Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567
Re: Obama Unveils Sweeping Plan to Curb Gun Violence

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaj12 View Post
I posted this in another thread but makes more sense here.

About 110 million rifles in the U.S. (Congressional Research Service, 2009). 311,800,000 people in U.S. 2011.

There were 323 murders with rifles. 33 justified killings were by law enforcement. 12 justified killings by private citizens. (FBI 2011). 245 unjustified killings with rifles.

There were 1,694 killings with knives. 2 justified killings were by law enforcement. 46 were justified killings by private citizens. (FBI 2011) 1646 unjustified killings with knives.

There were 728 killings with personal weapons (hands, feet, fists, etc.). 1 was a justified killing by law enforcement. 4 were justified killings by private citizens. (FBI 2011) 723 unjustified killings with personal weapons.

So let's recap so far.
311,800,000 people in U.S. 2011
110,000,000 rifles in U.S. 2009
245 unjustified killings with rifles
1646 unjustified killings with knives
723 unjustified killings with personal weapons (hands, feet, fists, etc.)

I've seen figures stating for every rifle murder 1 in 7 to 12 have been with an "assault rifle". Let's just say 1 in 5 to make it simple and exaggerate. That gives us about 50 people killed in 2011 with "assault rifles".

The trend for murder rate from firearms (including rifles) has gone down while possession has increased.

I think we should stop giving people money for having extra kids. Food money (food stamps/EBT), I think it's okay to give some money for 2 parents and 2 kids that qualify. And it should be more like checks for specific things; you shouldn't be able to buy meals at KFC with EBT.

Stop giving $1,000 per child in tax rebates (Federal Child Tax Credit) for more than 2 kids.

Fund places that do abortions/vasectomies/tubectomies instead.

You'd stop a lot of kids being born that would grow up in shitty conditions (poverty/abuse/neglect). In the long run I think you'd cut down on crime, save money on jails and save lives.
But if it makes more sense to ban 10,000,000+ "assault rifles" to save <50 people a year...
You threw up all kinds of stats, except for how many people died from a gunshot and how that compares to other nations.
Why is that?

The Following 2 Users Disliked rob666 For This Post:
johnleeknoefler, Mr-Tape
Old 01-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 20139 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss49383

Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post
I hope they fund such a scheme.

Then they'll run out of funds and no more NRA!
one of Obama's executive actions was "Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers." Resource officers are armed law enforcement officers....

Old 01-18-2013, 03:14 PM
pbaj12
Offline:
Captain of a Sinking Ship
Poster Rank:885
Contributions: 14

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss524

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
You threw up all kinds of stats, except for how many people died from a gunshot and how that compares to other nations.
Why is that?
I said how many people were unjustly killed by rifles, knives and personal weapons. 3 things.

I was focusing on rifles. Politicians are talking about having another assault rifle ban. People are afraid to send their children to school because they think millions of people have fully automatic "assault rifles" that kill thousands here yearly. These black death machines kill less than 50 people a year and they're what they're focusing on. Forget about knives or people without any weapons killing 15 to 30 times more people than "assault rifles".

People think the correct answer is just to make it illegal. Worked great with alcohol and other drugs right?
Why do people kill people with guns? Yeah sure some of the blame is on guns and ammo because they were the tools. What about the people? Does everyone that gets a hold of a gun go out and murder people? OK, so it's individuals that are the problem. Are banning guns going to solve their problems?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 AM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaj12 View Post
I said how many people were unjustly killed by rifles, knives and personal weapons. 3 things.

I was focusing on rifles. Politicians are talking about having another assault rifle ban. People are afraid to send their children to school because they think millions of people have fully automatic "assault rifles" that kill thousands here yearly. These black death machines kill less than 50 people a year and they're what they're focusing on. Forget about knives or people without any weapons killing 15 to 30 times more people than "assault rifles".

People think the correct answer is just to make it illegal. Worked great with alcohol and other drugs right?
Why do people kill people with guns? Yeah sure some of the blame is on guns and ammo because they were the tools. What about the people? Does everyone that gets a hold of a gun go out and murder people? OK, so it's individuals that are the problem. Are banning guns going to solve their problems?
Its not just guns or people, its people with guns that is the problem. Your country has an extremely high rate of death by gun, its either society or its the number of guns and their availability.

The Following 2 Users Disliked rob666 For This Post:
AmericanIllusions, johnleeknoefler