Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 10/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss566
Murder/Suicide at Hair Salon.....

Happened today and details are still developing....

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.c...die/?id=137038

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drastic85 For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel, mrm1109
Old 09-13-2012, 01:17 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528
Re: Murder/Suicide at Hair Salon.....

There is a video to go with the story about Smith below this one, but, I cannot get it to play here. If you go to the original link, you can view it there.

<****** src="http://www.keloland.com/_video/_videoplayer_embed.cfm?VideoFile=120911standoff10" frameborder="0" width="326" height="330" name="videoplayer" id="embediframe" scrolling="No"></******>

Salon Worker, 'I Thought... I'm Going To Die'

SIOUX FALLS, SD - Two people are dead following a shooting at a strip mall in Sioux Falls. It happened shortly after 1:00 p.m. Tuesday afternoon near the Cost Cutters on 41st Street in the Plaza 41 building.

Police say 38-year-old Tyrone Leeon Smith shot 24-year-old Amanda Connors, who worked at Cost Cutters, shot in a car in the parking lot. Smith then went into Cost Cutters and held his two young children, their mother, and three other employees hostage before he released them and killed himself.

It was a chain of events that started when Smith went to his children's day care and demanded his two children at gunpoint. Police say just minutes later they received a call for a crash in the parking lot of Cost Cutters where the mother of the children works. When they arrived they found Connors dead of a gunshot wound. But even after making that grim discovery police were called once again.

"Shortly after that we got a call from Cost Cutters that there was a male who was holding people hostage at that location," Sioux Falls Police Sergeant Loren McManus said.

Members of the Sioux Falls SWAT team were called and started surrounding the strip mall. Smith released the four women and the children at about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.

"From what I'm told he never was actually going to hold them. He basically allowed them to leave. I don't know what the conversation was when they left. I don't think they were forced to stay or go. They left on their own," McManus said.

Jamie Fischer, an employee who was in the salon at the time, told KELOLAND News she had a gun pointed at her and a bullet grazed her leg.

"All I thought was, 'I'm going to die,'” Fischer recalled. “Then I told myself to shut up and just prayed."

Police say the four women thought they heard a gun shot as they left the business. And for the next two-and-a-half hours the SWAT team took several precautions as they tried to enter the building. When they finally did they discovered that Smith had killed himself.

Police don't know why Smith killed Connors but they do know that the 38-year-old was having troubles with the mother of his children who was Connors' co-worker at Cost Cutters.

"His wife, or girlfriend, whatever their domestic relationship is, that seems to be where the issue was at. I believe Ms. Connors was an employee of Cost Cutters but I don't know what the relationship was and why she was targeted," McManus said.

And that's the question police will try to answer as they continue their investigation.

Tyrone Smith: Several Protection Orders

SIOUX FALLS, SD - Smith had a history of violence. In fact we did some checking and found there are 14 different protection orders involving Smith in Minnehaha County since 2009.

But the most recent two, which we're going to take a closer look at, were filed on Tuesday. One is by his girlfriend, the other by Smith's own mother on behalf of his 17-year-old son who tried to intervene in the fight on Sunday.

According to most recent protection order, on September 9, 2012, Smith became violent because he found out his girlfriend had gone through his phone bill.

It states, "Smith got in his girlfriend's face and started calling her names. When his girlfriend tried leaving the house with her babies, Smith pushed her onto the bed and got into her face again and put his hands around her neck."

She told him to stop, which he did, but then got up and took the babies and put them in their car seats.

He asked to see his girlfriend's cell phone and when she showed it to him and saw she had been talking to some of her friends. Smith then threw her phone against the wall breaking it. He then took their two kids and went to the car and locked the doors. That's when she called police.

In the same protection order, Smith's girlfriend wrote; back in August, Smith got mad and took her daughter's computer and busted it.

And became angry one other time, because he thought she was asking too many questions. So he took the baby's bottle and threw it at her; hitting her on the bridge of her nose.

The other protection order filed this week was from the same incident, but filed by Smith's own mother. She was trying to protect Smith's 17-year-old son who got involved in the fight between Smith and his girlfriend.

She says Smith's son jumped in the middle grabbing his dad off of her, but was assaulted in the process and threatened to physically harm him.

Smith's mother went onto say that Smith is a, "violent person," and has choked his girlfriend on many occasions.

We chose not to release the names Smith's girlfriend and son because they are victims in this case.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:43 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts