Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss442
News on Booze

-Drunks Much More Likely to Survive Trauma

BOSTON—Trauma victims who were drunk at the time of their injury have higher survival rates than their sober counterparts, says a study in the journal American Surgeon.

A study of nearly 8,000 trauma patients found that 7% of the sober died of their injuries, while drunks croaked only 1% percent of the time. Trauma patients who came in to the hospital drunk were discharged sooner as well.

Previous studies on animals found that alcohol helps prevent nerve damage and the new study suggests that alcohol might have a place in treating traumatic injuries.

-Boozers Brighter

LONDON—A UK study reports that the more intelligent children are the more alcohol they’re likely to drink as adults. The exhaustive National Child Development Study monitored the test subjects from their childhoods to their 40s, and found that children scoring in the top “very bright” category grew up to drink almost twice as much as their “very dull” counterparts. Children of average intelligence generally grew up to drink average amounts of alcohol during their average lives.

Men Caught Trying to Sell $500,000 of Stolen Wine in a Parking Lot

-LOS ANGELES—Acting on a tip, detectives observed a fellow trying to sell bottles of 2007 Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon in a parking lot, then trailed him and another man to a nearby self-storage unit, said police Capt. Steven Finkelstein.

There the detectives arrested the two men and discovered an estimated 1,000 cases of wine with what police said was a retail price of $500,000. Authorities said the wine was last seen on board a tractor-trailer that was stolen in Ontario.

Theft of wine cargo is fairly common, police said, since the bottles are relatively easy to sell and difficult to track.

“Everybody likes wine,” Finkelstein noted.

-237-year Old Bottle of Non-Stolen Wine Goes for $77,000

PARIS—A 1774 bottle of Vin jaune (yellow wine) was auctioned for $77,000 in France.

The bottle of wine, brewed from grapes during Louis XVI’s reign, hit the record price at a wine festival in Arbois, France.

Pierre Chevrier, the Swiss gentleman who won the bid, said he regarded the price reasonable.

“My passion is to open bottles and I am delighted to have bought this bottle of yellow wine, which I will drink,” he said.

-World’s Oldest Winery Found

ARMENIA—A UCLA-led team has discovered a 6,000-year-old winery in an Armenian cave. The recent dig unearthed everything necessary to make wine, including a grape press, fermentation vats, storage jars and wine-soaked pottery shards.

The winery is at least 1,000 years older than any similar facility previously known, and was found in the same cave where researchers in June announced the discovery of the world’s oldest leather shoe.

-Drunks More Likely to Get Ripped

BOSTON—The more people drink, the more they exercise, reports a large-scale survey published in The American Journal of Health.

“Heavy drinkers exercise about 10 more minutes per week than current moderate drinkers and about 20 more minutes per week than current abstainers,” the authors of the study said. Furthermore, “an extra episode of binge drinking increases the number of minutes of total and vigorous physical activity per week for both women and men.”

The authors admitted they were confounded by their own report, declaring the survey results did not “follow expected patterns.”

-"This Beer Is Totally Gay"

MEXICO CITY—A Mexican microbrewery has introduced what it says is the world’s first two beers specifically made for the homosexual community.

The pair, called Salamandra and Purple Hand Beer, have a slight honey flavour and will be initially marketed to gay drinkers in Mexico, Colombia and Japan.

A Minerva Brewery spokesman said that the “artisan honey-ales” would appeal to a segment of the beer-drinking community that has felt disappointed by the failure of larger breweries in releasing gay beers.
The spokesman added that the label on the bottles is designed to be peeled off and worn as a symbol of gay or lesbian pride and/or an advertisement for the brewery. The brewery is also planning to release a strawberry-flavored variant.

Web site GayAgenda.com announced that it wasn’t certain if the gay community was being insulted or honored.

No stranger to trying to cash in on controversy, in 2007 the brewery released Malverde pilsner, honoring Jesus Malverde, the patron “saint” of narcotics traffickers.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:09 PM
blue devil
Offline:
on the outside looking in
Poster Rank:222
male

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3966
Re: News on Booze

huh? *BELCH*

Old 06-27-2011, 11:24 PM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:123

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

it's really not anything new that drunks are better able to handle trauma.

The Following User Says Thank You to candymosh For This Useful Post:
Sharon
Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 401

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 20/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss61141

they survive traffic accidents more often as sober people as the body is numb during impact, kinda like elastic.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss51374

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymosh2 View Post
it's really not anything new that drunks are better able to handle trauma.
Very true

Old 06-28-2011, 01:55 PM
sweetsarah
Offline:
┌∩┐ (◣_◢) ┌∩┐
Poster Rank:304
I have a Vajayjay

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2597

They are better able to handle trauma because it's probably being drunk that led to the trauma...

Old 08-05-2011, 12:19 AM
hambone
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1062

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss384

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsarah View Post
They are better able to handle trauma because it's probably being drunk that led to the trauma...
That's been my experience. The only times I've been seriously injured since I started drinking was when I was drunk. Without fail.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:01 AM
fredstones
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:893
Neutered

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss517

I'm sure the sober people say "OH SHIT !" and brace themselves causing resistance. Ultimately snapin shit.

Drunk minds just say "What the fuck?" about 30 seconds too late and they bounce.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:51 AM
scubahood
Offline:
My Rank: GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:475

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1349

someone i know got hit by a car going 90-100km/h loafing around like a fool on a country highway when he was totally hammered ..and he just kind of flipped over it and landed on his back laughing

.. he was a little sore the next day ..