Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21524
NYC Inmate 'Baked to Death' in Cell

March 19, 2014

By JAKE PEARSON

NEW YORK (AP) -- Jerome Murdough was just looking for a warm place to sleep on a chilly night last month when he curled up in an enclosed stairwell on the roof of a Harlem public housing project where he was arrested for trespassing.

A week later, the mentally ill homeless man was found dead in a Rikers Island Jail cell that four city officials say had overheated to at least 100 degrees, apparently because of malfunctioning equipment.

The officials told The Associated Press that the 56 year old former Marine was on anti-psychotic and anti-seizure medication, which may have made him more vulnerable to heat. He also apparently did not open a small vent in his cell, as other inmates did, to let in cool air.

"He basically baked to death," said one of the officials, who all spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not permitted to discuss specifics of the case.

The Medical Examiner's Office said an autopsy was inconclusive and that more tests were needed to determine Murdough's exact cause of death. But the officials, all with detailed knowledge of the case, say initial indications from the autopsy and investigation point to extreme dehydration or heat stroke.

Advocates for mentally ill inmates in New York say the death represents the failure of the city's justice system on almost every level. By arresting Murdough instead of finding him help, by setting bail at a prohibitive $2,500 and by not supervising him closely in what is supposed to be a special observation unit for inmates with mental illnesses.

Department of Correction spokesman, Robin Campbell, said in a statement that an internal investigation will look into all circumstances of Murdough's death, "including issues of staff performance and the adequacy of procedures."

Campbell acknowledged that the temperature in Murdough's cell was, "unusually high," and that action has been taken to fix mechanical problems to ensure safe temperatures, "particularly in areas housing vulnerable inmates."

Murdough's 75 year old mother, Alma Murdough, said she did not learn of her son's death until the AP contacted her last week, nearly a month after he died. His public defender was told of the death three days after the inmate was found, the DOC said.

"He was a very lovely, caring guy," said Murdough, adding that her son had bipolar disorder and schizophrenia and that she had not seen him in about three years.

"He had beer problems. Drinking beer. That was his downfall. Other than that, he was a very nice guy. He'd give you the shirt off his back."

Family members say Murdough grew up in Queens and joined the Marine Corps right out of high school, doing at least one stint in Okinawa, Japan.

When he returned from the service, his family said, both his mental illness and thirst for alcohol became more pronounced, and he would often disappear for months at a time, finding warmth in hospitals, shelters and the streets.

"When he wanted to venture off, we let him, we allowed him to come and go," recalled his sister, Cheryl Warner. "He always came back."

Murdough's criminal record included 11 misdemeanor convictions for trespassing, drinking in public and minor drug charges, said Ivan Vogel, a public defender who represented him at his arraignment on the trespassing charge.

According to the city officials, Murdough was locked alone into his 6 by 10 cinderblock cell at about 10:30 p.m. on February 14, a week after his arrest.

Because he was in the mental-observation unit, he was supposed to be checked every 15 minutes as part of suicide watch, they said. But, Murdough was not discovered until four hours later, at about 2:30 a.m. on February 15. He was slumped over in his bed and already dead.

When Murdough was found and his cell opened, his internal body temperature and the temperature in the cell were at least 100 degrees. Those temperatures could have been higher before he was discovered because the cell had been closed for several hours, the officials said.

Dr. Susi Vassallo, an associate professor at New York University School of Medicine and a national expert on heat-related deaths who monitors heat conditions at Rikers Island, said psychotropic medications can impair the body's ability to cool itself by sweating, making it retain more heat than it should.

Exposure to intense heat for a couple of hours by someone on such medications could be fatal, she said.

Last year, only three Rikers inmates died from non-natural causes, according to Department of Correction statistics.

Of the 12,000 inmates who make up the nation's second largest jail system, about 40 percent are mentally ill, and a third of them suffer from serious mental problems the department said.

Advocates and others have long argued that correction officers are not sufficiently trained to deal with mentally ill inmates whose needs are complex.

Catherine Abate, a member of the New York City Board of Correction, an agency charged with overseeing the city's jails, suggested at a recent public meeting that Murdough should have been referred him to psychiatric care, not to Rikers Island.

Jennifer J. Parish, an attorney at the New York-based Urban Justice Center's Mental Health Project, said Murdough appeared to be a man in need of care.

