Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss51374
Man's Halloween Display Making Children Cry

Quote:
'It's making children cry': Police tell man to tone down annual charity Halloween display in honour of his grandmother

Angry parent complained macabre display was 'scaring children'

James Creighton branded the reaction 'ridiculous'
Bar worker creates gruesome display each year for Cancer Research UK

A Halloween fan who put up a gruesome display of 'disembowelled corpses' outside his home has been asked by police to tone it down.

James Creighton, 25, was told that his scene was making children cry with its macabre reconstruction of a scene from The Texas Chainshaw Massacre.

He has put the display up outside his house in Stevenage, England, UK to raise funds for charity every year since his grandmother died in 2009.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hall1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	490473
James Creighton was 'shocked' when police officers knocked on the door of his Stevenage home. He creates the annual display to raise money for Cancer Research UK in memory of his gran Betty, who died in 2009

But one parent complained to Hertfordshire Constabulary, concerned that the collection of 'bloody corpses and gory skeletons' was scaring young children.

But Mr Creighton said: 'I can't believe it to be honest. I can't see what I've done wrong.'

The decorations were assembled outside the front of his home at the start of the month to support Cancer Research UK.

The annual fundraiser is held in memory of Mr Creighton's beloved grandmother Betty, who died of cancer in 2009.

But on Tuesday, Mr Creighton received a visit from two police officers who asked that he make the set 'less frightening'.

Name:	hall2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	490474
An angry parent complained to police that the gruesome display was reducing children to tears

'When the police turned up I don't think they knew what to say,' he said. 'They told me there had been a complaint and that I needed to "tone it down" by taking some decorations down.

'I'm told someone walks by with young children and they are crying every time they see it.
'The police told me they want me to put a black tarpaulin across the bottom of the fence so children can't see it, but it spoils it for everyone else then.
'It's not something I want to do to be honest. I will admit some of the things I've added to the house this year are quite gory - but that's the whole point of Halloween.

'I always get young children saying "mummy look at that house" and everyone seems to love it.'

He's now hoping to save what he can of his stomach-churning pride and joy.

'I'm sure if the parent had come and spoken to me we could have come to a compromise,' insisted Mr Creighton.

'I don't know why they felt the need to go to the police about it. It's so ridiculous it's almost funny.'
Last October he raised £1,150 for the charity through donations and he has already collected more than £700 so far this year.

Name:	hall3.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	490475
Mr Creighton designs a terrifying Halloween display each year to raise money for Cancer Research UK in memory of his gran Betty, who died from the disease in 2009

'I've been doing it for quite a few years and I've got a big Cancer Research UK banner outside, so everyone knows what it's for,' he added.

'I've always loved Halloween and decorating the house was something that my nan and mum did for me when I was younger.

'So now I'm carrying it on in my nan's memory and just trying to do my best for her and the charity - it's an excellent cause.'

A Hertfordshire Police spokesman said: 'We have visited a resident of Grove Road in Stevenage concerning a Halloween display in his garden, following a complaint from a member of the public.
'We have offered words of advice.'

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Sharon For This Useful Post:
5umguy24, audiomouth, BBKF, Darkest Angel, Drumstickshredder, IC10021, Jamusdevil, JONESJIM, Kanda444, kellyhound, Megamel29, Pyramid_Head, shoelessjojackson
Old 10-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss51374
Re: Man's Halloween Display Making Children Cry

One complaint and he has to take it all down

The Following User Says Thank You to Sharon For This Useful Post:
BBKF
Old 10-17-2013, 01:47 PM
flangemanager
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:874
Award: Longest nipples

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss531

For a good cause, but a bit early for Halloween decor imo. I assume he'll be putting his Xmas tree up in November as well.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:54 PM
ices
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3655

Quote:
Originally Posted by flangemanager View Post
F I assume he'll be putting his Xmas tree up in November as well.
Thats the norm for a lot of numpties in England.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss51374

Quote:
Originally Posted by flangemanager View Post
For a good cause, but a bit early for Halloween decor imo. I assume he'll be putting his Xmas tree up in November as well.
He's probably started his display early to generate enough public views to do some fundraising. Having it up just for the short duration of Halloween won't net him much donations. I'm assuming!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sharon For This Useful Post:
BBKF, Drumstickshredder, kellyhound, spycosis
Old 10-17-2013, 02:42 PM
spycosis
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:683
XY

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon. View Post
One complaint and he has to take it all down
I don't think he has to take it down.. reading into it, the police said they have offered words of advice, which usually means they have no legal basis to do anything. If a law court has to make a ruling on the allowed scariness of Halloween decorations it could have a domino effect and lead to thousands of people claiming damages for emotional distress, where the law is contravened. So the police can't do shit really. That's why it was a friendly visit, that's why Mr. Creighton didn't bump his head by accident as he was being "helped" into a police van. The next course of action the police can legally pursue would be to harass Mr. Creighton and his family continually should he fail to comply.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spycosis For This Useful Post:
IC10021, Sharon
Old 10-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss49337

i wouldnt take it down it's the one time of the year where you get to be like this... if somebody was going to try to make me tear it down, i would raise holy fuckin hell about the crucifix that's publicly displayed off the freeway here.... cause apparently to some, it's not ok to have some fun during Halloween but it is ok to have a statue of a guy being barbarically executed publicly displayed year round

BBKF, Darkest Angel, dcaccount22, Drumstickshredder, IC10021, JohnFrash, Megamel29, Pyramid_Head, Sharon, shinycatcreations, swheaton, THELORDABORTION
Old 10-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Shakey
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:18
MAN

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Quoted: 21394 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 14/20
Today Posts
6/11 ssss37635

How about the parents teaching their kids the difference between fantasy and reality

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shakey For This Useful Post:
BBKF, Drumstickshredder, kellyhound
Old 10-17-2013, 07:29 PM
SouthrnHunnix420
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2473

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss106

This is ridiculous... So now Halloween is sensored? What a joke... But I bet you their kids are boozing and fucking by age 10. What a backwards world.

The Following User Says Thank You to SouthrnHunnix420 For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel
Old 10-17-2013, 09:57 PM
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:348
BULL

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2117