Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567
Re: Pitt Bull, Rottweiler Ban in Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVrist View Post
Absolutely. All domesticated animals are trainable beyond instinctual actions.

We virtually train out all of the horses instinct to make them safe for us.
Do you feel that a dog that has been aggressive towards other dogs or prey animals could pose a potential threat towards a child?

Old 12-20-2014, 11:42 PM
Mr Poo
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:122

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4489 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8173

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
Do you feel that a dog that has been aggressive towards other dogs or prey animals could pose a potential threat towards a child?
It could be possible if the dog was never socialized toward children, his aggressive behavior toward prey animal was left by the owner without correction and a child wandered into it's path. But that would go for ANY breed of dog with those characteristics. Even with all those ingredients in the pot, it doesn't mean a dog will automatically see a child as prey.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Poo For This Useful Post:
rob666, TheVrist
Old 12-21-2014, 12:02 AM
TheVrist
Offline:
😉
Poster Rank:88
dude
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4573 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss11707

Quote:
Poo said it. Pretty much the instinct to learn to hunt goes ignored, and in most cases we encourage it when the dogs are pups (just playing with the pups with animal like toys teaches them) and later lack of socializing with children, all could mean disaster.

Dogs are very responsive to body language, as well as verbal. A child displays totally foreign body language than what we do as an adult. So a poorly socialized dog will not understand it. In most cases dogs aggression are the result of fear, confusion, etc.

Mr Poo, rob666, winvens
Old 12-21-2014, 12:08 AM
TheVrist
Offline:
😉
Poster Rank:88
dude

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4573 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss11707

oops

Old 12-21-2014, 12:23 AM
cortdb
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:493
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1290

heres the number for the police down there. Call them (318)985-2126 and tell officer Lemoine and his wife or relative the alderman Lemoine how you feel about confiscating peoples property (the federal govt considers an animal as property) without a warrant or proper search and seizure laws in place. This here is bullshit

The Following User Says Thank You to cortdb For This Useful Post:
Mr Poo
Old 12-21-2014, 09:32 AM
knuggy
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:425
M

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 12/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1625

(almost)everyone in that LA backwater appears to have the same last name...no surprise

Old 12-21-2014, 10:01 PM
CrunchyCripple
Offline:
Poster Rank:364
Female

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 7/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2030

Quote:

Your dog has killed 7 cats. This would indicate a high prey drive.

Based on some of your previous comments you don't seem to think that this is something that can be stopped, because it is out of instinct.

The part I'm not understanding is how a dog cannot be socialized towards cats but can towards human children? If it is part of the same instinct ( prey drive ). I would also have to question what could potentially happen if a child jumped your fence into your yard
What could potentially happen to a kid if they jumped into ANYONE'S yard who has a dog?

Do you not understand that all dogs are generally territorial? Most dogs will attack and bite someone who jumps over a fence.

My dog has been socialized with people and she alert barks when someone comes around. She does not get aggressive, nor try to bite them. I will never trust her around cats. I know I could get her to be calm around a calm cat, but I would never fully trust her around one. She doesn't react to a howling cat in a carrier while at the vets.

I suppose I could put in the time and effort, but I will never have any cats, my yard has been cat-proofed. So I'm not going to waste my time. She minds on the leash and is never in an open area, unleashed.

If someone comes sailing over the locked, spiked metal fence(most likely not), they may get bitten - it's probably pretty likely, since that's a very abnormal thing for someone to do - something none of my dogs have ever seen happen. This would frighten them and they would react as most dogs would - get defensive over their territory.
I made sure my yard didn't allow for someone to jump the fence, nor accidentally walk in the gate(happens to people all the time). I've got 3 dogs over 55lbs. If they bite someone, that's an insurance mess. It's something to responsibly keep in mind. Even though non of them have ever attempted to bite a human being, of any size/age.

Part of that is me not allowing them out alone in an area where people can come into contact with them - such as the front yard. All other places are secured with high chain link fencing and locked gates. The dogs would be going off if someone was attempting to climb the fence, there's no way they would jump over, into the yard and no way they could do it without the whole neighborhood coming out to see what was going on. Not a problem.

My personal dogs do not see babies and small children as prey animals such as squirrels and cats. I know this for a fact. They also came from homes where they were exposed to children from birth. They are well mannered in public and around other dogs(such as at the vet office) and don't flip out when there's a cat in a carrier nearby. At home, if there's one - it's trespassing. That means a lot to dogs.

