Contributions: 14

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss524
Re: NRA Releases Shooting Video Game Rated Suitable for Children

I thought I'd throw out a couple facts since there's been a lot of talk about restricting rifles.

About 110 million rifles in the U.S. (Congressional Research Service, 2009). 311,800,000 people in U.S. 2011.

There were 323 murders with rifles. 33 justified killings were by law enforcement. 12 justified killings by private citizens. (FBI 2011). 245 unjustified killings with rifles.

There were 1,694 killings with knives. 2 justified killings were by law enforcement. 46 were justified killings by private citizens. (FBI 2011) 1646 unjustified killings with knives.

There were 728 killings with personal weapons (hands, feet, fists, etc.). 1 was a justified killing by law enforcement. 4 were justified killings by private citizens. (FBI 2011) 723 unjustified killings with personal weapons.

So let's recap so far.
311,800,000 people in U.S. 2011
110,000,000 rifles in U.S. 2009
245 unjustified killings with rifles
1646 unjustified killings with knives
723 unjustified killings with personal weapons (hands, feet, fists, etc.)

I've seen figures stating for every rifle murder 1 in 7 to 12 have been with an "assault rifle". Let's just say 1 in 5 to make it simple and exaggerate. That gives us about 50 people killed in 2011 with "assault rifles".

I can't believe we haven't placed restrictions on those 10,000,000+ "assault rifles" out there responsible for mowing down tons of people. Who cares that the trend for murder rate from firearms (including rifles) has gone down while possession has increased. Screw statistics, what do they prove anyway? Definitely not that more people are killed in fist fights.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pbaj12 For This Useful Post:
BryanXavier, chefbob09
Old 01-18-2013, 12:13 AM
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:276

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3029

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
Because they promote a useless agenda that is killing your kids.
200 years ago a strong militia was needed because at any time the British or whoever could very well have sailed over and attacked. That threat doesn't exist today, except in the minds of some very deluded people who seem to think their elected federal government is intent on enslaving them and the first step to this is gun control.
Go ahead, don't change anything, just keep on wondering why so many people die from gunshots.
Spare me! Prescription drugs and ciggs kill more ppl then ANYBODY!!! Lets ban that!!! Oh, but the pharma and cigarette giants would never allow that. Educate yourself on the matters before posting please.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:32 AM
fenek
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1231
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss308

I'm definitely 'pro-gun' (or rather, against more federal gun control laws), but the NRA is way too tacky for my taste. The NRA releasing a shooter game is dumb for the same reasons that PETA is dumb for releasing 'Cooking Mama: Mama Kills Animals'. Its stupid. I don't think they're trying to educate anyone about gun safety, I think they're trying to use video games to promote their agenda.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:17 AM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanIllusions View Post
Spare me! Prescription drugs and ciggs kill more ppl then ANYBODY!!! Lets ban that!!! Oh, but the pharma and cigarette giants would never allow that. Educate yourself on the matters before posting please.
Prescription drugs are controlled, so is alcohol & tobacco. Neither of which enables a mentally unstable person to commit a mass killing.
Your the one that needs to educate yourself, you can start with how many people die in your country by gun compared to other developed nations. Your either an idiot or eating the nra's cock soup if you don't think there's a problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
chefbob09
Old 01-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 20147 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss49396

Quote:
Prescription drugs are controlled, so is alcohol & tobacco. Neither of which enables a mentally unstable person to commit a mass killing.
Your the one that needs to educate yourself, you can start with how many people die in your country by gun compared to other developed nations. Your either an idiot or eating the nra's cock soup if you don't think there's a problem.
they arent as controlled here as you think. they are marketed directly to the consumer. Ads for drugs run here non-stop on TV.... which is only legal in two countries.

and they most definitely have the ability to enable a person to do a ton of horrible things. the most common drugs prescribed here are anti-depressants (strong psychotropic SSRI's) and opiate pain killers (synthetic heroin). Anybody who has been on either of them before knows what happens if you miss a dosage or stop taking them cold turkey. The withdrawals from both substances induce altered states of consciousness... something an inanimate object (like a firearm) is incapable of doing. so, why should a person with a mental disorder be allowed to be charge of a mind altering 'controlled' substance that, if stopped suddenly, puts them and others at risk? why should a person be allowed to drive while prescribed synthetic heroin?

10% of Americans are on some form of antidepressant... strong psychotropic substances. Americans consume 80% of the opiate painkillers produced in the world... that's a lot of synthetic heroin.

the drug problem here isnt something you can just brush off by saying 'they're controlled'. they give 12 year olds Desoxyn (aka methamphetamine hydrochloride) here.... legally... and doctors here get paid a ton for doing it. for being drug dealers.

so, if the conversation was really about public safety, keeping children safe and saving lives....and not removing tools that scare people (firearms)..... the conversation would be focused on getting American doctors to stop prescribing kids Methamphetamine and adults heroin.

