Go Back  

Naples, Italy, To DNA Test Dog Poop, You'll Be Fined $700 If Belongs To You Pup 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now
Old 03-03-2014, 05:30 AM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss5491
Naples, Italy, To DNA Test Dog Poop, You'll Be Fined $700 If Belongs To You Pup

Quote:
Well, this is kind of sh*tty, isn't it?

The city of Naples, Italy, is implementing a plan to take DNA tests from dog poop to catch people who don't pick up after their pets, according to The New York Times. If it turns out to be your dog's turd on the sidewalk, you'll be fined 500 euros. That's about $690.

The high-tech tactic isn't only being used in Italy, though. The trend has already spread to places like Israel, Canada, and in communities and apartment complexes in 43 states across the United States.

Here's how it works: First, dogs must be registered and have cheek swabs taken. This is how officials collect their DNA. (In Naples, they're relying on blood samples, the Times notes.) When a small sample of poop is found, it gets sent to a lab to be analyzed. If it belongs to your dog, get ready to pay up.

The Knoxville, Tenn., bio-tech company PooPrints offers these services for between $34.95 and $59.95 per dog, depending on the size of the operation. Cedric Moses, the president of a similar company called P.E.T. CSI, says keeping a neighborhood clean comes down to financial incentives.

“What we’ve seen is, when you start hitting people in their pocket they start paying attention," Moses told CBS Dallas Fort Worth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/23/wo...-nuisance.html
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/scien...an-f2D11663217
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...nup/55528288/1
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/01/22/p...clean-up-yard/
After reading the article (if the name of the town was censored) one may think that this is going to happen in Zurich, In Vienna, in Berlin, In Oslo.
NOPE
This is Naples, a town that apparently has some worse issues:

Quote:
The Naples waste management crisis is a series of events surrounding the lack of waste collection in the city of Naples that peaked in the summer of 2008, and regarding the disposal of the trash is currently unresolved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naples_...nagement_issue
Quote:
The Camorra is an Italian Mafia-type crime syndicate, or secret society, that originated in the region of Campania and its capital Naples. It is one of the oldest and largest criminal organizations in Italy, dating back to the 18th century.
There's a link between the two quotes above.

For starters, a serious dog would refuse to drop a shit there

Click image for larger version

Name:	1122garbage.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	520070

Name:	1122italy.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	520072

Name:	1122naples2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	520073

Name:	1122naples3.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	520074

Name:	1122naples4.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	520075

Name:	1122naples7.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	520076

Name:	1122naples61.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	520077

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	520083
A dog looking very guilty right before dropping a shit, (this didn't happen in Naples): turned out that that very dog was actually guilty for having left shit in the immediate proximity of a pedestrian crossing

[Bonus] Compilation: more examples of dogs looking guilty

Name:	strip1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	520084
and some dogs not looking guilty at all

Name:	strip2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	520085

But seriously, the spokesman of municipal police already stated that they refuse to collect dogs' shit, that's NOT why he joined the police, after all

Passer-by:"Dey, whatchadoin'?"
Policeman:"Eh, i'm collecting a sample of shit, dog shit. I can say this was expelled by a dog because we have been trained for 600 hours before doing this"
Passer-by:"Oh! Why, is it related to some murder?"
Policeman:"Erm... No, this sample will be sent to a laboratory, the data will be compared with the ones belonging to ALL dogs resident in the area and if by disgrace the dog is YOURS then get ready to pay 500€ to say the least"
Passer-by:"Ah, thanks (- speaking to himself - damn, my dog dropped TWO shits yesterday, now with the invention of
CSI: Naples - SDSU (CSI:Naples - Special Dogs Shit Unit) i have to pay 1.000€. , if my dog gets caught: at least, he didn't suffer from diarrhea yesterday."

Naples, is one of the most beautiful places i've ever seen in my life, so many good, honest, selfless people (who are the overwhelming majority) in the hands of a few criminals? Look at the devastation of your beautiful town, because if it's true that organized crime rules there, then this is its product,
AND
You test dogs DNA, (and not that Italy has a good name when it comes to DNA), what if some foreign dog gets caught, will you involve the embassy and ask for extradiction, if the dog is convicted?
LEAVE the DNA alone and change the mushrooms that you are putting on your pizzas because the problem must be there, Naples is a town that needs a much more effective way of cleaning.
There's a saying
Vedi napoli poi muori
See Naples and die
It means that before you die you must experience the beauty and magnificence of Naples, look what a gem

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
Napoli6.jpg  

t5_napoli_alto.jpg  

maxotto-fotolia-napoli.jpg  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
Illusion, K9Grip, TwistedSisterr, winvens
Old 03-03-2014, 10:24 AM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat
Poster Rank:16
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 19389 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649
Re: Naples, Italy, To DNA Test Dog Poop, You'll Be Fined $700 If Belongs To You

Every time I visited Nice, France it was like a dog shit bomb had gone off in the city. It was bad, we'd walk in the street instead.

Why not have some "poop police" volunteers to keep an eye out and give citations? That's a lot of wasted money.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K9Grip For This Useful Post:
gatagato, winvens
Old 03-03-2014, 11:08 AM
MisterX
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:325
male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2362
Re: Naples, Italy, To DNA Test Dog Poop, You'll Be Fined $700 If Belongs To You

Good idea i like the idea of high fines it should get more dog owners cleaning up their mess and maybe the idea will catch on more and more and then maybe my neighbors dog will stop shitting on my lawn so i dont get dog shit on my feet when walking on my own lawn

The Following User Says Thank You to MisterX For This Useful Post:
gatagato