Quoted: 19389 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649
Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
How badly will the US flame out of the world cup tomorrow?
We have Jozy back, so it might not be that bad. I love Belgium too, so this sucks.

The Following User Says Thank You to K9Grip For This Useful Post:
Illusion
Old 07-01-2014, 12:47 AM
Clubhouse
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:7

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 25063 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss65212

Luis Suarez bite ban: Uruguay President Jose Mujica insults Fifa

Uruguay's President Jose Mujica has called football's world governing body Fifa "a bunch of old sons of bitches" over Luis Suarez's four-month ban.

The 79-year-old described the punishment, which also included a suspension for nine international matches, as a "fascist ban".

Suarez received the harshest sanction in World Cup history for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.

Mujica is renowned for his plain-speaking manner.

He made the comments to state TV at a reception for the Uruguay team, following their elimination from the World Cup last 16 by Colombia.

The president covered his mouth to feign shock at what he had said, but told journalists to "publish it" when asked if he wanted to rectify his remarks. Mujica admitted that Suarez deserved to be disciplined, but said his suspension was too harsh.

"They could have punished him, but not given him this fascist ban," he said.

The former leftist guerrilla had previously said Suarez was being punished by Fifa because of his humble background.

He also denounced the ban in his weekly radio address as an "eternal shame" in the history of the World Cup.

Oscar Tabarez's side suffered a 2-0 defeat in their last-16 tie against Colombia after being forced to do without their star striker because of the ban.

Uruguay's football federation said it would appeal against Fifa's punishment.

Butt Hurt

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clubhouse For This Useful Post:
gatagato, Illusion, K9Grip
Old 07-01-2014, 12:59 AM
Illusion
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:27
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25942

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Grip View Post
We have Jozy back, so it might not be that bad. I love Belgian Godiva chocolate too, so this sucks.
I know they're so good.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Illusion For This Useful Post:
gatagato, K9Grip
Old 07-01-2014, 02:00 AM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat
Poster Rank:16
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

Quote:
I know they're so good.

Godiva is crap compared to the chocolate you can buy from local shops and street vendors there. I'm hungry now. I miss baguette sandwiches now, too. Damn you, Illusion!

gatagato
Old 07-01-2014, 02:03 AM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat

Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubhouse View Post

Luis Suarez bite ban: Uruguay President Jose Mujica insults Fifa

Uruguay's President Jose Mujica has called football's world governing body Fifa "a bunch of old sons of bitches" over Luis Suarez's four-month ban.

The 79-year-old described the punishment, which also included a suspension for nine international matches, as a "fascist ban".

Suarez received the harshest sanction in World Cup history for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.

Mujica is renowned for his plain-speaking manner.

He made the comments to state TV at a reception for the Uruguay team, following their elimination from the World Cup last 16 by Colombia.

The president covered his mouth to feign shock at what he had said, but told journalists to "publish it" when asked if he wanted to rectify his remarks. Mujica admitted that Suarez deserved to be disciplined, but said his suspension was too harsh.

"They could have punished him, but not given him this fascist ban," he said.

The former leftist guerrilla had previously said Suarez was being punished by Fifa because of his humble background.

He also denounced the ban in his weekly radio address as an "eternal shame" in the history of the World Cup.

Oscar Tabarez's side suffered a 2-0 defeat in their last-16 tie against Colombia after being forced to do without their star striker because of the ban.

Uruguay's football federation said it would appeal against Fifa's punishment.

Butt Hurt

He bit more than one person! In quite a few countries he could be serving time in a prison for it. So I'd say a 4 month ban is pretty fucking good compared to prison. Fascist ban.

gatagato
Old 07-01-2014, 02:32 AM
Illusion
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:27
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25942

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Grip View Post
We have Jozy back, so it might not be that bad. I love Belgium too, so this sucks.
Your box is full.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:35 AM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat

Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

Quote:
Your box is full.
Haven't heard that in a while.

Illusion
Old 07-01-2014, 02:46 AM
FredFlintstone
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:918
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 ssssss489

Hello people, I've really enjoyed the WC so far...

Anyways, I have 2 bets down this World Cup on Belgium and the Netherlands to win, I managed to get odds of 16/1 for Belgium and 25/1 for the Netherlands, so they're my dark horse teams that I decided to go with...And so far, so good.

It's been an entertaining WC so far, and some shocking results too (which adds to the excitement I guess)...but now I think It's between France, Germany or Brazil to go on to win it now, and if I had to pick one team, then I think France is going to be that team (I never would've said that before the WC started).

But France have looked consistently solid, and always had control of their games, Germany have a great team, but for me haven't quite found their form like the French have, and Brazil are just Brazil, you just can't write them off, especially when playing on home soil even though they do come across as bit of a one man team...

So I'll be watching the USA vs Belgium tonight which I think will be a tight match, but I expect Belgium will be the hardest team for the USA to break down because the have a really solid defence and quite a solid midfield...their certainly not a team to be underestimated, but I'm going to predict 1-0 to Belgium simply because of the difference in quality of players, but you never know.

You Americans need to attack the Belgians down the wings, that's where you'll hurt them, that's where they are at their weakest, they even have a CB playing at LB, and no big name at RB...everywhere else they're a very solid team with so much depth.

Good luck with that match though ;)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredFlintstone For This Useful Post:
Clubhouse, gatagato, Illusion, K9Grip
Old 07-01-2014, 07:14 AM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss5491

I will never bite againnnnnn!!!!

Suarez apologizes, vows to never bite again.

Quote:
Brasilia, July 1 (IANS) Controversial Uruguay striker Luis Suarez Monday publicly apologised to Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini and vowed to never again bite an opponent.

The Liverpool forward was banned from all football-related activities for four months after being found guilty of biting Chiellini during Uruguay's 1-0 victory over Italy in their World Cup Group D match June 24.

The sentence followed bans of seven and 10 matches issued to Suarez for the same offence in 2010 and 2013.

Having shied away from an international media frenzy over the past week, Suarez broke his silence on Twitter Monday.

"After several days of being home with my family, I have had the opportunity to regain my calm and reflect about the reality of what occurred," the statement said.

"Independent from the fallout and the contradicting declarations that have surfaced during these past days, all of which have been without the intention of interfering with the good performance of my national team, the truth is that my colleague Giorgio Chiellini suffered the physical result of a bite in the collision he suffered with me.

"For this I deeply regret what occurred. I apologise to Giorgio Chiellini and the entire football family. I vow to the public that there will never again be another incident like this."

Chiellini replied to the 27-year-old by urging FIFA to reassess the severity of the penalty, which also includes a nine-match ban from competitive international matches.

"It's all forgotten. I hope FIFA will reduce your suspension," he said in a tweet to Suarez.

The Uruguayan Football Federation, which has launched an appeal against the ban, was not immediately available for comment Monday.

While the sentence was widely applauded by the international media, it drew heavy criticism in Uruguay.

The national team's captain, Diego Lugano, said Suarez's human rights had been breached while President Jose Mujica also voiced his opposition to the "unjust" punishment*
Luis Suarez sorry for Chiellini bite at World Cup 2014
Gary Lineker on Luis Suarez apology
Luis Suarez ban: Giorgio Chiellini forgives Uruguayan on Twitter, suggesting 'It's all forgotten'
* = AND as reported by Clubhouse, called football's world governing body Fifa "a bunch of old sons of bitches" and described the punishment as a "fascist ban". Just on a side note

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
Clubhouse, K9Grip
Old 07-01-2014, 10:48 AM
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:349
BULL

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 13/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss2122