Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss5486
Police Dog Fired In Mississippi For Having Too Much Fun On The Job

Quote:
Fred is a classic example of good talent gone to waste.

The Gulfport, Mississippi Police Department dog had the talent for sniffing out contraband, but he was lazy and too easily distracted, authorities told the Biloxi-Gulfport Sun Herald.

The department had to let Fred go back to his previous owners at K-9 unlimited in Louisiana.

While on duty, Fred could be found playing with a soda can instead of doing the police work he was trained to do.

But, while Fred's tenure ended ignominiously, it could have been worse.

Three years ago, the Braidwood Police Department in Illinois had to retire Atom, after the cop K-9 attacked a suspect who was already in custody.

The Chicago Sun-Times reports that Atom also assaulted a police officer.
Article:
Police dog fired for brutality
Quote:
GULFPORT -- As police K-9s go, Fred's a dud.The Gulfport Police Department is sending the Belgian Malinois back from whence he came, U.S. K-9 Unlimited in Kaplan, La., Chief Leonard Papania said.Fred was given the chance to turn things around, Papania said. It just wasn't happening.He said the city paid $12,000 to $13,000 for Fred two years ago. That included his training at K-9 Unlimited, considered an excellent school for turning out top dogs."We'll get some of our money back for the dog when we bring him back to the facility," Papania said. "I can't speak specifically about what will happen with Fred. I can tell you nothing terrible will happen to Fred."Fred can sniff out drugs. He can patrol. But he gets ... distracted. In searching a building, he might spy a soda can on the floor and start playing with it.The Police Department has tried to train this out of him. He's been back to school. It just wasn't working. Tuesday afternoon, the City Council unanimously approved a resolution that declared Fred to be surplus property. Council action allows the Police Department to sell Fred back to K-9 Unlimited, whose owner has not returned a telephone call from the Sun Herald. Fred will be missed."Your K-9 handlers do have a bond with these animals," Papania said. "They spend a lot of time with them. These animals are kept in their homes. You do have that working bond. But they also are aware of the ultimate responsibility we have with these animals."
http://www.sunherald.com/2014/02/04/...-get-pink.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	eknwv_AuSt_77.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	513764
Fred, the allegedly lazy ass canine fired for slacking off work to play with trash when he was supposed to be looking for drugs

Apparently there's an happy end, but also an explanation that makes much sense in my humble opinion.

A new job for fired Fred the police dog
Former Gulfport PD K-9 could end up at Harrison County

Quote:
Fred the police dog, who was fired from Gulfport Police Department earlier this week, will soon be gainfully employed with the Harrison County Sheriff’s Department.

The three-year-old black Belgian Malinois got his pink slip earlier this week from the city of Gulfport after police decided he was too easily distracted. The decision was made to trade him back to the school that trained him for a different dog.
Now, word is that he soon be employed with the Harrison County Sheriff's Office. Maj. Tony Sauro said he’s spoken with US K-9 Unlimited owner about bringing Fred to his agency, and that he’s got no qualms about it.

“Think about what Fred’s done to get here. Somebody overseas did some basic obedience with him, then US K-9 evaluated him, then he cleared customs, he flew over here, he was cleared by the vets, he did all his training, and he’s got two years on the road,” Sauro said. “As far as we’re concerned, Fred’s got a lot of experience.”
Abshire said Fred will have a great career as a police dog. He said Fred was hand-picked in Europe, and just like any of his dogs, he was trained thoroughly and carefully.
“The dog just simply wants to work, the more he works the happier he is. When I purchase these dogs, I fly to Europe and look at hundreds of dogs to get the right prospects,” Abshire said. “It takes a special dog. Fred is a very special dog, and there’s really nothing going on that can’t be resolved for this dog to continue doing his job as a police dog.”
The reason Fred’s performance seemed to have gone down, Abshire said, wasn’t because he was badly trained. Fred’s first handler went on medical leave and he was given to a second handler.
“It was frustration. I went to the department and worked with the second handler and fixed the problem, and then it happened again,” he said. “The new handler didn’t quite have the experience to resolve the issue.”
Sauro said in his 28 years of K-9 experience, he finds this not to be an unusual problem. He said dogs are ordered to suit their handlers. Inexperienced handlers usually don’t deal with the same dogs veteran handlers will. The change of partners definitely caused a personality conflict of some kind that threw Fred off his game, Sauro said.
I don't know what really happened as i wasn't there, but.. i side with the dog.

You're unable to handle the dog? Blame the dog, then. It won't sue you, he won't say a word in self defence. A little bit too easy, isn't it?
This dog needs the right handler, that's all there is to it. Humans never fail to prove themselves to be ignorant, unintelligent and selfish: these people thought that a well-trained dog must obey to your orders regardless who you are, or that they must behave like RC toys.
It's much better to leave the dog at home rather than putting it in the wrong hands, (which obviously is what happened): an officer of Guardia di Finanza once told me (about the most experienced dog that they had here, now retired): "look, he exposed 1,200+ people carring hascisc, marijuana, heroin, cocaine and other shit and often this happened not only because of its sniffing powers. Dogs can do things that we will never be able to. BUT if the dog is not confindent with its handler, then he'll behave like a bag of concrete."

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
g.jpg  

DEC_2543_2.jpg  

Attached Images

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
BBKF, Darkest Angel, icheerthebull, K9Grip, Kelseecat65, Photoplay, Pigeon, winvens, Xfactor
Old 02-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Xfactor
Offline:
Avoiding Limelight
Poster Rank:98
Male
Contributions: 4

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss10961
Re: Police Dog Fired In Mississippi For Having Too Much Fun On The Job

Quote:
lazy ass canine fired for slacking off work to play with trash when he was supposed to be looking for drugs

What do you mean fired? You're not even playing him. Frankly I don't think he cares.

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
eknwv_AuSt_77.jpg  

gatagato, icheerthebull, Mr-Tape
Old 02-09-2014, 04:43 AM
DannyDrama
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:354
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2093

It stuns me how badly trained some police dogs are, at least in the UK.:face palm

Doesn't sound like things are any different there.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Xfactor
Offline:
Avoiding Limelight
Poster Rank:98
Male
Contributions: 4

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss10961

I don't think its badly trained but badly selected. When a dog has pups and you want a guard dog you don't want the one that brings you a rock. You want the one that's a little isolated.

This is advice received from a trainer. I pick the one that brought me the rock.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Shakey
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:18
MAN

Mentioned: 446 Post(s)
Quoted: 21468 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 14/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss37764

Cop that handled him was probably a real dolt.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Rfneimad
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1836

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss171

Dogs are held to higher standards than human officers?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388

This makes perfect sense: a dog trained in Louisiana being getting for laziness and loafing on the clock.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388

Goddammit: "getting fired for laziness."

Motherfucker.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:54 PM
dean mclean
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:350
male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2115

I saw a police dog pull over a whole car of black labs for nothing yesterday, ridiculous. This corruption knows no bounds.