Mentioned: 628 Post(s)
Quoted: 33972 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sss115708
Police Kill Armed 8th Grader at Brownsville Middle School

Quote:
BROWNSVILLE — Police shot and killed an armed teenage student in his Texas school hallway on Wednesday.

Brownsville police Detective J.J. Trevino said police received a call at about 8 a.m. that someone had a weapon at Cummings Middle School. Police found the 15-year-old with a handgun in a hallway and shot him, Trevino said.

Cameron County Justice of the Peace Kip V. Johnson Hodge told The Brownsville Herald newspaper the student died.

Trevino said the school was immediately placed on lockdown, and no one else was injured.

A school administrator apparently noticed the student carrying the gun and called police, Trevino said. He said investigators hadn't determined whether the student fired any shots. He said he had no information on why the student had the gun on him.

"It's still under investigation, as far as how he came about to bringing the weapon or if he encountered anybody or anything else," Trevino said.

A school district spokeswoman didn't immediately respond to phone messages, and calls to the school rang unanswered.
ORIGINAL ARTICLE

Quote:
Parents of an eighth grade student shot and killed by police after he displayed a pellet gun in school called the shooting an injustice as the acting police chief confirmed Thursday that officers have received death threats.

Jaime Gonzales, 15, died Wednesday at his middle school in Brownsville, Texas, after two officers fired three shots, striking Gonzalez at least twice, after he failed to comply with "numerous commands" to drop the weapon, said Interim Police Chief Orlando Rodriguez.

He said that before police were called to the school, Gonzalez walked into a classroom and punched another boy in the nose.

The boy's father, Jaime Gonzalez Sr., called the shooting unjustified and said he had no idea where his son got the pellet gun.

"Why was so much excess force used on a minor?" he asked outside the family home, the Associated Press reported. "Three shots. Why not one that would bring him down?"

The boy's mother, Noralva Gonzalez, showed a photo on her phone of a beaming Jaime in his drum major uniform standing with his band instructors, the AP reported. Then she flipped through three close-up photos she took of bullet wounds in her son's body, including one in the back of his head.

"What happened was an injustice," she said angrily. "I know that my son wasn't perfect, but he was a great kid."

Rodriguez said his officers "took the necessary action to protect themselves and the other kids."

He confirmed to The Brownsville Herald that police officers have received death threats following the shooting death.

The telephone calls were made overnight to the police department's dispatch center, authorities said.

Rodriguez said he was debriefed of the situation Thursday morning and that all supervisors and officers have been informed of the calls and advised to remain cautious.

He said the weapon was a .177-caliber pellet gun, which uses compressed carbon dioxide to fire a small metal pellet at low velocity. Police released a photo of what they said was Gonzalez's gun, which resembled a semiautomatic handgun.

School administrators called police and ordered a lockdown after the student "displayed a weapon" in the main hallway, Brown said.
Student Robert Valle, 13, reported hearing police enter the hallway and shout, "Put the gun down."

"I was nervous," Jade Rodriguez, 11, said. "I was under the desk."
A recording of police radio traffic posted on KGBT-TV's website indicates that officers responding to the school believed the teen had a handgun. An officer is heard describing the teen's clothes and appearance, saying he's "holding a handgun, black in color." The officer also said that from the front door, he could see the boy in the school's main office.

Less than two minutes later, someone yells over the radio "shots fired" and emergency crews are asked to respond. About two minutes later, someone asks where the boy was shot, prompting responses that he was shot in the chest and "from the back of the head."

Administrators said the school would be closed Thursday but students would be able to attend classes at a new elementary school that isn't being used.

Superintendent Carl Montoya remembered Gonzalez as "a very positive young man."

"He did music. He worked well with everybody. Just something unfortunately happened today that caused his behavior to go the way it went. So I don't know," he said Wednesday.

Two dozen of his son's friends and classmates gathered in the dark street outside the family's home Wednesday night. Jaime's best friend, 16-year-old Star Rodriguez, said her favorite memory was when Jaime came to her party Dec. 29 and they danced and sang together.

"He was like a brother to me," she said.

Student homicides at school are fairly rare. Federal statistics show school killings account for fewer than 2% of youth homicides; young people are about 50 times more likely to die violently off school grounds than on them.

Dewey Cornell, a psychologist and education professor at the University of Virginia, said that in most school shooting cases, someone knew beforehand about an armed student's distress.

"The first question that people have to ask is whether this boy felt bullied or mistreated in the school in some way," Cornell said.

"Initially people always express dismay. Invariably when you find out enough about the young man, it does become explicable."

U.S. Education Department data show that in the 2008-09 school year, the most recent for which records are available, 15 students were school homicide victims. In 1992-93, the figure was 34.
Contributing: Greg Toppo in McLean, Va.; the Associated Press
ORIGINAL ARTICLE

Old 01-05-2012, 07:25 PM
rabenson
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:649
Male
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss853
Re: Police Kill Armed 8th Grader at Brownsville Middle School

It was confirmed the kid had a pellet gun.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Amy
Offline:
Mother Superior
Poster Rank:1
Keeper of the Cocks
Contributions: 8

Activity Longevity
4/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sss115708

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabenson View Post
It was confirmed the kid had a pellet gun.
Yeah looking for updated article.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 AM
PauloPeter
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:905

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss506

that was the first thing that came to mind when reading this- the gun isnt real.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:14 AM
PauloPeter
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:905

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss506

you'd think they wouldnt shoot the kid in the face, but more like in the knees to make him drop the gun, but idk.

The Following User Says Thank You to PauloPeter For This Useful Post:
Morrigan
Old 01-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Amy
Offline:
Mother Superior
Poster Rank:1
Keeper of the Cocks
Contributions: 8

Activity Longevity
4/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sss115708

My first reaction was: "As trained policemen surely they were trained to shoot to disable instead of shoot to kill" I feel what they did was more of a fear reaction and done from not being prepared for this situation. The kid was in the wrong, I just wish the police would have handled it better.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Rfneimad
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1835

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss171

Don't cry over a kid stupid enough to point something that real looking at armed police in this day and age. Fuck him for putting those cops in that position, they went in there prepared to die for the other children. They have all those other school shootings in the back of their minds plus knowing everyone in the country is going to second guess them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rfneimad For This Useful Post:
BrownRock, TwistedPrincess
Old 01-06-2012, 02:18 PM
BrownRock
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:939

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss473

It ain't a movie folks. Cops don't shoot in the arms or knees, or shoot guns out of peoples hands. Have you guys seen that pellet gun the kid had? It looks very real.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:02 PM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:123

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

We don't shoot to disable in Texas

Old 01-06-2012, 06:00 PM
TwistedPrincess
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:583

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1008

the cops told him to put the gun down. was he deaf? did he not speak english? did he think they were just joking? bet he won't do that again, stupid kid. hard way to learn that you are never too young to die and that you are not invincible.