Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss5486
Norway Mass Shooter Anders Breivik Declared 'Sane'

Quote:
Norwegian Anders Behring Breivik was sane when he killed 77 people last summer in attacks he saw as punishing "traitors" who favored immigration, a psychiatric team said on Tuesday, in a report contradicting an earlier one that found him psychotic.

Breivik himself has insisted he is mentally stable and demanded that the attacks - the most violent in Norway since World War Two - be judged as a political act rather than the work of a deranged mind.

"The mental health experts' main conclusion is that defendant Anders Behring Breivik is considered not to have been psychotic at the time of the actions on July 22, 2011," Oslo District Court said in a statement.

A report completed in November found Breivik to be a psychotic who also suffered from paranoid schizophrenia during and after the July 22 attacks.
( See Anders Breivik Will Undergo Treatment at Psychiatric Ward )

A final ruling on Breivik's mental condition will be made by a five-judge panel near the end of his trial. The latest report could give the judges grounds to sentence Breivik to prison if found guilty.

His trial on terror and murder charges is due to start next week and is expected to last 10 weeks.

Breivik, 33, has admitted detonating a bomb that killed eight people at government headquarters in Oslo, then massacring 69 people with gunfire at a Labor Party summer camp. Most of the summer camp victims were teenagers.

In a preliminary court hearing Breivik denied criminal guilt and suggested his actions were part of a war to save European culture.

If Breivik is found guilty and the judges side with the latest psychiatric report, he could face 21 years in prison with the potential for indefinite extensions to prevent him from repeating his crimes.

If he is eventually ruled psychotic, Breivik would likely face an indefinite period of psychiatric care in a locked facility.

Breivik's defense team has said its primary goal at the trial would be to prove their client sane.

Norwegian Anders Behring Breivik, the man accused of a killing spree and bomb attack in Oslo.

Related threads:
New Killing Spree
Anders Behring Breivik's Own Phone Call to the Police (translated)
Anders Behring Breivik's Manifesto
Norway Shooter Anders Breivik Appears in Court in Norway 02.06.12
Norwegian Massacre Gunman Breivik in Reconstruction
Breivik Captured on Camera Just After the Bomb Went Off in Oslo
Oslo Woman is Back to Work After Blast

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
**butterflylove**, bannedinamerica, clndstn46, Faline, Madikken, MCBR, Pyramid_Head
Old 04-10-2012, 12:31 PM
MCBR
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:76

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12857
Re: Norway Mass Shooter Anders Breivik Declared 'Sane'

Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 PM
bigmikeymike
Offline:
To infinity and beyond!
Poster Rank:537
Weener

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1140

Well, you have to admit for a psycho the guy has conviction.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” -Stephen Roberts

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 04-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Australia Mate!
Poster Rank:238
I have a map of Tasmania

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3686

Yes because any ordinary, rational, sane person could do this

Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12566

Only 2 years o_0

Old 04-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Stimm
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3542

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss58

21 years with the possibility of indefinite detention. He could very well never walk the streets a free man ever again.

The courthouse is just down the junction of where I work. It's a media circur there now. Next week, they'll be closing off tons of streets from civil vehicles.

Nice way of pissing off people. Close off trafic, make traveling by vehicle downtown even more difficult, waste shitloads of taxpayer money on a case that should have been dealt with in a day. It's cut and clear. This whole charade is a play for the media. Beuracratic nonsense

Old 05-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Mr-Tape
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1641
Male

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss201

Quote:
Originally Posted by **butterflylove** View Post
Yes because any ordinary, rational, sane person could do this
Illu mind control can do fun stuff.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 PM
slash4321
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1445
Male

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss244

Legal insanity and medical insanity do differ (someone can be found to be mentally ill, yet still legally sane), which is probably why this rulling has been made. Essentially the 'M'Naghten rules' say someone will be lagally insane if they are under such defect of reason, from disease of the mind that they did not know what they were doing, or that it was wrong (among other things).

I would also argue it could have been a policy decision, because under Norwegian law, a person who is considered psychotic cannot be punished regardless of whether the act is motivated by psychosis or whether he has done it deliberately.

Imagine the international scrutiny Norway would come under if he hadn't have been punished. They HAD to find him sane!