Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526
Paid Time Off For Menstruating Women?

I wasn't sure if this should go here or in the, "Current News," section.

Russian Lawmaker Proposes Paid Days Off For Menstruating Women

By Gabriela Baczynska
Reuters

MOSCOW — A Russian lawmaker has asked parliament to give women two days paid leave a month when they menstruate, a move that has irked rights activists worried over creeping conservatism since Vladimir Putin resumed the presidency.

Mikhail Degtyaryov, a member of the nationalist LDPR party led by the outspoken Vladimir Zhirinovsky, wrote on his website that he had proposed a draft law to increase the protection of women at the workplace.

"During that period, (of menstruation), most women experience psychological and physiological discomfort. The pain for the fair sex is often so intense that it is necessary to call an ambulance," said Degtyaryov, 32, who is married with two sons.

Degtyaryov, a candidate in a Moscow mayoral election on September 8 who is polling at less than one percent support, said pain during menstruation heightened fatigue, reduced memory and efficiency at work, and provoked distinct emotional discomfort.

The State Duma lower house of parliament does not meet again until September but human rights campaigners have already dismissed the proposal as sexist.

"This argument is obviously improper, unreasonable and nothing close to being serious," said Anna Sobko, a lawyer at Memorial, Russia's oldest human rights group.

Marina Pisklakova-Parker, head of women's group Anna Center, said the proposal was absurd.

"If we are seriously debating women's efficiency at work during menstruation, we should also consider how fit for work men are after a drinking bout," she said.

Rights activists said they did not see the Kremlin's hand behind the proposal. But the opposition says there has been a drift towards more conservatism attitudes in Russian politics since Putin returned to the presidency in May last year and started courting the resurgent Russian Orthodox Church.

Parliament has since then enacted what critics see as a series of repressive laws, including one banning, "homosexual propaganda," which has been widely condemned in the West.

I could have used this as far back as high school. My left side always gave me pain and got worse as I got older. I've heard it said having a baby helps, but, I chose not to test that theory :)

I know I'd get in my car and just drive randomly without thinking. I was pretty useless at work and school, but, we are all different. We did have sick days.

I also thought Russian women were tough!

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
charming
Old 07-31-2013, 03:05 AM
xthabeast
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:844
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss559
Re: Paid Time Off For Menstruating Women?

This bullshit. Sounds like the somehow feminists creeped into Russia.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:10 AM
Bastet
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:340
She-Man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2220

I'd rather go for free chocolate and masturbation breaks at work while I'm PMSing Nothing beats that bummer like mint chocolate and epic orgasms

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bastet For This Useful Post:
candice81, shavedkitty
Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 AM
xxxbecsxxx
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3139
Female

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss71

I'm really surprised that a man actually thought of this.
It's really fucking ridiculous, but at least he's trying to help?

Old 07-31-2013, 12:35 PM
candice81
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:310
Female

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2496

Hey sometimes I think its better if im NOT in public during that time, I could honestly skin someone and not have a care in the world. maybe go for an ice cream sunday after!

The Following User Says Thank You to candice81 For This Useful Post:
Bastet
Old 07-31-2013, 01:16 PM
HmnTrch
Offline:
Poster Rank:2794

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss86

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxbecsxxx View Post
I'm really surprised that a man actually thought of this.
It's really fucking ridiculous, but at least he's trying to help?
Maybe his wife gets excessivly emotional and loses her rag easier during this time.

I don't see it as being that ridiculous. I know I am far less productive on my first day. Lucky me today is that day for this month, and it is a day I am scheduled off from work! Maybe not a paid day off, but some extra sick days each year in case anyone has bad periods would be nice.

The main issue isn't pain for me, (and who the hell calls the ambalamps for it?) it is feeling light headed and dizzy and shaking because I'm soaking thru a super plus tampon in 1.5 hours.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:50 PM
xxxbecsxxx
Offline:
Poster Rank:3139
Female

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss71

Oh I agree with maybe some sick days for those who find it necessary. I know how bad it can get, I had to start BC at 13 because of the extremely painful cramps.
Its the paid part that gets to me.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:27 PM
LadyCPlum
Offline:
My Rank: CAPTAIN
Poster Rank:137
All woman

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
9/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss7197

For those of us who suffer from diseases like endometriosis, which, as you know, can cause excruciating pain depending on how bad it is (I cannot count the number of school days and work days I've missed), I think at least one paid day off if you can somehow prove that being on your cycle will probably completely disrupt your ability to work, it's not a bad idea......

The Following User Says Thank You to LadyCPlum For This Useful Post:
Bastet