Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913
One Dead After Alabama School Bus Shooting, Child Seized

http://news.yahoo.com/man-shoots-sch...015512702.html

(Reuters) - A gunman boarded an Alabama school bus ferrying children home from school on Tuesday and fatally shot the driver before fleeing with a young child and holing up in an underground bunker, Alabama media reported.

Sheriff's officials confirmed that one person had been killed in a shooting involving a school bus in Alabama's Dale County but gave scant details other than to say that a child was present at the scene in Midland City.

The gunman fled to a bunker near his home hours after the shooting, but it was not immediately clear if he still had the child, who local media variously identified as 5 or 6 years old, the Dothan Eagle newspaper said.

"All we know is he shot the bus driver and took a 6-year-old child," Carol Shephard told the paper, saying her own child had been on the bus at the time of the incident.

The shooting comes as the nation is on edge about gun violence, especially in schools, after a gunman shot dead 20 students and six staff members at a Connecticut elementary school last month, stoking a national debate on gun control.

The suspected shooter remains barricaded in the bunker and law enforcement officials were negotiating with him, according to media reports.

Alabama media reported that the incident happened at approximately 4 p.m. local time when the suspect demanded the driver let a student off the bus.

When the driver refused, the man boarded the bus, then shot the driver before taking the child and fleeing the scene.

"I spoke to about three or four of the students," Michael Senn, a local minister whose church is near the scene, told Alabama NBC affiliate WSFA. "One of them was a young lady and she told me that when the man entered the bus ... he told most of them to get off the bus and he grabbed a 5-year-old little boy."

"From what I understand, kids were running down the road behind the church trying to get to safety."

One resident of the area who arrived quickly on the scene said he tried to give chase before he realized that the gunman had taken cover in his own private bunker.

"I ran into his yard. I didn't realize it was him actually at the time. I ran past his house ... and the underground bomb shelter he is in," resident Mike Hill told the local television station.

The sheriff's department said multiple agencies were assisting with the incident and local area schools would be closed on Wednesday.

(Reporting by Kaija Wilkinson; Writing by Tom Brown; Editing by Cynthia Johnston, Mohammad Zargham and Lisa Shumaker)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, blue devil, diamondsmiles, Faline, gatagato, icheerthebull, K9Grip, kellyhound, Pyramid_Head
Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 AM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
2/11 ssss12567
Re: One Dead After Alabama School Bus Shooting, Child Seized

Just more bullshit to fuel all the gun B.S.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
gatagato, johnleeknoefler, pbaj12, SR24084
Old 01-31-2013, 04:33 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 20/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss61202

Quote:
A tense standoff moved into its second day Thursday as police negotiated with a U.S. man suspected of boarding a crowded school bus, shooting the driver dead and taking a five-year-old boy at random with him into a rural bunker.

Multiple neighbours identified the suspect as Jimmy Lee Dykes, a 65-year-old retired truck driver who had moved to the Alabama neighbourhood on a rutted red clay road more than a year ago.

It didn't take long before he developed a frightening reputation as a volatile man with anti-government views who threatened his neighbours at gunpoint and was vicious to wandering pets.

The boy was watching TV and getting medication sent from home, according to state Representative Steve Clouse, who met with authorities and visited the boy's family. Clouse said the bunker had food and electricity.

Authorities lowered medicine into the bunker for the boy after his captor agreed to it, Clouse said.

"He will have to give up sooner or later because [authorities] are not leaving," said the police chief of the adjacent town of Pinckard, James Arrington. "It's pretty small, but he's been known to stay in there eight days."

Arrington said Dykes holds strong anti-government views and the FBI has reason to believe the shooting was a hate crime.

"He's against the government — starting with Obama on down," Arrington said. "He doesn't like law enforcement or the government telling him what to do. He's just a loner."

On Thursday, dozens of cars for police and FBI agents blocked the road's entrance. At least one ambulance was parked nearby.

Homes on the road had been evacuated after authorities found what they believed to be a bomb on the property.

'He just wanted a child for a hostage'
Police negotiators tried to win the boy's safe release.

"As far as we know there is no relation at all. He just wanted a child for a hostage situation," said Michael Senn, a pastor who helped comfort traumatized children after the attack.

The situation remained unchanged for hours as negotiators continued talking to the suspect. Earlier in the day, Sheriff Wally Olson said authorities had "no reason to believe that the child has been harmed."

Officers are heard saying that they were trying to communicate with Dykes through a PVC pipe leading into the shelter.

Authorities gave no details of the standoff, and it was unclear if Dykes made any demands.

