Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2812
Re: Nasa Approves Rocket To Take Humans To Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewvane View Post
My point was that it would be alot easier to set up a deep sea colony (meaning under water) than it would to set up a colony on mars.
I maintain my previous post. Fresh water and oxygen is easily extracted from sea water, hydrogen is easy to extract as well and can be used for fuel. The byproduct of burning hydrogen + oxygen is?????? Water Vapour!!!
Food? Wild fish and other ocean life, fish and other ocean dwelling critters can be farmed, did you know you can eat sea weed?, vegetable crops grown inside the structure will also help remove Co2, and we can even grow meat in labs now as well. So plenty to eat but i do agree there will not be a McDonalds on every street corner.
We are not running out of minerals, we are just running out of places where they are easy and economical to extract.
The only way this ^ wouldn't work is if we suffered an extinction level event that flash boiled all the water or busted the planet into pieces.

As for Mars. We don't have the technology or ability to get enough people, building material, and machinery to construct a self sustaining martian colony. We don't have the technology or ability to terraform a planet. We don't know how to create a thick atmosphere and magnetic field to stabalize temperatures and protect us from cosmic radiation.

Maybe in 300 - 500 years we might have developed technologies that will allow us to start a martian colony and drive around in hover cars, but it certainly won't be in our or our childrens lifetime.
Maybe, but look at the massive leap in technology which has taken place just over the last century, or half-century even, although Im inclined to agree that terraforming a planet is slightly more complicated than putting HD cameras into mobile phones By the way I missed a 0 off when I put 50 years lol.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:20 PM
azdesertsnake01
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:639
Male

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss871

Quote:
My point was that it would be alot easier to set up a deep sea colony (meaning under water) than it would to set up a colony on mars.
I maintain my previous post. Fresh water and oxygen is easily extracted from sea water, hydrogen is easy to extract as well and can be used for fuel. The byproduct of burning hydrogen + oxygen is?????? Water Vapour!!!
Food? Wild fish and other ocean life, fish and other ocean dwelling critters can be farmed, did you know you can eat sea weed?, vegetable crops grown inside the structure will also help remove Co2, and we can even grow meat in labs now as well. So plenty to eat but i do agree there will not be a McDonalds on every street corner.
We are not running out of minerals, we are just running out of places where they are easy and economical to extract.
The only way this ^ wouldn't work is if we suffered an extinction level event that flash boiled all the water or busted the planet into pieces.

As for Mars. We don't have the technology or ability to get enough people, building material, and machinery to construct a self sustaining martian colony. We don't have the technology or ability to terraform a planet. We don't know how to create a thick atmosphere and magnetic field to stabalize temperatures and protect us from cosmic radiation.

Maybe in 300 - 500 years we might have developed technologies that will allow us to start a martian colony and drive around in hover cars, but it certainly won't be in our or our childrens lifetime.
Yes, perhaps it would be easier, but it wouldn't get the desired effect. You speak of getting food from the ocean as though it is plentiful. As I previously have stressed the oceans are already close to being tapped. Just because something isn't on the daily news like wars and politicians and the stock market that I am sick of hearing about doesn't mean it's not true.

I have given you a place to start. The documentary "Mission Blue". Or just start researching it on the net. The information is there for anyone to find.

Yes, I am aware that we can eat seaweed. In fact, I have some in my pantry as I type this. If you think that is some sort of salvation, you're betting on a one legged horse there, lol.

I would rather die personally than eat seaweed as anything more than the occasional novelty, lol. It's ok, but I tired of it VERY quickly. By the 3rd pack, I was over the excitement, lol.

I understand we "Don't" have the technology for the whole Mars thing. In fact, we don't have the technology to get a monkey there. However, this whole thread is about the fact that we are working toward that. Your estimate of 300-500 years is off by about 270-470 years.

Remember, it's not just NASA working on space exploration now. It's every other major country. BUT the private space industry is already and will continue to beat all of them put together.

On top of that, one thing that almost no future analyst allows for is the rise of computers like "Watson". Computers that can run EVERY scenario of how to do something (Like get to and terraform Mars) and come up with the correct and best way to do it in seconds. Rather than decades of trial and error.

