Go Back  

Mountie Killer Gets Longest Sentence in Canadian History 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now
 
  #11  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Illusion's Avatar
Illusion
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:27
Join Date: Oct 2009
Contributions: 23
 
Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 10914 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss25847
Re: Mountie Killer Gets Longest Sentence in Canadian History

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVrist View Post
They should have some budget cuts and make room for it
Since 1978 California and the US government have together spent some $4bn on the state's death row, yet only 13 prisoners have been executed. That's an average of $308m for each execution.

Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Illusion For This Useful Post:
icheerthebull, rob666, Wage, winvens
  #12  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:33 AM
TheVrist's Avatar
TheVrist
Offline:
😉
Poster Rank:88
dude
Join Date: Jan 2010
Contributions: 1
 
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4573 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss11707
Re: Mountie Killer Gets Longest Sentence in Canadian History

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr black View Post
Since 1978 California and the US government have together spent some $4bn on the state's death row, yet only 13 prisoners have been executed. That's an average of $308m for each execution.
That is simply inflation due to cause.
Its like a plumber charging double for having to crawl under the house to do something that actually cost nothing too do.

__________________
leaving people pounding their refresh button circa 2010.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheVrist For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001
  #13  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Illusion's Avatar
Illusion
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:27
Join Date: Oct 2009
Contributions: 23
 
Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 10914 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss25847
Re: Mountie Killer Gets Longest Sentence in Canadian History

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVrist View Post
That is simply inflation due to cause.
Its like a plumber charging double for having to crawl under the house to do something that actually cost nothing too do.
It’s true that the actual execution costs taxpayers fairly little (approx. $100 per lethal cocktail). However, the outside costs associated with the death penalty are much higher. Defending a death penalty case costs about four times as much as defending a case where the death penalty is not considered. On average a death-penalty trial costs $1 million more than one in which prosecutors seek life without parole. And that's not including appeals. When it's all said and done it’s 10 times more expensive to kill them than to keep them alive.

Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Illusion For This Useful Post:
icheerthebull, rob666, Wage, winvens
  #14  
Old 11-03-2014, 10:03 AM
TheVrist's Avatar
TheVrist
Offline:
😉
Poster Rank:88
dude
Join Date: Jan 2010
Contributions: 1
 
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4573 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss11707
Re: Mountie Killer Gets Longest Sentence in Canadian History

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr black View Post
It’s true that the actual execution costs taxpayers fairly little (approx. $100 per lethal cocktail). However, the outside costs associated with the death penalty are much higher. Defending a death penalty case costs about four times as much as defending a case where the death penalty is not considered. On average a death-penalty trial costs $1 million more than one in which prosecutors seek life without parole. And that's not including appeals. When it's all said and done it’s 10 times more expensive to kill them than to keep them alive.
Which the state justify imploring on the public after the fact. The trials don't differ in nature of proceedings, the only difference is the sentencing.

But after a court rules death, the state taxes the hell out of all proceeding retroactive from the time the crime was committed with a "death penalty" label.

Another words, overly inflated, manipulating the public into accepting it for the -cause-

It is harder for states to justify 300 million for a guy in a 12x12, but it is easy too fool the public in thinking it somehow cost more in the proceedings.

Which in truth, never changes until sentencing date.

__________________
leaving people pounding their refresh button circa 2010.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-03-2014, 04:33 PM
rob666's Avatar
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55
Join Date: May 2009
 
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567
Re: Mountie Killer Gets Longest Sentence in Canadian History

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVrist View Post
Which the state justify imploring on the public after the fact. The trials don't differ in nature of proceedings, the only difference is the sentencing.

But after a court rules death, the state taxes the hell out of all proceeding retroactive from the time the crime was committed with a "death penalty" label.

Another words, overly inflated, manipulating the public into accepting it for the -cause-

It is harder for states to justify 300 million for a guy in a 12x12, but it is easy too fool the public in thinking it somehow cost more in the proceedings.

Which in truth, never changes until sentencing date.
A lot of it is due to the appeal process, but without that how many innocent people might have been put to death? DNA has shown us just how rotten the system can be for some people.
You're only entitled to the best defender you can afford

Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
Wage, winvens
  #16  
Old 11-03-2014, 04:58 PM
TheVrist's Avatar
TheVrist
Offline:
😉
Poster Rank:88
dude
Join Date: Jan 2010
Contributions: 1
 
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4573 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss11707
Re: Mountie Killer Gets Longest Sentence in Canadian History

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
A lot of it is due to the appeal process, but without that how many innocent people might have been put to death? DNA has shown us just how rotten the system can be for some people.
You're only entitled to the best defender you can afford
Plenty of people doing life terms apeal.....out of boredom.


Difs is..

State says an death roll inmates apeal cost more than a bored lifer's

__________________
leaving people pounding their refresh button circa 2010.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-03-2014, 05:42 PM
30564U's Avatar
30564U
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:298
Comrade
Join Date: Aug 2013
 
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668
Re: Mountie Killer Gets Longest Sentence in Canadian History

Seventy five years for the murder of three police officers? Sounds a bit lite to me. How about 300 years...100 years for each officer?

Reply With Quote
The Following Users Disliked This Post By 30564U:
Wage
  #18  
Old 11-04-2014, 05:43 PM
rob666's Avatar
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55
Join Date: May 2009
 
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567
Re: Mountie Killer Gets Longest Sentence in Canadian History

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30564U View Post
Seventy five years for the murder of three police officers? Sounds a bit lite to me. How about 300 years...100 years for each officer?
You're probably right.

Minimum 75 years before he can apply for parole, he's already 30ish....... He'll never get out.

Totally agree in many cases our justice system is far too lenient. I'm all for rehabilitation, but too often dangerous people get out and just victimize people again.
Our courts need to do a better job protecting society.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
winvens
The Following Users Disliked This Post By rob666:
Wage
  #19  
Old 11-04-2014, 06:10 PM
TheVrist's Avatar
TheVrist
Offline:
😉
Poster Rank:88
dude
Join Date: Jan 2010
Contributions: 1
 
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4573 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss11707
Re: Mountie Killer Gets Longest Sentence in Canadian History

I'm in the frame of mind that we create Australia 2.0 for long timer/repeat offenders, and the most dangerous.. Save our prisons for real rehabilitation for short timer, first offenders.

__________________
leaving people pounding their refresh button circa 2010.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Illusion's Avatar
Illusion
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:27
Join Date: Oct 2009
Contributions: 23
 
Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 10914 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss25847
Re: Mountie Killer Gets Longest Sentence in Canadian History

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVrist View Post
The proceedings were fast.
He pleaded guilty to three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder from the start, so there was no trial. The Judge advised him at the time that he could be facing consecutive life sentences with no chance of parole for 75 years and that's exactly what he game him. He'll be eligible for parole when he's 99 years old...

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Illusion For This Useful Post:
TheVrist

Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2010 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO