dog inside then told the cop to go fuck himself and went inside. asshole wants info then acts like hes gonna shoot my dog.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nasty Nuggets For This Useful Post:
bdjackass318, CrunchyCripple, dragonhalf13570, Megamel29, winvens, Zambini
Old 05-17-2014, 03:00 AM
30564U
Offline:
Poster Rank:298
Comrade

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

I love dogs, but I did shoot one once. It was a large and angry pit bull mixed with what I think was a rabid lion (these breeds are referred to in police circles as "ghetto elk"). The situation really had nothing to do with anything job related...I was just standing on the sidewalk and talking with an elderly resident about nothing important, just chatting. All of a sudden, this dog from Hell came out of nowhere and at first attacked the elderly resident, and before I could really recognize what was happening, he turned and attacked me too. He bit my leg and my left arm pretty good. I drew my pistol and blasted him in the face...problem solved. The dog yipped once and keeled over dead. I felt really bad afterwords, but what can you do...if I hadn't had a gun that dog could have killed me or the elderly resident (or for that matter anyone else). The dog of course had no tags and was running loose...and was apparently perpetually pissed off. Sometimes shooting is the only viable option. When ever we conducted a raid at a home we always had one guy with a fire extinguisher. The fire extinguisher is really effective. The dog, for what ever reason, will not go through the fog and the noise scares the crap out of them (many actually do crap themselves). It's way better than pepper spray and the dogs recover way faster.

It's difficult and a bad habit to judge the guy who made the decision to shot the dog. It's a bad habit to get into...second guessing when you're not there. I bet not many folks on this forum have ever had to make a real life or death decision. I'm sure this copper made a mistake, but he's human and that's what humans do. You just hope that he learned from it and it won't happen again.

The Following User Says Thank You to 30564U For This Useful Post:
Sybil
Old 05-17-2014, 03:19 AM
30564U
Offline:
Comrade

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

By the way, you can Taze a dog. It's kinda funny because they usually fall over and then move their legs like they're running and that makes them spin sideways in a circle. They recover far faster than humans and seem to be none the worst for wear. I think the Taser is a lot better and more humane than pepper spray.

You always hear these stories that cops are mad killers and be they dogs or humans, all the cops do is shoot first and ask questions later. In my 30+ years as a cop, I never once saw a cop shoot either a dog or human without quite a bit of provocation. In fact, I think a lot of officers are far too slow to react to a potentially dangerous situation and use great restraint to avoid using force. Of course they are always those cops that are idiots, but they are so rare in the business and they're found out a gotten rid of fairly quickly. To make blanket statements and condem the whole profession based on one guy's or ageny's fuck up is a little foolish and belies a predisposition toward the rule of law. If this guy did shoot the dog in error then that department's internal affairs unit or the civil court system will get to the bottom of the issue either through internal discipline or monetary damages. By the way...don't believe shit from any newspaper or journalist, you could write a book on what they leave out of a story.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:52 AM
CrunchyCripple
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:363
Female

Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 7/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2028

Electricity causes heart damage - even the electric collars(shock) and invisible fences are ill advised because repeatedly using them is bad for the dog's heart. Better than a bullet, though.

How fast does the dog recover? Is it quick enough to be a danger to the people involved?

The Following User Says Thank You to CrunchyCripple For This Useful Post:
30564U
Old 05-17-2014, 01:51 PM
30564U
Offline:
Comrade

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyCripple View Post
Electricity causes heart damage - even the electric collars(shock) and invisible fences are ill advised because repeatedly using them is bad for the dog's heart. Better than a bullet, though.

How fast does the dog recover? Is it quick enough to be a danger to the people involved?
No they just lay there for a minute or so, then get up kinda shaky and do the water off the dog dance. They don't recover as angry after the zap for some reason. They look a little confused and usually they leave and hide...often with the darts and wires attached...which can be problematic. Overall it's way better than shooting them.

The Following User Says Thank You to 30564U For This Useful Post:
CrunchyCripple