Standing by...
Contributions: 53

Mentioned: 479 Post(s)
Quoted: 21586 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40825
Re: Phillip Hughes (Cricketer) Dead at 25!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCorpse View Post
Good and detailed response! I was going to reply to his comment myself but this was much more info than I would give...

Here's a video of some people getting hurt while batting (this vid was posted prior to Hughes' death)

It sucks that the footage is not clear enough to see what happens clearly but you should get some idea.

This next video is not as brutal but is pretty good picture quality so you can see what's happening. It's an Australian bowler making life difficult for a clueless batsman from Afghanistan!

I think the reason cricket has more accidents like this is that the ball is bowled into the pitch and then bounces from there, after it bounces it can deviate quite a bit (it may bounce more, or less than expected, and sometimes it can jag to the left or to the right of where it appeared the ball was heading). In baseball all they have to do is follow a pretty straight trajectory, sometimes the ball may curve a bit but that's nothing compared to what can happen in cricket.

I have attached a photo of a cricket ball and a pitch as well. This should give people who don't follow cricket some idea of why there can be uneven and unpredictable bounce. The ball has a big seam which will interact with the pitch when it bounces, and the pitch itself can often get worn out during a game creating an uneven surface to bounce off.

A cricket ball weight is 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 ounces (around 160 grams) and when that is hurled in your general direction at great speed and hits you somewhere vital it can cause some damage!
Holy shit!

Seems like this 'sport' consists of one well-dressed gentleman throwing a ball at another well-dressed gentleman's face from 20ft away as hard as he can...

i'm not sure i'd have the patience to deal with an aging pig.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:49 PM
winvens
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:125
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 4341 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8054

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapeWhistle View Post
Holy shit!

Seems like this 'sport' consists of one well-dressed gentleman throwing a ball at another well-dressed gentleman's face from 20ft away as hard as he can...
Puts baseball in its place, doesn't it?

The Following User Says Thank You to winvens For This Useful Post:
downunder
The Following Users Disliked This Post By winvens:
Illusion
Old 11-30-2014, 12:03 AM
downunder
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:85
Male

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2606 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12059

Quote:
Holy shit!

No, throwing is illegal, it has to be bowled with a straight arm, over not under.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:49 AM
gboy69
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1727

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Why is it untrue?
the first line is untrue - bad technique maybe, but definitely the first line is wrong

it seems someone is butt hurt that when an australian has an average of 35, he cannot hold down his place
but when a kiwi has an average of 35, he is called captain

as others have said - typical kiwi inferiority complex (and this is coming from someone who is half kiwi)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gboy69 For This Useful Post:
downunder, fuckunfucku2
Old 11-30-2014, 01:57 AM
gboy69
Offline:
Poster Rank:1727

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss188

Quote:
Holy shit!

not at all - most deliveries are bowled with the intention of bouncing 3/4 of the way down the pitch and hitting the top of the off stump (not the middle or leg stumps :) )

while there have been a few batsmen hit in the head lately (2 with fractures), very rarely does a batsman ever get hit in the head
most wear a helmet and just laugh it off. unfortunately incidents like phillip hughes' tragic passing happen in competitive sport, no matter what sport it is

in fact, i would suggest that the fielding team is in more danger than the batsmen at times. many times a there is a fielder in close and if the batsman tries to smash the ball to the boundary the fielder is the one in danger

this was just a tragic situation that may never been repeated - although over night an jewish umpire was killed after the ball was hit straight down the ground and hit him in the jaw

The Following User Says Thank You to gboy69 For This Useful Post:
downunder
Old 11-30-2014, 02:08 AM
MrCorpse
Offline:
*DR's nice guy*
Poster Rank:44
Male

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 6826 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss19040

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboy69 View Post
not at all - most deliveries are bowled with the intention of bouncing 3/4 of the way down the pitch and hitting the top of the off stump (not the middle or leg stumps :) )

while there have been a few batsmen hit in the head lately (2 with fractures), very rarely does a batsman ever get hit in the head
most wear a helmet and just laugh it off. unfortunately incidents like phillip hughes' tragic passing happen in competitive sport, no matter what sport it is

in fact, i would suggest that the fielding team is in more danger than the batsmen at times. many times a there is a fielder in close and if the batsman tries to smash the ball to the boundary the fielder is the one in danger

this was just a tragic situation that may never been repeated - although over night an jewish umpire was killed after the ball was hit straight down the ground and hit him in the jaw
Yeah, just read that (The Israeli umpire dying)... he would have a lot more time to react though so I'd love to see the footage to get an idea of why he didn't move in time - I'm guessing there is no footage though unless someone had their camera phone out...

The Following User Says Thank You to MrCorpse For This Useful Post:
gboy69
Old 11-30-2014, 05:26 PM
MattJackson1984
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:8131
Male

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Phil Hughes was one of my favourite players too, couldn't believe it when I heard the news! He was just so unlucky. I guess he would have been out of it fairly quickly and wouldn't have known what was happening to him....

Old 11-30-2014, 11:56 PM
fuckunfucku2
Offline:
Poster Rank:1802

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss175

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboy69 View Post
the first line is untrue - bad technique maybe, but definitely the first line is wrong

it seems someone is butt hurt that when an australian has an average of 35, he cannot hold down his place
but when a kiwi has an average of 35, he is called captain

as others have said - typical kiwi inferiority complex (and this is coming from someone who is half kiwi)
It's a good thing Kiwis are so awesome at union. Can you imagine how poor their self esteem would be if they didn't have that.

The Following User Says Thank You to fuckunfucku2 For This Useful Post:
gboy69
Old 12-01-2014, 01:08 AM
fuckunfucku2
Offline:
Poster Rank:1802

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss175

Ouch.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:37 AM
MrCorpse
Offline:
*DR's nice guy*
Poster Rank:44
Male

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 6826 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss19040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr black View Post
100MPH fastball right in the chops. Took it like a man.

He was moving his face backwards as it happened, this will lessen the blow considerably... It looked like more of a glancing blow rather than one that hit him flush in the mouth.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrCorpse For This Useful Post:
Illusion