Go Back  

Mother Jumps Eight Stories to Her Death with Her Infant Son Strapped to Her Chest 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 03-14-2013, 06:36 PM
knuggy
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:425
M
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 12/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss1627
Mother Jumps Eight Stories to Her Death with Her Infant Son Strapped to Her Chest

nydailynews-Wed 13 March 2013

A Manhattan lawyer strapped her 10-month-old son to her chest and leaped to her death from an eighth-story window in Harlem on Wednesday — and the baby miraculously survived with little more than scratches, police sources said.
Cynthia Wachenheim, 44, who left a suicide note castigating herself for being a bad mother, landed on her back after taking the fatal plunge. Baby Keston was in a harness. He bounced off his mom on impact and then rolled away from her motionless arms.
“I heard a small scream when she was in the air,” said witness Steven Dominguez, 18. “I noticed something falling, but I didn’t want to believe it was a person.”
Dominguez, who teared up as he spoke, said the landing made a horrifying sound.
“It was a loud bang,” he said outside the woman’s building on Bradhurst Ave. near W. 147th St. “It sounded like a big piece of wood hitting the floor.”
“When I got closer, I saw the baby crying,” he said.

The baby was in stable condition Wednesday night at Harlem Hospital, hours after his mother’s 3:30 p.m. jump.
Sources said Wachenheim left a rambling 13-page, handwritten suicide note on small pages of notebook paper.
“The note said she was not happy and she talked about what she planned to do,” a source said. In the note, Wachenheim is “saying to her husband, ‘I love you. I’m making you suffer. You’re going to think I’m evil,’” a source said.
“She thinks she’s a failing mother. On the last page, she refers to postpartum depression. She was supposed to see a therapist, but she blew him off.
“As the note goes on, you get the idea she’s explaining why she’s going to do it,” the source added.
The note, which mentions little Keston having a physical handicap, was unsigned — but cops compared it to handwriting samples and determined that it was written by Wachenheim, the source said.
Police learned — not from the note — that Wachenheim was convinced her baby had cerebral palsy, although doctors said there was nothing wrong with him, said the source.
Wachenheim’s husband, Hal Bacharach, 48, was at work when his wife jumped, the source said. He was spotted on surveillance video leaving the upscale building at 12:55 p.m., less than three hours before the leap. Neighbors said he stormed out of their two-bedroom condo after a loud argument. Shouting echoed through the halls.
“He was yelling at her today,” said Christian Johnson, 37. “It made me stop and listen. He was asking her why she wouldn’t pick up the phone. He kept repeating it. Then, the baby started crying.”
A police source said Wachenheim was taking antidepressants and that pills were found in the apartment.
A different police source said Wednesday was the first time police were ever called to the apartment. The couple had lived at The Sutton — where similar apartments run about $325,000 — for about three years.
Wachenheim, a high school valedictorian in Albany and a Columbia Law grad, was on maternity leave from her $118,000-a-year job in the city court system. She worked there for more than 15 years doing research and writing for judges.

Two NYPD narcotics detectives were parking a car nearby and were the first to respond after they saw the tragic fall.
Cops took the boy, who appeared to only have scratches and minor injuries, to Harlem Hospital. He was listed in stable condition and was expected to survive

Cynthia Wachenheim

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to knuggy For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, Darkest Angel, diamondsmiles, invertigo, JamesPeach, Kanda444, kellyhound, Pyramid_Head
Old 03-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Kanda444
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 20135 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss49377
Re: Mother Jumps Eight Stories to Her Death with Her Infant Son Strapped to Her Chest

i take back my previous comments... postpartum depression is a fuckin crazy thing... sad. :-(

Darkest Angel, diamondsmiles, mrm1109, SouthrnHunnix420
Old 03-14-2013, 08:14 PM
GregK
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:313
male

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2473
Re: Mother Jumps Eight Stories to Her Death with Her Infant Son Strapped to Her Chest

Ehh bad mother....so you try and kill it. Good thing she made a good cushion.

The Following User Says Thank You to GregK For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 03-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Darkest Angel
Offline:
Born in the USA
Poster Rank:74
100% female

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12899

At least the baby defeated death & will have a chance to live.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darkest Angel For This Useful Post:
CuriousOne, diamondsmiles
Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12566

Thank God the baby lived and can now be with the father.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 03-15-2013, 01:27 AM
CuriousOne
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:1033
Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss402

For fuck's sake...I'm amazed the baby wasn't more injured, or didn't suffer some sort of brain or neck/spinal injury from the impact of the fall. I mean at that velocity I would think the mother's body would only absorb some of it.

Maybe I'm wrong. Either way I'm glad the little one is okay!
Man. I take depression meds now, and I worry about getting postpartum depression...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CuriousOne For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, SouthrnHunnix420
Old 03-15-2013, 04:15 AM
invertigo
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:258
I need a nap =|
Contributions: 43

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3276

PPD is such a tragic and devastating illness I can't feel anything other than sadness or bring myself to pass judgement on these women because of it.
But that first picture is all I need to think she's evil O_O
Look at her eyes

diamondsmiles, mrm1109
Old 03-15-2013, 04:21 AM
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:395
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1836

crazy !!

The Following User Says Thank You to thissiteisfuckedup For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 03-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

ffs

The Following User Says Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 03-15-2013, 05:32 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
7/11 ssss61186

damn, she looks evil on that pic