"So, Mr. Murdough violated the trespass law. So. he suffered the consequences by going to jail," Parish said. "But, the jail system committed more serious harm to him. And the question is, `Will they ever be held responsible?'"

Wanda Mehala, another of Murdough's sisters, said the family wants an explanation.

"We want justice for what was done," she said. "He wasn't just some old homeless person on the street. He was loved. He had a life. He had a family. He had feelings."

Alma Murdough and her daughter, Cheryl Warner, hold a photo of Murdough's son at her home in the Queens Borough of New York.
Photo: Jason DeCrow

Where was the family when the man was on the streets? All of a sudden, they want to get money from his death!

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
family.jpg  

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
BBKF, Darkest Angel, icheerthebull, Kanda444, Ntwadumela, Oswald2001, PTSD Is My Life, TwistedSisterr
Old 03-19-2014, 04:58 PM
icheerthebull
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:290
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2802
Re: NYC Inmate 'Baked to Death' in Cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmiles View Post

Where was the family when the man was on the streets? All of a sudden, they want to get money from his death!
This may be true in some/most cases but not all. One of my best friends ended up living on the streets several times. She could have stayed with me or any of my other mates who cared about her a great deal and she knew that. The amount of times we had to search for her when she went missing was numerous, at times it was like living through 8MM.

Regardless of the familys motives I do think the facility and the state who gave whatever company who runs it the contract should be held accountable for a death like this. As the rich dont go to jail hit them where it hurts - their wallets

America is just the country that shows how all the written guarantees in the world for freedom are no protection against tyranny and oppression of the worst kind. There the politician has come to be looked upon as the very scum of society - Peter Kropotkin
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to icheerthebull For This Useful Post:
BBKF, diamondsmiles, JayceeBugg, Kelseecat65, Paupercool1, Pigeon
Old 03-19-2014, 05:19 PM
TwistedSisterr
Offline:
Poster Rank:427
Tenacious Bigmouth
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1601

sounds like they did it to make him uncomfortable and it backfired an killed him

The Following User Says Thank You to TwistedSisterr For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 03-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss49337

diamondsmiles
Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 PM
divreaper
Offline:
Poster Rank:413
male

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1718

Poor soul. R.i.p soldier

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to divreaper For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, Ntwadumela
Old 03-20-2014, 12:13 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21524

Quote:
Originally Posted by icheerthebull View Post
This may be true in some/most cases but not all. One of my best friends ended up living on the streets several times. She could have stayed with me or any of my other mates who cared about her a great deal and she knew that. The amount of times we had to search for her when she went missing was numerous, at times it was like living through 8MM.

Regardless of the familys motives I do think the facility and the state who gave whatever company who runs it the contract should be held accountable for a death like this. As the rich dont go to jail hit them where it hurts - their wallets

This is true. Thank you

Old 03-20-2014, 12:15 AM
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:104

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4830 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss9575

He tasted like fried chicken.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustifiableHomicide For This Useful Post:
Ntwadumela, Oswald2001
Old 03-20-2014, 12:16 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21524

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedSisterr View Post
sounds like they did it to make him uncomfortable and it backfired an killed him
There may have been issues in the jail's ventilation system as stated, but, you'd think knowing the man had mental and medical issues, they would have checked on him as instructed and could have opened the vent. That's their job!

Someone should be held responsible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Paupercool1, TwistedSisterr
Old 03-20-2014, 12:44 AM
luciddrmr
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1119
female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss351

Thank Ronald Reagan. He closed around 80% of halfway houses that helped and housed veterans and mentally handicapped folks who needed it. Most of them were put out on the streets. I guess he thought the jail system was a cheaper option than a govt funded program.

The Following User Says Thank You to luciddrmr For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 03-20-2014, 02:17 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21524

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciddrmr View Post
Thank Ronald Reagan. He closed around 80% of halfway houses that helped and housed veterans and mentally handicapped folks who needed it. Most of them were put out on the streets. I guess he thought the jail system was a cheaper option than a govt funded program.
That is so sad

The government in the US would rather pay innocent people to die in wars instead of minding our own business and taking care of our own, especially the veterans.

Our schools suck and are putting out illiterates. They make the poor get more impoverished.

I don't get it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Paupercool1, TwistedSisterr