My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1709

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss190
Re: Phillip Hughes (Cricketer) Dead at 25!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCorpse View Post
He was moving his face backwards as it happened, this will lessen the blow considerably... It looked like more of a glancing blow rather than one that hit him flush in the mouth.
agree

still a great effort to keep going with the game

i remember back in the 70's, rodney hogg bowled a bouncer to sir viv richards and hit him in the jaw
the australians were all around sir viv to see how he was except for one of them - hoggy, who was ready to start his run up for the next delivery
the next delivery was another bouncer and went straight over the fence

awesome effort by sir viv

The Following User Says Thank You to gboy69 For This Useful Post:
Illusion
Old 12-01-2014, 05:11 AM
MrCorpse
Offline:
*DR's nice guy*
Poster Rank:44
Male

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 6895 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
7/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss19120

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboy69 View Post
agree

still a great effort to keep going with the game

i remember back in the 70's, rodney hogg bowled a bouncer to sir viv richards and hit him in the jaw
the australians were all around sir viv to see how he was except for one of them - hoggy, who was ready to start his run up for the next delivery
the next delivery was another bouncer and went straight over the fence

awesome effort by sir viv
I'm not familiar with the incident but I admire the ruthlessness of Rodney Hogg in this example... I like it when players will do anything to win, unfortunately in cricket there's a lot of touchy feely queer shit when dealing with opponents.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:14 AM
MrCorpse
Offline:
*DR's nice guy*
Male

Activity Longevity
7/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss19120

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr black View Post
You can see from the video most of the energy from the fastball was absorbed by the umpire.

Video of Jason Heyward who suffered a broken jaw in two different places after being hit by pitch.

I think that stung a bit

The Following User Says Thank You to MrCorpse For This Useful Post:
Illusion
Old 12-02-2014, 04:45 AM
gboy69
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1709

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss190

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the incident but I admire the ruthlessness of Rodney Hogg in this example
unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any footage of it - although there is some articles going around
a page on sir viv
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...ry/140294.html
the paragraph in question
A few years later, in 1979-80, he destroyed the career of Australia's Rodney Hogg after the slab-shouldered paceman was foolish enough to smack Richards a painful blow in the head with a bouncer on the unreliable MCG deck. Chewing gum like a waterfront contract killer, the champion No.3 gave Hogg the stone face before dismembering his next six overs. Hogg ended up going for 10 an over and had to retire from the field with a strained back. It was another year before Hogg stepped on to a Test match field, and never again did he regain the penetration of his earliest days when he routinely embarrassed Geoff Boycott

Quote:
I like it when players will do anything to win, unfortunately in cricket there's a lot of touchy feely queer shit when dealing with opponents.
times have certainly changed since then, but maybe one reason the bowlers seem to care more about the batsmen, is because as bowlers have become better at batting, they have become fair game for bouncers
back in the 70's, the bowlers while not totally exempt from being bounced, certainly didn't get the same treatment batsmen got
i am sure nowadays the bowlers are worried that if they don't show some degree of empathy after injuring a batsman, they will receive a vicious barrage when it is their turn to face up

Old 12-02-2014, 04:58 AM
MrCorpse
Offline:
*DR's nice guy*
Male

Activity Longevity
7/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss19120

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboy69 View Post
unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any footage of it - although there is some articles going around
a page on sir viv
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...ry/140294.html
the paragraph in question
A few years later, in 1979-80, he destroyed the career of Australia's Rodney Hogg after the slab-shouldered paceman was foolish enough to smack Richards a painful blow in the head with a bouncer on the unreliable MCG deck. Chewing gum like a waterfront contract killer, the champion No.3 gave Hogg the stone face before dismembering his next six overs. Hogg ended up going for 10 an over and had to retire from the field with a strained back. It was another year before Hogg stepped on to a Test match field, and never again did he regain the penetration of his earliest days when he routinely embarrassed Geoff Boycott

times have certainly changed since then, but maybe one reason the bowlers seem to care more about the batsmen, is because as bowlers have become better at batting, they have become fair game for bouncers
back in the 70's, the bowlers while not totally exempt from being bounced, certainly didn't get the same treatment batsmen got
i am sure nowadays the bowlers are worried that if they don't show some degree of empathy after injuring a batsman, they will receive a vicious barrage when it is their turn to face up
Yeah you're probably right... but I think it's good the game has changed a bit... When I watch my team play I want to see them doing everything they can to win! If that means hitting your opponent in the head then so be it!

The Following User Says Thank You to MrCorpse For This Useful Post:
winvens
Old 12-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Nite
Offline:
Retarded Genius
Poster Rank:3

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
Quoted: 16139 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
11/20 14/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss88622

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
You hold the same view with any batsman that gets hit in the head with a bouncer?
That they weren't any good?
Before you get your violins out and shed a tear remember it was only last season that Michael Clarke was urging Mitchell to break the arms of English batsmen he was consistently hitting with his bouncers.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Nite
Offline:
Retarded Genius
Poster Rank:3

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
Quoted: 16139 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
11/20 14/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss88622

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuckunfucku2 View Post
Typical Kiwi inferiority complex.
What inferiority complex? The Black Caps just thrashed Pakistan. How did your second rate piece of shit team do against them?
Retarded cunt.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:33 PM
downunder
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:85
Male

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2619 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
12/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss12085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Before you get your violins out and shed a tear remember it was only last season that Michael Clarke was urging Mitchell to break the arms of English batsmen he was consistently hitting with his bouncers.
You didn't answer the question. You stated he was hit in the head due to his poor batting technique.
The mentality of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to downunder For This Useful Post:
gboy69