Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss12566
Re: Myth Finally Busted: A Penny Thrown From A Skyscraper Wouldn't Kill You

I remember believing you could kill someone like that when I was a kid. Now I guess we all know it's false.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:13 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Good to know. I'm afraid of heights!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 20/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss61202

always wondered about that

How a penny can kill you:
Quote:
A 50-yen coin and/or a 100-yen coin can kill you, as researchers at Osaka University Medical School handled discovered. As they describe it:

A 28-year-old male was found dead on a bed in a hotel. He had two electric wires, the ends of which were fastened to each coin (50 and 100 yen); the coins were attached to a left hypochondrial region and a left side of the chest. The other ends of the wires were connected to a time switch, which had been connected to a plug top (100 V, 60 Hz alternating current)…. The cause of death was thus judged to be suicidal electrocution. It seems that suicide was influenced by a “Manual Book of Suicide,” which was found in his bag.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:18 AM
bigmikeymike
Offline:
To infinity and beyond!
Poster Rank:538
Weener

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1140

In fluid dynamics an object is moving at its terminal velocity if its speed is constant due to the restraining force exerted by the fluid through which it is moving.

A free-falling object achieves its terminal velocity when the downward force of gravity (FG) equals the upward force of drag (Fd). This causes the net force on the object to be zero, resulting in an acceleration of zero.[1]

As the object accelerates (usually downwards due to gravity), the drag force acting on the object increases, causing the acceleration to decrease. At a particular speed, the drag force produced will equal the object's weight . At this point the object ceases to accelerate altogether and continues falling at a constant speed called terminal velocity (also called settling velocity). An object moving downward with greater than terminal velocity (for example because it was thrown downwards or it fell from a thinner part of the atmosphere or it changed shape) will slow down until it reaches terminal velocity.

Based on wind resistance, for example, the terminal velocity of a skydiver in a belly-to-earth (ie:face down) free-fall position is about 195 km/h (122 mph or 54 m/s).[2] This velocity is the asymptotic limiting value of the acceleration process, because the effective forces on the body balance each other more and more closely as the terminal velocity is approached. In this example, a speed of 50% of terminal velocity is reached after only about 3 seconds, while it takes 8 seconds to reach 90%, 15 seconds to reach 99% and so on.

Higher speeds can be attained if the skydiver pulls in his or her limbs (see also freeflying). In this case, the terminal velocity increases to about 320 km/h (200 mph or 90 m/s),[2] which is almost the terminal velocity of the Peregrine Falcon diving down on its prey.[3] The same terminal velocity is reached for a typical .30-06 bullet dropping downwards—when it is returning to earth having been fired upwards, or dropped from a tower—according to a 1920 U.S. Army Ordnance study

The Following User Says Thank You to bigmikeymike For This Useful Post:
Brainplague
Old 03-14-2012, 12:43 PM
niknik
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:68
Conservative OG

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Quoted: 6772 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss13675

terminal velocity

Old 03-16-2012, 03:51 PM
guitarded
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1824
male

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss172

MMMM.... What would be the terminal velocity , If it was a big rubber dildo?

Old 03-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Brainplague
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:246
Female

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3529

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmikeymike View Post
In fluid dynamics an object is moving at its terminal velocity if its speed is constant due to the restraining force exerted by the fluid through which it is moving.

A free-falling object achieves its terminal velocity when the downward force of gravity (FG) equals the upward force of drag (Fd). This causes the net force on the object to be zero, resulting in an acceleration of zero.[1]

As the object accelerates (usually downwards due to gravity), the drag force acting on the object increases, causing the acceleration to decrease. At a particular speed, the drag force produced will equal the object's weight . At this point the object ceases to accelerate altogether and continues falling at a constant speed called terminal velocity (also called settling velocity). An object moving downward with greater than terminal velocity (for example because it was thrown downwards or it fell from a thinner part of the atmosphere or it changed shape) will slow down until it reaches terminal velocity.

Based on wind resistance, for example, the terminal velocity of a skydiver in a belly-to-earth (ie:face down) free-fall position is about 195 km/h (122 mph or 54 m/s).[2] This velocity is the asymptotic limiting value of the acceleration process, because the effective forces on the body balance each other more and more closely as the terminal velocity is approached. In this example, a speed of 50% of terminal velocity is reached after only about 3 seconds, while it takes 8 seconds to reach 90%, 15 seconds to reach 99% and so on.

Higher speeds can be attained if the skydiver pulls in his or her limbs (see also freeflying). In this case, the terminal velocity increases to about 320 km/h (200 mph or 90 m/s),[2] which is almost the terminal velocity of the Peregrine Falcon diving down on its prey.[3] The same terminal velocity is reached for a typical .30-06 bullet dropping downwards—when it is returning to earth having been fired upwards, or dropped from a tower—according to a 1920 U.S. Army Ordnance study
All that is all well and good, but if anyone is going to get killed like this, it'll be me.

Freak accidents like me, and I could trip over a foot print.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Ozzman
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss614

Mythbusters did this way back in 2006 or something.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:42 PM
bigmikeymike
Offline:
To infinity and beyond!
Poster Rank:538
Weener

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzman View Post
Mythbusters did this way back in 2006 or something.
Diddy did it