Dogs have the ability to tell the difference, but if are never taught, may see humans and prey animals the same.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:37 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyCripple View Post
What could potentially happen to a kid if they jumped into ANYONE'S yard who has a dog?

Do you not understand that all dogs are generally territorial? Most dogs will attack and bite someone who jumps over a fence.

My dog has been socialized with people and she alert barks when someone comes around. She does not get aggressive, nor try to bite them. I will never trust her around cats. I know I could get her to be calm around a calm cat, but I would never fully trust her around one. She doesn't react to a howling cat in a carrier while at the vets.

I suppose I could put in the time and effort, but I will never have any cats, my yard has been cat-proofed. So I'm not going to waste my time. She minds on the leash and is never in an open area, unleashed.

If someone comes sailing over the locked, spiked metal fence(most likely not), they may get bitten - it's probably pretty likely, since that's a very abnormal thing for someone to do - something none of my dogs have ever seen happen. This would frighten them and they would react as most dogs would - get defensive over their territory.
I made sure my yard didn't allow for someone to jump the fence, nor accidentally walk in the gate(happens to people all the time). I've got 3 dogs over 55lbs. If they bite someone, that's an insurance mess. It's something to responsibly keep in mind. Even though non of them have ever attempted to bite a human being, of any size/age.

Part of that is me not allowing them out alone in an area where people can come into contact with them - such as the front yard. All other places are secured with high chain link fencing and locked gates. The dogs would be going off if someone was attempting to climb the fence, there's no way they would jump over, into the yard and no way they could do it without the whole neighborhood coming out to see what was going on. Not a problem.

My personal dogs do not see babies and small children as prey animals such as squirrels and cats. I know this for a fact. They also came from homes where they were exposed to children from birth. They are well mannered in public and around other dogs(such as at the vet office) and don't flip out when there's a cat in a carrier nearby. At home, if there's one - it's trespassing. That means a lot to dogs.

Dogs have the ability to tell the difference, but if are never taught, may see humans and prey animals the same.
Your dog has killed 7 cats. That's 7 different, separate times.......

In the other threads you said your dog will kill any cat it gets the chance to, regardless of where it is. Your words.

We have other breeders saying that ANY behaviour can be overcome through training, and yet your dog has managed to kill 7 cats. And this is what you're admitting to

After doing a bit if research, I found out that pit bulls account for 60 percent of fatal dog bites in the US over the last 10 years...... Even though they make up around 6 percent of the dog population.

You said that you can't train animal aggression out of an animal with high prey drive, and that you can't trust an animal with high prey drive around a prey animal. And somehow even though a human child fits the category of prey animal, your dog recognizes the difference?
So........ This is purely territorial aggression? And this isn't trainable either?

I dunno. What you're saying regarding training contradicts what others are saying.

The Following User Says Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
winvens
Old 12-21-2014, 10:54 PM
CrunchyCripple
Offline:
Poster Rank:364
Female

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 7/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2030

I lived in a 3/4 of an acre sized yard. Cats liked to get in and try to hide in the bushes. My dog was used to go after rats and moles - which are a problem. You are aware that stray/feral cats are also a problem? No different than an infestation of rats or mice? They carry diseases and such. Just because people keep them as pets, doesn't mean they are any less of a problem, or have any more worth.

They were always chased out of the yard by people and dogs. The dogs were never taught that cats in the yard are friendly.

She is a vermin hunter and was used as such
*Never sic'd on a cat, or instructed to go after one.
Although she really started going after them after one ate my first duck - which was a friend of hers. I found that interesting.

She's lived/lives with ducks, multiple chickens and chicks on multiple occasions, puppies, kids, lizards, snakes, parakeets ect. ect. No problems. My animals are fine - it's the trespassing ones that she has a problem with.

I've managed to keep her from "snapping(not a real thing)" for 9 years now. Not because "Oh, nothing's happened yet - I must be lucky!!"

It's because I've studied and paid attention to my dog and many other dogs, so that I know what I'm doing.

As for statistics -

My uncle is black - yet has never, ever committed a crime. He went to college and has a successful job. But, according to statistics, I should sleep with a knife under my pillow - you know, cuz statistics.

The Following Users Disliked This Post By CrunchyCripple:
invertigo