Sit down and just TRY to make a list of things that you thought you would never see in your lifetime, yet they are in your house right now. Ipad, iPhone, etc. To say nothing of recent developments in science.

With enough effort put behind it, in 30 years, colonies will be WELL under way on Mars. As far as the building materials you mentioned about getting to Mars, you're TOTALLY right. Which is exactly why they are saying 3D printing will be the way to make it happen.

In 30 years or even less, I wouldn't be surprised if 3D printers could print buildings from the sand on Mars. You say that we don't have the technology to terraform the planet. You're right yet again. But much like just getting to Mars, they are working on it. All of these technologies are being worked on at the same time. So when we do get there, we're not just going to arrive and say "What now?"

Old 09-06-2014, 04:30 PM
azdesertsnake01
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:639
Male

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss871

Quote:
Reading your theory on how we are going to terraform Mars should be interesting. Explain in detail how each step would be accomplished, just don't post links to wikipedia and NASA. Don't forget to include the process of how to establish a permanent magnetosphere to protect the planet from cosmic radiation, increase the planets gravity to a level more suitable for flora and fauna, and let us know exactly who is going to do it and where the money for all this comes from.

As for the arms buildup, this is the wrong thread to go into a lengthy discussion on that topic.
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll try to answer. I'm not quiet sure what proof you are looking for above NASA itself, but quiet simply put, they and MANY others are working on it.

When I started googling the subject, by the time I got almost through typing "terraform", it already came up with "terraforming Mars". Because it is such as hot topic.

I will let anyone who wishes, google the subject themselves. I don't think you are understanding that no one can explain everything you are asking. Not even NASA scientists themselves. Because yet again I say, they are working on it. If they had all of it figured out and completed we would be there tomorrow, instead of 30 years from now, lol.

If there is anything I have learned in my time on earth, it's that anything is possible and when scientists put real effort behind solving a problem, they almost always succeed. They aren't to be confused with politicians who fuck up everything they touch and NEVER get it right!

Old 09-06-2014, 05:37 PM
ralucagymnast
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:289

Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdesertsnake01 View Post
Yes, perhaps it would be easier, but it wouldn't get the desired effect. You speak of getting food from the ocean as though it is plentiful. As I previously have stressed the oceans are already close to being tapped. Just because something isn't on the daily news like wars and politicians and the stock market that I am sick of hearing about doesn't mean it's not true.

I have given you a place to start. The documentary "Mission Blue". Or just start researching it on the net. The information is there for anyone to find.

Yes, I am aware that we can eat seaweed. In fact, I have some in my pantry as I type this. If you think that is some sort of salvation, you're betting on a one legged horse there, lol.

I would rather die personally than eat seaweed as anything more than the occasional novelty, lol. It's ok, but I tired of it VERY quickly. By the 3rd pack, I was over the excitement, lol.

I understand we "Don't" have the technology for the whole Mars thing. In fact, we don't have the technology to get a monkey there. However, this whole thread is about the fact that we are working toward that. Your estimate of 300-500 years is off by about 270-470 years.

Remember, it's not just NASA working on space exploration now. It's every other major country. BUT the private space industry is already and will continue to beat all of them put together.

On top of that, one thing that almost no future analyst allows for is the rise of computers like "Watson". Computers that can run EVERY scenario of how to do something (Like get to and terraform Mars) and come up with the correct and best way to do it in seconds. Rather than decades of trial and error.

Sit down and just TRY to make a list of things that you thought you would never see in your lifetime, yet they are in your house right now. Ipad, iPhone, etc. To say nothing of recent developments in science.

With enough effort put behind it, in 30 years, colonies will be WELL under way on Mars. As far as the building materials you mentioned about getting to Mars, you're TOTALLY right. Which is exactly why they are saying 3D printing will be the way to make it happen.

In 30 years or even less, I wouldn't be surprised if 3D printers could print buildings from the sand on Mars. You say that we don't have the technology to terraform the planet. You're right yet again. But much like just getting to Mars, they are working on it. All of these technologies are being worked on at the same time. So when we do get there, we're not just going to arrive and say "What now?"
Exactly; and, like I said, look how far technology has come in the last century, or even half-century!

The Following User Says Thank You to ralucagymnast For This Useful Post:
azdesertsnake01