Jimme Lee Dykes, who is reported to be in a standoff with police after killing a bus driver and taking a boy hostage this week, had been scheduled to appear in court Wednesday morning to answer charges he shot at his neighbours in a dispute last month over a speed bump.

Neighbours said their children had a run-in with him about 10 months ago.

"My bulldogs got loose and went over there," Patricia Smith said. "The children went to get them. He threatened to shoot them if they came back."

"He's very paranoid," her husband said. "He goes around in his yard at night with a flashlight and shotgun."
I hope he leaves the kid alone. Fucking mental douchebag.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:34 AM
chefbob09
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:243
Male

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss3577

wow, the americans are killing themselves off before the muslims can do it

Old 02-04-2013, 08:19 PM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss5490

***UPDATE
Boy Freed, Kidnapper Dead
Quote:
In a tragic ending to a horrifying ordeal, the little Alabama boy, Ethan, was freed from the underground bunker where he was being held hostage by Vietnam War veteran Jimmy Lee Dykes. The assailant, however, is dead — read on for more details.
After a six-day standoff, the Midland City, Ala. boy who was taken off of his school bus on Jan. 29 and held captive in an underground shelter has been safely released, but his kidnapper, Jimmy Lee Dykes, is now dead.

The child, 5-year-old Ethan, was spotted emerging from the underground bunker safely, officials tell CNN. Ethan was taken to a hospital in nearby Dothan, Alabama state Rep. Steve Clouse tells CNN.

Steve Richardson, FBI FBI Special Agent in Charge at the scene, said that the kidnapper was “observed holding a gun,” according to CNN. The FBI team thought little Ethan was in immediate danger, so they entered the underground bunker at 3:12 Central time to retrieve him.

Special Agent Richardson also added that Jimmy is now dead. No other details were immediately available.

Jimmy Lee Dykes Allegedly Kills Bus Driver & Kidnaps Ethan
Jimmy boarded a school bus on Jan. 29 and killed bus driver Charles Albert Poland Jr. after shooting him four times. He told all of the kids to exit the bus, but little Ethan fainted — and Jimmy kidnapped him, and took him to his underground bunker nearby, where they stayed for six agonizing days while police and the FBI tried to negotiate with the hostage-taker.

Ethan turns 6 years old the week of Feb. 4.

Jimmy Lee Dykes was described as a loner with a distrust of the government. Neighbors also described the underground bunker on the man’s property as being 4 feet long, 6 feet wide and 8 feet deep, with power, a TV and plenty of food and supplies.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-hos...ry?id=18397405

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
blue devil, diamondsmiles, kellyhound, Megamel29
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Thank goodness it ended well. Poor boy is surely traumatized.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, gatagato
Old 02-06-2013, 03:00 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Video FINALLY showing picture of Ethan and his captor! Feel free to move it up, Meg! I've been waiting to see the boy. The captor has been shown here a few days ago.

It appears Ethan was released and celebrated his birthday yesterday. I know it was coming up when he was first taken. I'm curious as to why he was chosen.

<embed src="http://cnettv.cnet.com/av/video/cbsnews/atlantis2/cbsnews_player_embed.swf" scale="noscale" salign="lt" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" background="#333333" width="425" height="279" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="si=254&&contentValue=50140367&shareUrl= http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57567597/alabama-hostage-taker-jimmy-lee-dykes-died-at-cops-hands/" />

<****** id="kaltura_player_1360134299" height="360" width="640" style="border: 0px solid #ffffff;" src="http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/1_qve3qj9g/uiconf_id/3775332/st_cache/54090?referer=http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/ala-hostage-standoff-kidnapper-dead-child-safe-18406192&amp;autoPlay=false&amp;addThis.playerSize =392x221&amp;freeWheel.siteSectionId=nws_offsite&a mp;closedCaptionActive=true&amp;addThis.playerSize =640x360&amp;closedCaptionsOverPlayer.fontsize=18" >Unfortunately your browser does not support IFrames.</******>

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
gatagato, Megamel29
Old 02-06-2013, 03:12 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefbob09 View Post
wow, the americans are killing themselves off before the muslims can do it

Every country and religion has their murderers and criminals!

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Megamel29
Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

DiamondSmiles, I would move it up but I don't know how. Thanks for the update!

The Following User Says Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 02-06-2013, 04:08 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamel29 View Post
DiamondSmiles, I would move it up but I don't know how. Thanks for the update!
You're welcome.

It's easy, if I can do it ;) Basically, you copy the links for the videos, click, "edit", under the op, paste the videos, the click, "save."

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Megamel29