BryanXavier, gatagato
Old 01-18-2013, 02:52 PM
pbaj12
Offline:
Captain of a Sinking Ship
Poster Rank:885
Contributions: 14

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss524

Quote:
A lot of us that are pro-gun know there's a problem. The politicians answer is just to ban things, which is not a solution. A lot of people that are against guns seem to be on the band wagon and don't know facts.

The media and politicians throw around the word "assault rifles" and the masses believe these rifles can shoot fully automatic and they kill thousands of people here. As I showed in a previous post they kill less people in ten years than knives do in one year.

The weapon most often used to kill people are handguns, which account for 6000-7000 deaths annually. Some states like CA, HI and I believe NY think the solution is to ban normal capacity magazines and limit them to 10 rounds. Maybe they don't understand or don't care that it's not hard at all to get these magazines out of state or in rebuild kits where they come in pieces. Does this affect criminals? Probably not at all, just people following the law. And even 10 rounds is enough to kill one person or even 10 people.

The only thing I can see working is changing the ways things are done.
Make it mandatory that a person attends a couple of safety and shooting classes.
I think all states should have a 30 day wait time. It's not a huge inconvenience but if someone is heated over something they won't have the opportunity to walk into a gun store and walk out the same day with a weapon. Most murders by gun stem from some form of an argument.
And start showing people it's okay if you have a couple bolts loose in your head. If at least it saved one person from harming others or themselves it was worth it. Say right now a gun owner or someone with access to guns is having mental issues and want help. They may think that if they go see someone about their problems they'll tell the cops and they'll confiscate their guns. They don't want their guns taken away so they just don't go. They may get better or they may snap.

I think parents, whether gun owners or not need to teach children guns aren't the answer to a problem. Comic book heroes seem to follow this, I don't recall Batman, Superman, Spiderman, etc. using guns.

There needs to be anti-bullying campaigns and action taken against bullies.

And like I said in another thread. Fund some clinics that do abortions/vasectomies/tubectomies and you'll stop a lot of kids from being born that would grow up to become criminals and murderers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pbaj12 For This Useful Post:
5umguy24, gatagato, Kanda444, rob666
Old 01-19-2013, 11:16 AM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaj12 View Post
A lot of us that are pro-gun know there's a problem. The politicians answer is just to ban things, which is not a solution. A lot of people that are against guns seem to be on the band wagon and don't know facts.

The media and politicians throw around the word "assault rifles" and the masses believe these rifles can shoot fully automatic and they kill thousands of people here. As I showed in a previous post they kill less people in ten years than knives do in one year.

The weapon most often used to kill people are handguns, which account for 6000-7000 deaths annually. Some states like CA, HI and I believe NY think the solution is to ban normal capacity magazines and limit them to 10 rounds. Maybe they don't understand or don't care that it's not hard at all to get these magazines out of state or in rebuild kits where they come in pieces. Does this affect criminals? Probably not at all, just people following the law. And even 10 rounds is enough to kill one person or even 10 people.

The only thing I can see working is changing the ways things are done.
Make it mandatory that a person attends a couple of safety and shooting classes.
I think all states should have a 30 day wait time. It's not a huge inconvenience but if someone is heated over something they won't have the opportunity to walk into a gun store and walk out the same day with a weapon. Most murders by gun stem from some form of an argument.
And start showing people it's okay if you have a couple bolts loose in your head. If at least it saved one person from harming others or themselves it was worth it. Say right now a gun owner or someone with access to guns is having mental issues and want help. They may think that if they go see someone about their problems they'll tell the cops and they'll confiscate their guns. They don't want their guns taken away so they just don't go. They may get better or they may snap.

I think parents, whether gun owners or not need to teach children guns aren't the answer to a problem. Comic book heroes seem to follow this, I don't recall Batman, Superman, Spiderman, etc. using guns.

There needs to be anti-bullying campaigns and action taken against bullies.

And like I said in another thread. Fund some clinics that do abortions/vasectomies/tubectomies and you'll stop a lot of kids from being born that would grow up to become criminals and murderers.
agree with a lot of this.
Simple screening and mandatory gun safety course for ownership would work wonders.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
Kanda444, pbaj12
Old 01-19-2013, 01:44 PM
ices
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3660

Meanwhile MOH Warfighter you can bludgeon someone to death with an axe.

BF3 you can slice a guys neck open.

It may be open season on the NRA but seriously... Better things to do than worry about a harmless app.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ices For This Useful Post:
Kanda444, pbaj12