Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 8124 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss17006
Pilot's Artificial Arm Detaches While Landing

The land of deadly dildoes and pedophiles brings another danger to the worlds stage:

LONDON (AP) — A British air accident report has recounted how a pilot briefly lost control of a passenger plane after his artificial arm became detached from the control yoke during landing.

The report, published Thursday, said the incident took place as the Flybe flight from Birmingham, carrying 47 passengers, was approaching Belfast City Airport in gusty conditions in February.

The 46-year-old pilot had shortly before checked that his prosthetic lower left arm was securely attached to the yoke clamp, but as he performed a maneuver just before touchdown the limb became detached.

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch said the pilot considered getting the co-pilot to take control, but concluded that the best thing to do was to move his right hand to the yoke to regain control.

"He did this, but with power still applied and possibly a gust affecting the aircraft, a normal touchdown was followed by a bounce, from which the aircraft landed heavily," the report said.

No one was hurt. According to the report, the pilot said he would be more cautious about checking the attachment on his prosthesis in the future, and that he would brief his co-pilots about the possibility of a similar event.

Flybe said the pilot remained one of the airline's most experienced and trusted pilots. Captain Ian Baston, director of flight operations and safety, said the company employs staff with "reduced physical abilities," including pilots. He said the airline ensures it adheres to Civil Aviation Authority requirements and never compromises on safety.

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
image.jpg  

Clubhouse, Dragonlady66, gatagato, kellyhound, Kelseecat65
Old 08-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Clubhouse
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:7

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 25063 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss65212
Re: Pilot's Artificial Arm Detaches While Landing

This was on the news last night, I couldn't stop laughing

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clubhouse For This Useful Post:
gatagato, Zambini
Old 08-15-2014, 03:42 AM
BigFoot
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:657

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss834

This may make me sound like a dick, and trust me, that's not my intention.. but why would an airline keep a pilot that has a prosthetic arm? If he just uses the other arm and hand, I don't see a big issue.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigFoot For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight, gatagato, kellyhound, Zambini
Old 08-15-2014, 07:02 AM
Zambini
Offline:
Instigator Extraordinaire
Poster Rank:53
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 8124 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss17006

It doesn't make you sound like a dick and I agree, it does make it sound dangerous, mechanical failures happen with a devices, and could with this arm at the most inopportune time

BigFoot, daughterofthenight, gatagato
Old 08-15-2014, 08:23 AM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss5491

I admit i lol'd and perhaps i will go to hell for this, but on a serious note, some statements are even scarier than the accident itself.
"The pilot considered getting the co-pilot to take control, but concluded that the best thing to do was to move his right hand to the yoke to regain control"
I'm sorry for the lack of politically correctness, but a well-trained co-pilot with TWO arms (who in such situation is always READY to take control of the aircraft) is always a MUCH better choice than a pilot missing one: actually, that would be one of the many reasons why two pilots are required, after all, temporary loss of ability. His decision to rule out this option apparently shows much more regard for his own ego than for the safety of the passengers, and this is wrong, hard to imagine some good technical reason for doing that. It's useless to put time, efforts and resources in order to improve the safety of airplanes when a poor decision may endanger the lives of 47 passengers + crew + people on the ground.

"the pilot said he would be more cautious about checking the attachment on his prosthesis in the future, and that he would brief his co-pilots about the possibility of a similar event"

So basically, he stated that he wasn't cautious enough in the past.
And IMO the airline should brief the PASSENGERS about the possibility of a similar event, before they even buy the ticket.

I know darn well that people with disabilities CAN do many jobs better than some so-called able-bodied ones, but when it comes to human lives, there's nothing to joke about.

Not saying he should be fired nor suggesting to put him behind a desk (it would be equal to sentence him to death ) : they simply shouldn't put in his hands the lives of the passengers, so no take-offs, no landings, no power to decide what to do in case something critical comes up.

I REALLY hope nobody will be offended by this post.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
87wildside, BigFoot, daughterofthenight, Kanda444, Kelseecat65, Zambini
Old 08-15-2014, 07:17 PM
ices
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3660

Want to see a magic trick? "LOOK MA! NO HANDS!"

The Following User Says Thank You to ices For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight
Old 08-18-2014, 12:50 PM
petedeamon
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:377
yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1919

Well they compromised the safety that day. Never generally never happens (sic)!!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to petedeamon For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight
Old 08-18-2014, 08:53 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 20139 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss49383

Quote:
the pilot considered getting the co-pilot to take control, but concluded that the best thing to do was to move his right hand to the yoke to regain control.
worst time ever for a 'just because i have a disability, doesnt mean i cant do the same thing any other person can do...' moment.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kanda444 For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight, gatagato