Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss166
Nitrogen Cocktail Teen Has Stomach Removed

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/nitrogen-co...051910720.html

Quote:
A teenager has had her stomach removed to save her life after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen.

The 18-year-old, named in reports as Gaby Scanlon, began feeling breathless after consuming the drink during a night out with friends in Lancaster city centre on Thursday.

She then developed severe stomach pain and was taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary at about 11pm.
how stupid can u be

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to foldingstars For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, Dynamo47, Faline, fenek, Rachee, Rudebwoy, Sharon
Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Kadavar
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:719
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss730
Re: Nitrogen Cocktail Teen Has Stomach Removed

"The premises involved have fully co-operated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen."

That being said in the article leads me and probably others to believe that they do serve drinks containing the Liquid Nitrogen, so can not exactly call her stupid now. Also this would more than likely be responsible to the person who prepared the drink and comes down to either human error or lack of proper training. I have had plenty of these cocktails and have never had any problems touch wood.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss51378

Ingesting liquid nitrogen is crazy! Even if it is diluted in some cocktail.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:54 PM
slash4321
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1446
Male

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss244

You'd expect that a (presumably) reputable bar that has the requisite licenses would not be exposing anyone to something potenitally fatal. Also considering that many restaurants use liquid nitrogen on some desserts, albeit in a capacity where any harmful gasses have escaped, suggests that it isn't actually an outlandish practice that would have aroused her suspicions.

At least she has a big claim in damages to look forward to

The Following User Says Thank You to slash4321 For This Useful Post:
Dynamo47
Old 10-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

Here's more on this story:

Quote:
A teenager has had her stomach removed to save her life after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen.

Gaby Scanlon began feeling breathless after consuming the drink at Oscars Wine Bar, in Lancaster city centre, during a night out with friends on Thursday.

The 18-year-old then developed severe stomach pain and was taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary at about 11pm.

Medics diagnosed the girl with a perforated stomach and were forced to perform emergency surgery to remove the organ, Lancashire Police said.

The girl, from Heysham, remains in hospital in a serious but stable condition, the force added.

Officers have launched an investigation into the incident.

A number of witnesses at the night spot where the drink was bought are being interviewed by police and the licensed premises has stopped selling drinks containing the chemical.

Liz Nicholls, the principal at Ms Scanlon's school, the Ripley St Thomas Church of England Academy, described the teenager as "one of our most hardworking and mature students".

"Gaby is one of our most hardworking and mature students who had simply gone out for a quiet birthday celebration," she said.

"Our whole school community is shocked and upset at what has happened. Our thoughts and prayers are with Gaby, her family and her friends, who are obviously upset and distressed."

A Lancashire Police spokeswoman said: "Medical opinion is that this would have proved fatal had the operation not been carried out urgently.

"The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts.

"The premises involved have fully co-operated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen."

Oscars Wine Bar said in a statement: "This unfortunate incident is part of an ongoing police investigation and as such we cannot make any comments other than to say that we are tremendously concerned for the person involved and our heartfelt best wishes go to them and their family at this distressing time."

Lancaster city council said environmental health officers attended the premises with police officers on Friday afternoon.

"As a precaution and with the full cooperation of the owners of the premises, using powers under the Health & Safety at Work Act, the city council formally prohibited the bar from serving drinks containing liquid nitrogen," it said in a statement.

"The council also took possession of the liquid nitrogen equipment on the premises.

"When Lancashire Constabulary concludes its investigation the council expects to take the lead role and continue investigating what happened and whether offences were committed."

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
article-2214268-1566A443000005DC-208_636x372.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
fenek
Old 10-09-2012, 02:34 AM
DannyDrama
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:355
Contributions: 1

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2093
Weak bitch, I'm fine with my battery acid beer.

The Following User Says Thank You to DannyDrama For This Useful Post:
SouthrnHunnix420
Old 10-09-2012, 12:19 PM
ices
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
4/11 sssss3658

I avoid exotic shit like the plague.

Drink is essentially poison so I am not going to down exotic stuff which would royally fuck me up.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Robert440
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:981
male

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss443

Alcohol is a class 3 poison as it is!!!!!!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:33 AM
Rudebwoy
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1440

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss245

Um, maybe Im wrong but I thought nitrogen in itself is inert and non toxic. Now liquid nitrogen has to be pretty cold (-190-200C° IIRC), and mixing it in a normal drink would make it (the liquid nitrogen) boil and leave the cocktail immediately, but it would definitely cool down the drink. If you want "fuming" cocktail just put dry ice in it.
I think the bartender put too much liquid nitrogen in the drink and the stupid girl drank it too soon too quickly and the still present -200C° nitro killed her stomach...
Yes, people should definitely think before playing around.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Angelahh
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:84
meow
Contributions: 41

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12278

Quote:
"Gaby is one of our most hardworking and mature students who had simply gone out for a quiet birthday celebration," she said.
Yes I feel for the girl but I hate when the people and media then paint this rosey picture of the victim. I read elsewhere that these were Jager shots chilled with the liquid nitrogen she was slamming back. So perhaps hard working mature Gaby should have opted for a coffee house and some strudel if she wanted a quiet birthday celebration.

The Following User Says Thank You to Angelahh For This Useful Post:
BigFoot