Male

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2077
Re: 'Mental' Costumes: Asda And Tesco Apologise

Asylums and horror will always go hand in hand. Trying to separate the two is a non-starter. Crazy people are scary because they are unpredictable. If some housewife whose sanity was ate the fuck up by xanax abuse took offense to the word crazy, good. The truly mentally ill people aren't the one who are irate over this. It is the people who are sad because they suck at life and claim mental illness as an excuse. My schizophrenic friend couldn't give two fucks about this. He is too busy worrying about the angels invading popular media. Dead serious. I have been diagnosed as "depressed" but that doesn't mean I take offense every time I see a straight jacket or tongue depressor. You have to live a pretty NERF life to think this is a battle worth fighting. Do these people never struggle with bills or getting errands taken care of? Who has enough free time to care about a Halloween costume that they aren't planning to buy or wear? If it matters that much, start a program or raise money. Don't impotently tweet your distress.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Wal-Mart pulls Osama bin Laden costume after pressure from Sikh community

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ty.html?pg=all

An Osama bin Laden costume sold by Wal-Mart and other major United States retailers has been removed after store management officials received complaints from the Sikh community.

According to the Huffington Post, the Sikh Coalition, a United States-based Sikh advocacy group, sent letters and made phone calls to several U.S. retailers for removal of the costume, which was being sold at Wal-Mart, Amazon.com, Sears and Rite Aid but has since been removed.

The bin Laden costume, developed by Fun World Games, includes a white turban and a full beard.

“If you lost a loved one during the 9/11 attacks or during our nation's war against Al Qaeda, or if someone attacked your father in a hate crime because he wears a turban, I doubt this costume would make you comfortable,” said Rajdeep Singh, director of law and policy at the Sikh Coalition, to the Huffington Post.

“We sincerely apologize to any customers who may have been offended by this costume,” the Wal-Mart spokesman said, who added the costume was not available in stores.

Letters sent out by the Sikh community include an image of the costume and a photo of bin Laden to showcase the similarities between the two outfits, according to Syracuse.com.

Letters sent by the Sikh Coalition to Amazon.com said the costume “insults those who lost loved ones during 9/11 terrorist attacks, insults American soldiers injured or killed in pursuit of Al Qaeda, and perpetuates negative stereotypes about turbans and beards that have led to violence and discrimination against Sikhs and other minorities.”

The complaints come on the heels of a recent assault on a Sikh Columbia professor and a Muslim woman last week. Dr. Prabhjot Singh was assaulted on Sept. 21 in what was described as a possible hate crime. The suspect or suspects allegedly yelled anti-Muslim statements, knocked Singh to the ground and punched and kicked him several times in the face.

Deacon Greg Kandra of the Deacon’s Bench explained why Wal-Mart is an "equal opportunity offender," noting how some previous costumes and products have offended other religions.

The Following User Says Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
JohnFrash
Old 10-04-2013, 08:05 AM
JohnFrash
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:359
Male

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2077

What if someone has very fair skin, and all these ghost costumes make them feel stigmatized? Can we pull all of them, too? Should we not do zombie makeup in case someone has eczema or psoriasis? No princesses in case someone is struggling financially or has an issue with traditional gender roles? I don't have the calves for all this tip-toeing...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnFrash For This Useful Post:
IIvIIRRIIvII, Megamel29
Old 10-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Supremespeed
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:10789

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana dick View Post
millions of people suffer from debilitating mental illnesses. there is still a major stigma attached to it, and costumes like this do nothing but further perpetuate negative stereotypes. would it be ok to make offensive costumes depicting disfigured veterans? how about black people or people with AIDS? it is never ok to turn something as deadly as mental illness into a joke. especially not when people are already being discriminated against, belittled and portrayed as damaged because of them. the people have spoken and the consensus is that this is offensive.

anybody worth their weight in cat shit can see why things like this are problematic. that being said, it must be nice to live in a world where nothing touches you, and where you don't have experience being discriminated against for your entire life based on something that was never your fault. your desire for an OMG EDGY costume will never be more important than the rights of the mentally ill to be treated with respect and dignity. in short, get the fuck over it.
I have seen these, except for AIDS... hmm powdered white skin and hospital gown hooked up to IV I suppose? Thanks for the idea!

Now to work on making blood filled kunai syringes.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 PM
IIvIIRRIIvII
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:5698

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss25

Here's a similar story getting some attention:Walmart pulls Naughty Leopard costume for toddlers

Maybe it's hard to tell from the picture on the packaging but I don't really see anything sexual about this. Maybe some people only see a sexual connotation with the word "naughty". Some of the pics of the teen outfits below the article I can see people getting offended about, but slutty halloween teenagers isn't anything new really.